Kidney stones

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I had my first (and hopefully last) early Friday morning. It woke me up. Tried driving to the ER. Had to abandon my truck and get an ambulance ride.

They told me to limit my calcium intake. I guess I can't treat half-n-half like a beverage anymore.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I hear they're quite painful.

What did they do for (to) you for it?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I hear they're quite painful.

What did they do for (to) you for it?
They gave me a bunch of painkillers with a saline chaser, did a PET scan, and told me I could go home if I found a ride. The wife is overseas, so I had a coworker pick me up.

It took about 10 hours to pass. Not much they could do except dull the pain (which I am grateful for).

Reactions: Turtle

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had one back in 2003. The nurse that treated me in the ER told me that she had suffered one kidney stone and had 3 kids; she informed me that the pain I was enduring was, in her exact words "as close as a mere and lowly male will ever come to the pain of childbirth". :eek::eek::eek:

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Had one 10 years ago. Literally felt like a corkscrew was being jammed into my lower back. Pain was so bad I was puking. Had to go do a photo shoot with my brother out in North Carolina though. So he took me to the hospital and I got a CT-Scan, they pumped me full of pain killer. Headed off to NC -- even helped drive a little -- on nothing stronger than Ibuprofen. The hospital had me buy a kind of funnel with a screen in it to catch any stones. Next day two little red-brown stones came out.

Key to prevention is drinking plenty of water. Flush 'em out before they get big.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had one 10 years ago. Literally felt like a corkscrew was being jammed into my lower back. Pain was so bad I was puking. Had to go do a photo shoot with my brother out in North Carolina though. So he took me to the hospital and I got a CT-Scan, they pumped me full of pain killer. Headed off to NC -- even helped drive a little -- on nothing stronger than Ibuprofen. The hospital had me buy a kind of funnel with a screen in it to catch any stones. Next day two little red-brown stones came out.

Key to prevention is drinking plenty of water. Flush 'em out before they get big.
Another key prevention is to Not drink dark colored pop (coke , pepsi , rc ) doctor instructed me that the ingredients worsen the kidney stone condition.... knock on wood been years for me...