July at Load 1

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The July shut downs? After being shut down most of the year, it's hard to fathom a traditional July shut down. Normally, I would be taking 2 weeks off myself, but obviously, this is not a typical July. So I will be playing it by ear, and see what happens.

Yesterday, I had my 1st nasal swab test for Covid-19. It was a free drive up service from my local health department.
Will be contacted by phone if positive, about 10 days for results. I'm guessing the 10 days is for negative results to be mailed. At least I hope so, a person could do a lot of spreading of the virus during that time :rolleyes:

The procedure was not very pleasant at all, but tolerable.
It felt more like they were taking a brain swap o_O
And I guess here is why, dang, I thought they went deep :oops:

thousands-may-have-been-wrongly-told-theyre-coronavirus-free-as-60k-diy-swabs-a-day-dont-go-de...jpg

Reactions: Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've had some war zone fireworks going off in the neighborhood over the years, but last night was just crazy.
I think I know what some of that free Michigan covid19 money was spent on :oops:
I felt like I should be taking cover...

tenor.gif

• Haha

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend. Still pretty busy today so that is a good sign!

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

Reactions: RoadTime

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They fired off the fireworks around here until about 3AM.

They were still going off at 2am here when I put my ear plugs in :cool:
I kept thinking, dang how much fireworks did these people buy :rolleyes:
Oddly, the 5th of July was very quiet with hardly any going off.
Guess they ran out :JC-hysterical:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dear diary.

Today I read about the increased wearing of a mask mandate in Michigan.
Wear it or face a $500 fine o_O
But will it be enforced?

Whitmer toughens and expands Michigan's mask wearing order

The order requires businesses to refuse entry to those who won't wear a mask and expands the order to crowded outdoor spaces.

• Wow

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got my covid-19 test results back.
And it was...negative? :mask:

Since it did not test for antibodies, it only says I didn't actively have it at that moment.
Unless you have symptoms or a real need to know, I don't recommend being tested.

Why?
As said in my test results...
Multiple test are needed to rule out false positives and negatives.
I may have got it prior to the test, and with the long incubation period it may not have shown up yet. And of course you could contract it the moment you leave the test area, or at any time. Which then really makes the results useless. Hence, all the multiple testing.

If you have to endure the unpleasant nasal swab test once, you most likely will not want to do that again unless you really need to. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but if I had to do it again, I wouldn't :mask:

But if you just like the feeling of having a stick jammed deep up your nose, they have plenty to go around ;)

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When they tested me at the hospital in Indianapolis, they had me take three deep breaths and exhale through my nose, and then did a rather shallow nasal swab, then had me cough into my elbow 3 times to ensure my saliva would be saturated with any coronavirus, then did a saliva swab. They said when both swabs agree, it reduces false results to virtually zero. But they also said that if you've contracted the virus within the previous 24 hours of being tested, the virus will not have had enough time to replicate to the point of being detected on either swab (unless you got a large dose of the virus, like being in close proximity to someone for a prolonged period of time, more than 30 minutes, or being in a large group of people where several of them had the virus). But if you contracted it more than 24 hours prior to the test, even if you're asymptomatic, it'll show up positive.

This past Tuesday I was tested again at my local hospital, in preparation for Friday's surgery, It came back negative. I'm not sure what the implications might be for surgery if I tested positive. But in any case, my local hospital is still using the very unpleasant Neandertal Method of testing. Like RoadTime, if I had to do that one again, I would, at the very least, balk like crazy.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A few weeks ago when I was in El Paso, I got two emergency alerts. Both were for emergency mental health evaluation and treatment. People in EL Paso be cray cray.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can we teach the safety dept the wonderful use of the "BCC" function of email? I now have 228 email addresses of other drivers to sell to scammers if I was into that sort of thing. Not the first time either. #privacywhatprivacy?

• Wow
Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that what I think it is?
One of those tornado Sirens? If it is, I sure wouldn't want to be around when it goes off being this close. But I guess I would hear it first IMG_5548.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Can we teach the safety dept the wonderful use of the "BCC" function of email? I now have 228 email addresses of other drivers to sell to scammers if I was into that sort of thing. Not the first time either. #privacywhatprivacy?

I will have this looked in too asap!

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Looks like I'll be back in a couple of weeks. Surgery went well. Had a rough time of it for about a week but since then it's a little better every day. Got most of the stitches out a week ago, and will get the stitches removed from the drain tube holes in a couple of hours. They told me after surgery on the 10th that it would be 4-6 weeks, because of the drain tubes, which would put it between August 7th and the 21st, but I'm eyeing about the 10th. I can drive, but only around town. One incision, right at the belly button, that's where the jeans button and belt buckle dig right into it. SO driving even more than 10 minutes is still a problem. But I feel good, getting more energy back every day. Yay.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Update.
Now they want me to have a colonoscopy, which I've never had before, and apparently I was supposed to have had one when I turned 50.
What fresh Hell is this?

Reactions: jelliott

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update.
Now they want me to have a colonoscopy, which I've never had before, and apparently I was supposed to have had one when I turned 50.
What fresh Hell is this?
Hope you have a speedy recovery, does not sound fun all.
Ahh, A Bonus medical Roto-Rooter o_O :mask: :JElliott: :smiley_driving:

20200728_152821.jpg

• Haha