Key To Happiness

Noname

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I may be late to the game on this solution, but my recently lost van keys taught me a lesson. Replacement key, with mandatory chip coding, is $170.00. And the vehicle has to be at the dealers for whatever reason, so if it can't be driven there, it must be towed in. I bought a small name tag that fits on my key rings and listed my cell phone, hoping that any future finder of lost key will call me. Those small tags are 3 for $1.00 at Walmart or Lowes. After getting the replacement quote, I searched a lot harder and finally found the missing set. Parts manager said some makes can cost $400 for a new key.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You should look into getting a valet key or other type of "dumb" key that just unlocks the doors. My wife's Buick has one.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
that is why I carry 2 key's in my pocket
when I had my straight truck, kept key in box, cheaper to cut one lock , then calling a lock smith

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I may be late to the game on this solution, but my recently lost van keys taught me a lesson. Replacement key, with mandatory chip coding, is $170.00. And the vehicle has to be at the dealers for whatever reason, so if it can't be driven there, it must be towed in. I bought a small name tag that fits on my key rings and listed my cell phone, hoping that any future finder of lost key will call me. Those small tags are 3 for $1.00 at Walmart or Lowes. After getting the replacement quote, I searched a lot harder and finally found the missing set. Parts manager said some makes can cost $400 for a new key.
My cell# .. on my keys .. in a strangers hands? No thanks. In today's world that makes me uneasy. I don't think of the few honest people that would call & say they have my keys. I think of the few dishonest people that would try to find out where I live & steal my van.

Good alternatives already mentioned.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app