Keurig coffee maker

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We just added a Keurig coffee maker to our truck. Is anyone else using one and how are they holding up in a truck bouncing down the highway?
Full disclosure: we already have one at home.:)

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have had one with us for 2.5 years with great luck. I also have one at home.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How much coffee does one of those little cups make? On the surface they seem more expensive that regular coffee does. Am I wrong?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
They make 6, 8 or 10 0z. About 70 to 80 cents a cup. I don't drink coffee but my wife loves Dunkin Donuts coffee and sleepy tyme tea. She can now have a fresh hot cup of her favorite anytime she wants. No more over priced nasty truck stop coffee for her.:D

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I run my K-cups twice each for about an 18 ounce cup. I also buy the bulk cases at Sam's Club at about $.56 per cup. But I don't YET carry my Keurig. Love 'em though. I've "worm out" two of them. On my third now in about 5-6 years.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I thought about the permanent filter but did not want the hassle of cleaning it in the truck. I also buy my cups in bulk. Bob does not drink coffee so I usually use two cups a day and that is cheaper then going inside and buying a small cup of coffee.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
You can buy a permanent filter and use any coffee instead of buying the expensive Kuerig cups.

I've had two if those. They're great but don't fix the "I don't want to clean the coffee maker" issue.

But they certainly do cheapen the coffee cost.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
I had the one Costco sells or sold, anyway they have a QC / reliability issue in my opinion, went through two of them and Costco covered that (under one year each), the third one died outside the one year warranty, I trashed it and am now using a small Mr. Coffee, not as convenient, but reliable! Costco actually told me that they see tons of returns for defective machines and were considering dropping them as not a quality product, I don't know if that happened?

The brew basket thing that Keurig sells or I think in most cases comes with the machines didn't work well for me, they are a couple third party baskets that I was just about to test drive when my machine died. At least one of the aftermarket options has a small paper filter, that looked viable but I never tried it. I loved the Newman's Special Blend K-Cups, BUT even at Costco bulk sizes it still cost a quite a bit per cup, way cheaper than buying a cup of coffee at the TS however.

My brother has a roaster / coffee shop operation in Seattle, so I have been enjoying small batch hand roasted coffee for $12.50 a pound, that will make a lot of K-Cup portions! I enjoy his coffee so much that I have started selling it, his Espresso blend is very unique and way better than any of the national brands by a mile. My new motto is "There is no excuse for drinking ANY bad coffee!"

I don't think a full blown manual espresso machine is an option in a truck or for most home users either, BUT I have my eye on the Jura automated machines, pretty compact and a decent compromise for the average user, BUT not inexpensive either.

TS

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Have one at home, but just wanted to mention they make great ice tea too.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
A couple issues with the Keurig. It doesn't seem to get the coffee hot enough. I can't tell a difference at first, but the coffee cools down much quicker than a regular coffee maker. Mine also occasionally only brews half a cup, no apparent rhyme or reason, just does. And that's an expensive malfunction! Both are known issues, according to Google, so it's not just mine.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
A couple issues with the Keurig. It doesn't seem to get the coffee hot enough. I can't tell a difference at first, but the coffee cools down much quicker than a regular coffee maker. Mine also occasionally only brews half a cup, no apparent rhyme or reason, just does. And that's an expensive malfunction! Both are known issues, according to Google, so it's not just mine.

That's odd about the 1/2 cup. When my first two failed it was due to the element thingies crapping out. So that doesn't surprise me. But each failed after about 2 years of service, which I can live with.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's odd about the 1/2 cup. When my first two failed it was due to the element thingies crapping out. So that doesn't surprise me. But each failed after about 2 years of service, which I can live with.

I would be ticked if I only got two years out of a coffee maker. Those things are expensive. I bought a $30 3 or 40 years ago, still going strong. The ONLY problem is throwing away the grounds. I can live with that.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I usually make two cups a day and sometimes three and my Keurig is still going strong. I also use it to heat water for my tea bags, Bob buys green tea cups and makes green tea in the winter.

Problems with the Kuerig:

The green tea will clog the tips and I have to use a paper clip to clean it out
Remember to leave the cup holder open when adding water or the water goes everywhere
Remember to put the cup under spout or that makes a huge mess
Remember to take last cup out of holder when you go home

It does do like another poster said sometimes only makes 1/2 cup or for it is not as hot as it should be.

Do not add hot water to the Keurig or it will not make coffee
In the winter I warm my ceramic mug up before I grew my coffee so the coffee will stay warmer longer.

Keurigs I do not think were designed to be bounced up and down the road so it really does not surprise me when they fail. Mine has 280,000 miles on it and still going strong!

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Ours failed after 2 cups! It would not pump water through the K cup. Took it back to Target and exchanged it for a new one. It has made two cups so far. Model is a K40 Elite. I hope it was just a bad one and the new one will hold up.
Will see if it survived I 64 through Saint Louis last night.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
We have the Cuisinart brand Keurig brewer. Yes it was more expensive but for that extra $ there were some better features.

~ larger reservoir
~ more cup sizes
~ adjustable brewing temp up to 192°F
~ cold brewing option
~ rinse option

We have almost a half million miles on our Cuisinart brewing 4-6 cups a day. The reliability this unit has provided us guarantees when this one eventually gives up the ghost, we won't hesitate to buy this same one again. To those that have only brewed 1/2 cups, our solution, drop down to the smallest cup size and run through again, when the cup reaches the desired level swap cups if still brewing. No wasted K-cups that way.

More and more companies are using industrial keurig machines and are supplied by a wholesale coffee companies for their K-cups. Find that wholesale company near home, likely they will sell to you, the boxes are 24ct vs 18ct that you find in stores. One more thing we have learned, some k-cups are smaller and meant to brew a smaller cup, if you get them and brew a regular cup it will be weak. Extra bold on boxes means there is about 20% more coffee in the k-cup. For those of you that run them twice, you'll get a better cup out of the extra bold k-cups.

We love keurig coffee so much we carry a keurig mini to bring into hotel rooms. It fits perfectly in it's own backpack. Once you've seen or heard of the video of someone using the hotel coffee pot as a urinal it makes you think twice about using any hotel coffee pot.

rety3eru.jpg

This is the one we own.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Ours failed after 2 cups! It would not pump water through the K cup. Took it back to Target and exchanged it for a new one. It has made two cups so far. Model is a K40 Elite. I hope it was just a bad one and the new one will hold up.
Will see if it survived I 64 through Saint Louis last night.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app
We have a Keurig brand at the house and it stinks (work when it **** well pleases). We bought the Mr Coffee Brand Keurig for the truck and almost three years later, it has never let us down. It was $10 cheaper at $89 and heats a lot hotter then the Keurig.