just wanted to intro myself

jakerin

Active Expediter
Hello all...Been lurking around this site for a few months now. Havent really needed to post any questions yet seems they're all covered..Its awesome that drivers can get answers from other drivers and learn from others trials.
The one question i do have is about the weight. When buying a cv the curb weight is before i add my fridge, mircowave, etc. So after adding equip and cargo i should not exceed 10k right? unless I'm planning on logging? Thanks in advance...

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Before you go to an orientation, you'll need to have your van weighed. That weight should represent the vehicle weight with the driver, a full tank of fuel and anything you plan on bringing along, such as you fridge, etc...

That weight will be your "base" weight. Take the GVW - the base weight, and that tells you the maximum amount of freight you can legally transport.

Example: CV's GVW is 9990# - base weight of 6210# would allow a load of 3780#. (Just an example. I wouldn't put that much in a cargo van)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
LOL, the only thing i will say is, "Welcome To EO!"...

Oh and not always and certainly not all but more then 1 might think, CV's run heavy (over the stated gvw on the door sticker) in alot of situations...:eek::D

Me personally, i have no idea what my truck weighs...i know what it weighed when i started working on it...but not now..:eek:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Whether you plan on logging or not, it is illegal, and unsafe, to exceed the GVWR sticker on the van. Whatever it says on that sticker, that's your maximum weight. If your van has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds, and you weigh 11,000 pounds, you still won't have to log, but you will have to pay a hefty fine if you get pulled over and weighed.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember putting 3100# in my Chevy 3500 extended CV. I was glad I only had to go 28 miles with that load. The back end swayed back and forth the entire way.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Getting caught overweight can be a significant fine, and they can often double and triple up on the charges. But in the long run, the biggest expense is in drive train and suspension repairs. You have no idea how much stress being overweight puts on the transmission.

jakerin

Active Expediter
yea i drove a big rig for 3 years after the military. then got into driving a straight truck but its been awhile. Getting into the van aspect now. Dealing with a smaller vehicle wanted to make sure before i started adding things.