Juicing or Smoothie?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since I have a Vita-Mix I have smoothies BUT after spending time at our daughters house and using her Juicer it seems as if they are about the same thing.

We performed a test using Concord Grapes

The juicer made very clear grape juice with little froth

The Vita Mix using the same amount of Grapes made a lot more grape juice. There were flecks of the grape peal, there was a little more froth.

The comparison for me was the taste was the same and it was fantastic. I am now wondering why they put sugar in Grape Juice as our juice was almost to sweet.

If I had to pick between a juicer and the Vita Mix I would choose the Vita Mix since it will do so much more than the juicer and does not make the mess.

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a juicer but don't use it much, for the reasons listed in the article - most of the vitamins and fiber is lost. I usually make smoothies out of whole foods (seeds and pits not included).

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Fyi the ninja blender is made on the same line as the vita-mix blender and way cheaper....

You get what you pay for.

Don't believe the commercials.

Compare them side by side, and if you're going to use it a lot, you'll spend the extra money on the Vita-mix

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I have a mini single serving blender that is also the bottle you can drink from. I use it for making smoothies with frozen fruit, veggies, and almond milk. Ive also used it for a mixer, making no bake cheesecakes in the truck, as well as many other things. I have also used it for making "juice" it doesnt add any extra air, so depending on how long you mix it for, depended on the frothiness of it. It was about $20-25 at Walmart. I have no complaints about it at all!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Could not agree more. We have had a Vita Mix for many years and when some things break they replace it right now. We also have a Ninja in our RV and it is adequate but it is no vita mix. I thought I spend a lot on a Vita Mix ($200.) a long time ago; however, was at Costco yesterday and they were $374.00.
You get what you pay for.

Don't believe the commercials.

Compare them side by side, and if you're going to use it a lot, you'll spend the extra money on the Vita-mix

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
An interesting experiment happened a few years ago in our family on blenders...

Our youngest daughter had jaw surgery and had her jaws wired shut for a couple of months, then was on soft food for a least a month and in about six month she could eat semi hard food but not nuts.

When she had the surgery I stayed with her and brought out Vita Mix and left it with her. She had never really used a blender for much and she took the Vita Mix for granted. When she was finally able to not blend all of her food I took the Vita Mix back. She went to the store and bought a middle of the range priced blender which lasted about a week before a new Vita Mix became a permanent resident in her house.

She does like both her juicer and her Vita Mix and Jenny brought up a good point on the froth. Brandy's juicer has a pitcher that skims the froth when she pours her juice. I figure I can do that with the edge of a knife or something when I pour.

If at home all of the time I probably would buy a good juicer as it works very well. The problem in the truck is what Brandy used to make one juice I could have made two or three juices using the Vita Mix. The juice in the juicer was clearer with no pulp in reality I think the Vita Mix probably makes a heather juice as it uses everything. The key for me is to wash the fruit or buy organic when I buy berries or anything with a thin skin. While it is not always possible to buy organic I do my best.

Now that I have learned how fantastic plain grape juice, plain carrot juice and apple juice is I plan to do more juicing next year. With the Vita Mix I have figured out how easy it is to add spinach, kale, and other greens to a drink and not even know it is there except in the color and believe me I have made some really UGLY drinks that taste very good.

I like multi use items in the truck and the Vita Mix not only makes juice, it makes soup, and it heats the water to wash itself!