July (18) Boom or Bust Locations

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sux! Couldn't have happened to Ol' Yeller? Had to be your new one. Hopefully you can get the number pulled down. You still in Vegas?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

It actually did happen to old Yeller! Back in 2012 I got spanked by a guy in a Pontiac minivan, at 26th and 2nd Ave. No insurance then, and I doubt the kid from this morning has it either

Right now I’m at a Firestone having a safety check done. I was able to get the left door open; if the van turns up safe otherwise, I’ll go back in service tomorrow. We need to be back in Pennsylvania in two weeks for a medical procedure; I’ll put the vehicle in the shop when I do that.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: ntimevan

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, still in Vegas. I don’t wanna gamble; might start a problem I don’t need to f**k with. Might do a lottery ticket, tho; the mega million is up to like 500 mill and Nevada doesn’t have income tax

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Saw a yellow Penske today that had three barrels of hazmat secured with twine. At a Radioactive recycler.
Not rope. Twine !!! Like they used to tie shoeboxes with.
Tied to the little wooden slats along the wall.

Mentioned it to shipper.
He said this was a big effort for the guy. He usually just uses his pickup.

Glad I retired.

ManicStreetSprinter

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Relocated to Levis got rear brake service done which was actually at a French discount comparing to Ontario Mercedes now booked out of Montreal 8am pick direct to Rochester Ny 330 miles all Miles paid from Levis home to Niagara falls on

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Might do a lottery ticket, tho; the mega million is up to like 500 mill and Nevada doesn’t have income tax

Won't California tax you since the store ya bought the ticket at is actually in California?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Might do a lottery ticket, tho; the mega million is up to like 500 mill and Nevada doesn’t have income tax

Won't California tax you since the store ya bought the ticket at is actually in California?

I’ve always figured you’d be taxed in your state of residence.
If I ever won my tax attorney would probably know before my wife.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

If I ever won my tax attorney would probably know before my wife.
I thought you would be taxed in the state ya bought the ticket.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I’m not mistaken, your tax burden is split between where you live and where you bought the ticket, in the following manner: all of lower rate + the difference between the two, until the higher rate is met. E.g., if I bought the ticket in, say, California, the split would be 3.07% to PA and 9.93% to Cali.

If I buy a ticket here in Nevada, which has no income tax, my liability would be limited to Pennsylvania’s 3.07%.

I could be wrong; that’s why ya need a tax lawyer for something this big

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
After spending the weekend in NYC, i have one question for the guys that take loads there....ARE YOU CRAZY?????

It can be lucrative.
My last load resulted in a $150 ticket for unloading in a bus stop.
Customer said we pay $150 ticket for every delivery.
Broker refused to bill it.
I ate it.
Never been back.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
emoji106.png

I don't buy lottery tickets. I am curious as to why people wait until the pot is up in the hundreds of millions before buying tickets. I'm just a vanner. To me $10 million or $100 million is pretty much the same except for the extra zero.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I work for a company headquartered in Ohio or maybe Arkansas. I am a resident of Minnesota and pay income tax to the State of Minnesota and of course the IRS. I think the key words are "income tax". Different states probably have some form of gift or prize tax and they will certainly notify the IRS of your good fortune.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
emoji106.png

I don't buy lottery tickets. I am curious as to why people wait until the pot is up in the hundreds of millions before buying tickets. I'm just a vanner. To me $10 million or $100 million is pretty much the same except for the extra zero.

I think they wait for the big prize to get a bigger ROI.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...and they will certainly notify the IRS of your good fortune.

If I’m not mistaken, the federal share comes out before the state even writes the check.

The odds of hitting the lottery are so remote that it’s silly to even contemplate hitting it, but as the PA Lottery Commission says, you have to play to win. I tend to think of it as a $2 contribution to (insert state name)’s education fund or whatever.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
UPDATE: upon further review, it looks like I have no chance whatsoever of hitting the lottery before I leave here. Nevada may allow liquor and professionally loose ladies (upstate, not here in Clark County), but no lottery
as it’s viewed as unfair competition by the established gaming industry