Kicked out by TA

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
That's not really hearsay, as it cannot be determined as such without one follow-up question, namely, '"How did he find it out?" If it was directly from the security guard or manager, or from someone else who witnessed the trashing (or by viewing the surveillance video), it's not hearsay.

Objection your honor,the witness has watched too many reruns of Perry Mason.

Sustained, and the court will take a short recess.

moonweed

Seasoned Expediter
That's not really hearsay, as it cannot be determined as such without one follow-up question, namely, '"How did he find it out?" If it was directly from the security guard or manager, or from someone else who witnessed the trashing (or by viewing the surveillance video), it's not hearsay.

As for the Denton TA, I've stayed there many a night, sometimes more than one, without any problems at all.

it actually was the security guard that told us...and he wasn't too nice about it, either...we wound up parking at some real dive of a truckstop a few miles east of there...but for a short time...we got a load a few hours after that, so we didn't have to look at that eyesore, again.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
it actually was the security guard that told us...and he wasn't too nice about it, either...we wound up parking at some real dive of a truckstop a few miles east of there...but for a short time...we got a load a few hours after that, so we didn't have to look at that eyesore, again.

We woke up to a note taped to the driver's side window. At least we got some sleep, anyway. Must have been the white van, raised roof and being parked away from general traffic that tipped them off. No signage. No QC.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
We woke up to a note taped to the driver's side window. At least we got some sleep, anyway. Must have been the white van, raised roof and being parked away from general traffic that tipped them off. No signage. No QC.

You probably slept through the pounding on the window..

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Doesn't look white to me.

:D

Free+Candy.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All I know is (other than understanding both the broad scope and the narrower legal usage definitions of hearsay) that if you ever have a legitimate problem of any kind at a TA, pick up the phone and call corporate, and it'll be worked out.

moonweed

Seasoned Expediter

no logo or QC? well...that would raise a few questions, just about anywhere...had that issue with a company out of kentucky...no stickers..nothing on the van, marking it as a commercial vehicle...
we had the big red Express-1 stickers on, and a QC...and the idiot told us we still had to leave....he even had the nerve to tell us we could talk to the manager, if we wanted, but it wouldn't do any good!
i think TA in general is becoming the evil child of truckstops....look at the one off I-24, outside of nashville...the one off I-65, south of town is a better place to park..never had a problem there, at all

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've probably spent more time at the TA in Antioch (off I-24 outside Nashville) than any other truck stop. It's my home two hours from home. I was there three weeks ago. I've never had a problem there. Not once.

moonweed

Seasoned Expediter
I've probably spent more time at the TA in Antioch (off I-24 outside Nashville) than any other truck stop. It's my home two hours from home. I was there three weeks ago. I've never had a problem there. Not once.

the rent-a-cop that works there at night has a problem with anyone standing around...even if you're just outside the door having a smoke, he'll ask to see your CDL (some companies don't require one for cargo/sprinter vans)..and if you don't have one, he'll tell you that you need to leave. doofus acts like he owns the place.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
no logo or QC? well...that would raise a few questions, just about anywhere...had that issue with a company out of kentucky...no stickers..nothing on the van, marking it as a commercial vehicle...
we had the big red Express-1 stickers on, and a QC...and the idiot told us we still had to leave....he even had the nerve to tell us we could talk to the manager, if we wanted, but it wouldn't do any good!
i think TA in general is becoming the evil child of truckstops....look at the one off I-24, outside of nashville...the one off I-65, south of town is a better place to park..never had a problem there, at all

With the raised roof it looks like a passenger van. Still, any van in their parking lot = expediter in their mind. And you know what problems expediters can be...spending money in their store, buying their fuel. Just a dastardly bunch :p

T/A in Antioch, TN was our home 600 miles from home, too. I miss "our" spot. Never any trouble there.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Well it has to do with driver cleanliness and respect. I watched last night a c/v driver get out of his van and take a pee behind his door. I want say the carrier name because that doesn't matter it is what one driver did. But he was asked to leave because a customer in the resturaunt saw him through the window.

Also there was a sprinter a week or 2 back outside st Louis parked out front that was cleaning his van out and left trash and paper towels on the ground from cleaning his glass.

Me personally have parked straight trucks out front for 2 days at a time and never had a problem. I frequent the stores and resturaunts and always courteous they are friendly right back.

Also for you smokers do not throw your butts out the window. Use your ash tray. I see some trucks/vans with a mound of butts beside the truck and employees out there ****ed off having to clean up their mess.

Would I be irritated? You bet and we all know you would as well.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
yup.....lord forbid we spend money at a TA...wouldn't want to rock the boat

Spend money and just let them know when you go in that you are an expediter and you are laying over. Unmarked vans always are targeted because of the fact most have no rear windows and no lettering. To managers who look out and see the van moving because you are in the back moving around automatically assume there is lot lizards in that van making money.

They don't know you situation until you tell them. Sometimes they understand sometimes they don't.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Spend money and just let them know when you go in that you are an expediter and you are laying over. Unmarked vans always are targeted because of the fact most have no rear windows and no lettering. To managers who look out and see the van moving because you are in the back moving around automatically assume there is lot lizards in that van making money.

They don't know you situation until you tell them. Sometimes they understand sometimes they don't.

Can you even run a C/v with out markings legally?

i once laid over in the far outside corner of a Walmart. The manager came out a few hours after I got there and demanded i leave. I produced the receipt from my trip in the store (truck needed a new tv and some other goodies), I handed it to him and said "sure, after I return this stuff"...

I was allowed to stay ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Can you even run a C/v with out markings legally?
Well, you gotta have a license plate. And if you're plated in Michigan you have to comply with the door markings required in that state. Otherwise, no markings of any kind are required for a vehicle of 10,000 pounds or less (unless you're hauling material requiring a HAZMAT placard, or is a vehicle designed to carry 15 or more passengers including the driver).

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Well, you gotta have a license plate. And if you're plated in Michigan you have to comply with the door markings required in that state. Otherwise, no markings of any kind are required for a vehicle of 10,000 pounds or less (unless you're hauling material requiring a HAZMAT placard, or is a vehicle designed to carry 15 or more passengers including the driver).

Thanks.. Maybe I'll just leave the mag signs stuck to the inside roof of my van.. Been a time or two I've had to double back and pick them up.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I certainly understand the slobby expediters who have ruined it for the rest of us. I don't even throw my cigarette butts on the ground, I have a receptacle I put them in. We bag our trash in the vehicle as we go, tie it off and make sure it gets into the trash can in the lot, not "close enough". As for being talked to face to face? That didn't happen. Just a note taped to the driver's side window.

As for no signage, the van ran with Michigan commercial plates.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
. I don't even throw my cigarette butts on the ground, I have a receptacle I put them in.

I've had, unfortunately, a couple codrivers who smoked. One wised up and quit after he got lung cancer. Another would take a small can, put about an inch of water in it, and use that as his ashtray. Eliminated ashes all over the place, and easy to dispose of.

As for no signage, the van ran with Michigan commercial plates.
You/re lucky the boys in Kalamazoo didn't catch up with you. Apparently, all the robbers and rapists there have been caught so they're looking for other things to do, and citing peaceful van owners without signage. But as has been noted, it's only applicable if you have Michigan plates.

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I don't ever recall being in Kalamazoo area, even passing through. Luckily all our Michigan-based freight, coming or going, has been from Saginaw, the Thumb region, Flint, Detroit 'burbs, which worked for us since we live in SE Michigan.

I never smoked in the van or any vehicle for that matter. If that means going 6 or more hours without a smoke, then so be it. As for the fact it can kill me, I would hate to think I do this for nothing :p