Kentucky derby

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do we have any race horse fans out here. if so what are your Derby Pics..here are mine in order of finish
1st..Friesan Fire
2nd..Hold me Back
3rd..Papa Clem

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
1st..I Want Revenge
2nd..Dunkirk
3rd..Pioneer of the Nile

Friesan Fire has certainly been on fire, 3 wins in a row, but he's also been on a 7 week vacation. Should finish in the top 4, and could be anywhere in there, including winning it.

Hold Me Back doesn't know what to do on dirt. Maybe if they painted it green. Was the favorite at Keenland and got owned by a 14-1 horse. However, Kent Desormeaux will be riding him. If anyone can get anything out of this horse on dirt, he can. He rode Big Brown last year and did OK. He got Real Quiet to win it all, too, and no one thought that was possible.

Papa Clem will need to pop out of the gate first and finish strong, something he hasn't done much, plus, 1 1/4 is a long haul for him. I think he'll peter out after a mile.

I Want Revenge should go off as the overwhelming favorite, at least among those at the betting window. Easily the most powerful and fastest horse in the race. But they gotta run it first. Ya never know. But if what he did at Woods Memorial last month is any indication, they should just hang the roses on him now. :D

Dunkirk is a strong finisher and a deep closer, one of the top 3 in the race, for sure, some are picking him to win. I would, but he hasn't yet raced since turning 2, and no un-raced 2 year old has won the Derby in more than 100 years. He's a very special horse with a Hall of Fame jockey on board. Anything can happen.

Pioneer of the Nile has won four in a row, and like Friesan Fire is one of the prettiest runners you'll ever see. But, he's never won on dirt, never even raced on dirt, and if he isn't leading near the end, that's OK with him, he'll cross the finish line eventually. If he's leading, tho, he won't let anyone pass him. Let's see if he doesn't mind getting dirty.

I think I Want Revenge will win it going away, and Dunkirk will take a solid second, while Pioneer of the Nile and Frisan Fire will battle for third. I read a lot and following fairly close, and my reasoning seems good enough, and yet I still suck at it. For all I know, Atomic Rain will win by a mile. :p

flattop40

Expert Expediter
This will upset alot of people but here it goes. I say turnem all into glue or dog food. I do not and never have liked horses. I can't put my finger on why but thats just the way I am built.

Thank God all my horses are under the hood. I must have been killed by one in a former life? :eek:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My gawd man...horses are an American hero....they helped open the west they are a part of history......

but then again I don't like cats.....if cats were 20 feet tall they'd eat you....

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1st..I Want Revenge
2nd..Dunkirk
3rd..Pioneer of the Nile

Friesan Fire has certainly been on fire, 3 wins in a row, but he's also been on a 7 week vacation. Should finish in the top 4, and could be anywhere in there, including winning it.

Hold Me Back doesn't know what to do on dirt. Maybe if they painted it green. Was the favorite at Keenland and got owned by a 14-1 horse. However, Kent Desormeaux will be riding him. If anyone can get anything out of this horse on dirt, he can. He rode Big Brown last year and did OK. He got Real Quiet to win it all, too, and no one thought that was possible.

Papa Clem will need to pop out of the gate first and finish strong, something he hasn't done much, plus, 1 1/4 is a long haul for him. I think he'll peter out after a mile.

I Want Revenge should go off as the overwhelming favorite, at least among those at the betting window. Easily the most powerful and fastest horse in the race. But they gotta run it first. Ya never know. But if what he did at Woods Memorial last month is any indication, they should just hang the roses on him now. :D

Dunkirk is a strong finisher and a deep closer, one of the top 3 in the race, for sure, some are picking him to win. I would, but he hasn't yet raced since turning 2, and no un-raced 2 year old has won the Derby in more than 100 years. He's a very special horse with a Hall of Fame jockey on board. Anything can happen.

Pioneer of the Nile has won four in a row, and like Friesan Fire is one of the prettiest runners you'll ever see. But, he's never won on dirt, never even raced on dirt, and if he isn't leading near the end, that's OK with him, he'll cross the finish line eventually. If he's leading, tho, he won't let anyone pass him. Let's see if he doesn't mind getting dirty.

I think I Want Revenge will win it going away, and Dunkirk will take a solid second, while Pioneer of the Nile and Frisan Fire will battle for third. I read a lot and following fairly close, and my reasoning seems good enough, and yet I still suck at it. For all I know, Atomic Rain will win by a mile. :p

Need to pick another one there..

I Want Revenge scratched due to ankle | Kentucky Derby 135

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This will upset alot of people but here it goes. I say turnem all into glue or dog food. I do not and never have liked horses. I can't put my finger on why but thats just the way I am built.

Thank God all my horses are under the hood. I must have been killed by one in a former life? :eek:

1964-Buck and I- 1st horse show, won 4th, 3rd and 2nd place in 3 events. Quater Horses are fun when you're 9 years old....Buck was good to hunt rabbits off of too, never moved when my little 22 went off...the rabbitts would stand up thinking whats that?...last thoughts of many rabbitts....sorry Peta

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I read that early this afternoon. Bummer, but it's too risky to rum him. That certainly changes things.

1st..Friesan Fire
2nd..Dunkirk
3rd..Desert Party

Looks like it will be be a muddy track, which could strongly favor Friesan Fire. That track's a fast drying track, so it probably won't be sloppy (saturated with water), but it'll be muddy. Firesan Fire blew Papa Clem out of the water, literally, on a partially muddy / partially saturated track in Louisianan.

Muddy tracks usually favor the front runners, since it's so hard to run anything down in the mud. That's gonna move Friesan Fire up for me since he's fast out of the gate and agressive early. It also moves Desert Party into the mix, as that horse has performed very well on the slop and mud, winning handily at Saratoga last year in a downpour. The other horses in this race have either run poorly in the mud (Join The Dance and Flying Private) or they were indifferent to it (Nowhere To Hide). The other 13 have never raced in wet conditions.

Dunkirk is a crapshoot since he's never run in the mud, but I still like his chances. The Tomlinson Wet Track Ratings (basically an educated guess based on pedigree) are good for him, as well as for General Quarters. So the #2 spot is the wild card. If I were betting, and I'm not, I wouldn't be betting very much on this race at all. :)

flattop40

Expert Expediter
My gawd man...horses are an American hero....they helped open the west they are a part of history......

but then again I don't like cats.....if cats were 20 feet tall they'd eat you....

If cats were 20' tall that would make horses what? 150' tall? Now try to ride that.:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Holy crap. 50-1, Mind That Bird, came from 20 lengths back, exploded near the end, and made the others look bad. Horse was driven 21 hours from New Mexico by a good ol' boy in an old pickup truck and horse trailer. Horse was originally bought for $9500. Yee haw!

Dunkirk stumbled out of the gate, and Friesan Fire forgot why he was there.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
The greatest racehorse still has not been beaten.
Secretariat still holds the record for the Derby and the record for the Belmont. A timer glitch kept him from holding the record for the Preakness (but I think he did) :D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
that horse came on so fast the announcer went umm...had to check his numbers;;*lol* wow what a race....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think he will be getting any female companionship,and no stud fees will be paid as this horse was a gelding.

I guess thats why they named him mind that Bird....thats all he has left......:rolleyes:

Can he win the Triple Crown with no jewels???:D