July 4th slowdown and the shutdowns

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Well, the inenvitable just happened ..... I'm sitting over in Holland, MI ..... 350 miles from home ...... and I just got called for a load picking up near here and delivering Monday ..... in the opposite direction, to Illinois. Too funny .......

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We delivered in Delaware late yesterday afternoon. On our way now to an RV park to pass the weekend, dispatched to pick up a short run Monday morning.

On this Independence Day, I'm mindful of a line shared by a truck driver in the Big Rig movie. Driving on the open road, this immigrant from Poland looked into the camera, smiled and said, "I'm free! I'm free!"

As independent owner-operators and small business people in the United States, we are richly blessed. :)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Amen Phil!!

Way too bad there are so many in the business that don't subscribe to that theory and simply are looking for the roast goose every day insteada enjoying it.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Phil... I agree we are free! It is the lure of the open road that keeps me coming back to expediting as an O/O. I accept the offers I like, come and go as I wish, all without being encumbered by the micromanagers found in most workplace situations. We are truly blessed to have so much choice in our lives. So many have little or no choice at all as they go about their daily activities. Trucking is akin to a highwire act and I find it exhilarating. God bless us all this 4th of July. And thank you God.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I've been home every night for a week. I've been doing a lot of short distance stuff and just coming back home at night. It hasn't been a great week, but not bad either. I'll probalby be back out Monday, hopefully with something long. Been in my house today, eating brats, steak, and watermelon, and now I'm fixing to head to a park for fireworks.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Picked up in Walton, KY on Tuesday afternoon.

The shipper couldn't seem to find the freight...Imagine that!

After a lengthy delay I couldn't make it to Columbus by 5pm.

Dropped off at 6:30am on Wednesday morning.

Hung around for a few hours. Well, actually, I slept.

Decide to deadhead home to Dayton. Got down the road 3 miles and the phone rings.

Freight picks up 10 miles away tomorrow at 9am. OK...Panera Bread for 6 hours...Internet time...More sleep...Wake up at 7:30am

Shipper says, "Freight won't be ready until late afternoon.

Dispatch says orginal carrier will pay dentention time. :)

8hrs and 45 minutes at $32.50/hour. Yippie.

Nice folks at the shipper. Invited me to use a desk in their office so I could set up my computer.

Loaded Thursday night at 6:45. Went home, had a great meal, washed clothes, slept in my own bed, spent some time with my lovely wife.

Got up at 10am, had a nice breakfast and great coffee. More quality time with my wife and the parrot. Dropped my wife off at Sears on the way south.

Here I sit in Matthews, MO at the "J". I will deliver tomorrow morning at 9am in Arkansas.

This is the first 4th of July that I have ever been away from home. I consider myself blessed to have been home all of the other holidays. No complaints. I praise God for the ability to get up everyday and do what He has given me to do.

What a great country!

What great God!

dabluzman1

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Linda and I were sitting in Memphis after dropping on the 2nd.
Debating whether or not to deadhead home 800 miles for the 4th.
Yep, we said lets go. We got 50 miles out of Memphis and dispatch
calls and says we know you are out of service but we have a load
going to F Wayne, would you like it.
We said yes, turned the rig around got the load dropped on the
3rd and was home for the 4th.
While driving home we were dispatched for Monday.
Worked out well this year.
Happy 4th of July to everyone.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Told y'a i'll be waiting for loads ???
y'ahp ,
Del. on Thu. a.m
441 mil.for the week . +a mini.
614 Mil. D.H !
am in L.R /A.R
thinking of D.H some more to W.Memphis. in A.M
to D.H or not to D.H ... (thinking to my self and holding a skull...)

Moose.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Well after putting 200 miles on new car,took old car to drag races,went 4 rounds before beating myself,fell asleep on the line so to speak.Leaving early monday morning for a pick up in NC to deliver in Michigan,Tuesday morning,at least will have 1 run for this week,as our weeks run from Wed to Wed,and we have been off since last Wed.