John elliot and the load 1 gang!

MANIAC

Seasoned Expediter
As you all know, we have made a move to load 1, we have had an amazing transition over here from our former employer! The load 1 gang is top notch!
We had a situation this weekend in the family and had to give up a load to deal with the situation and the response we got from load 1 was i quote "no problem, family first"! In 23 years in trucking, i have never, ever got that response from a carrier!
As we talk to people that work at load 1, there is a resounding emphasis company wide "it comes from the top down"!
Thank you john for instilling that in our employees and believe it or not, i think it's kind of contagious!lol

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
As you all know, we have made a move to load 1, we have had an amazing transition over here from our former employer! The load 1 gang is top notch!
We had a situation this weekend in the family and had to give up a load to deal with the situation and the response we got from load 1 was i quote "no problem, family first"! In 23 years in trucking, i have never, ever got that response from a carrier!
As we talk to people that work at load 1, there is a resounding emphasis company wide "it comes from the top down"!
Thank you john for instilling that in our employees and believe it or not, i think it's kind of contagious!lol

I've heard nothing but good about load 1. I don't think I have ever heard "family first" from any carrier I've been with. My wife was going in to labor and I was 80 miles from home and prime inc. response was "you're going to be charged for a trailer washout if you drop trailer without cleaning it" and my response was "you can send someone after my truck at the hospital cause I quit".

Glad your happy at load 1.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
J.D. Clark is the same way John always says family comes first and he treats me like family.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We all are load one !!

I like to think in johns case that nice guys don't always have to finish last. Hopefully, we as a load one family is his not finishing last. We are by far from perfect but I think we are all happy. A good atmosphere draws good people doing a good job.

donaddemt

Seasoned Expediter
I was burned Friday right after picking up a load. My wife called dispatch to let them know I was hurt and on my way to the hospital by ambulance. She told them we needed someone to come get the load and they had the guts to ask Why we couldn't Just hurry up.
Can't wait to start with the new FAMILY, soon as me and the truck are well!!!!!
Have to go to the burn clinic Monday and see what they say!

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
To all trucking companies that r jerks:: Just copy what Load One is doing and your turnover and ticked off drivers may stop , sort of. It only takes good manners, not idiots to run ur company, but u idiot owners of carriers just keep on doing stupid stuff and u will continue to receive a less then stellar reputation, now, hows ur on going operation going for ya? Of course this is MO and its free .

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
I was burned Friday right after picking up a load. My wife called dispatch to let them know I was hurt and on my way to the hospital by ambulance. She told them we needed someone to come get the load and they had the guts to ask Why we couldn't Just hurry up.
Can't wait to start with the new FAMILY, soon as me and the truck are well!!!!!
Have to go to the burn clinic Monday and see what they say!

When I was with the same carrier as you, I was in a bad wreck. The entire team was supportive. One of the dispatchers, who had never been out of NC, offered to rent a U-Haul to help me get my things out of the totaled truck.
Just to say, Load 1 is a good company and has earned the loyalty of their contractors, but luckily there are more good than bad carriers in the expedite nation.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Well, this fine company bailed us out last night. I had a Sprinter break down in Memphis with a load on board and they were the only carrier in the area willing to take the freight off our hands and run it into Tulsa. Really did us a favor there.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Is this carrier going to be at the expo? Do they take on and have freight for a team van? If so what are the rates? Do they take on and have freight for a team "D" reefer unit? If so what are the rates?Thanks-

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Vans, no sprinters, yes but there is a waiting list. Straights, yes but no reefer freight.

Surely you are not asking for yourself.

Yes, load one will be at the EXPO

Last edited:

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Do they take on and have freight for a team "D" reefer unit? If so what are the rates?Thanks-

Would you be comfortable working for a company that doesn't let you know what you will be paid until you do the run?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Would you be comfortable working for a company that doesn't let you know what you will be paid until you do the run?

Absolutely NOT comfortable with company that waited until after load done for payment details...so NO. Thank you for replying.:rolleyes:

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Missed that part.

Didn't think you were. What would Pete & Wendy do ? LOL

I really don't understand what this means...lol. I was not aware there was a company out here that did not provide payment details, although, I have heard of companies that have changed payments etc... Knowing what I would be paid for loaded and dead head miles is very important and I don't understand how one would run a business without knowing this prior to load acceptance?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army

Normally the only time the rate is not really known upfront is if we ask a unit of they want us to bid on a load we see. Paying percentage vs mileage this happens. I have never had anyone say they wish we would switch to mileage pay. The only other time is when a relay is involved or something like that. Those calculations have to be done manually vs the system calculating.

But yes we don't take on cargo vans and we do not do temp control at this time.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What about a chevy cargo max unit? Is this acceptable? I assume that you do auto freight? Is this what you are referring to with regard to not using cargo vans and bidding? Would you have to carry 3 pallets in Sprinter type vehicle? In addition, are you stating that you pay on a percentage of the load and this is normally indicated at dispatch? Thank you.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Yes we do take CargoMax 3 pallet type units, but we do have a waiting list. Depending on contract our units are 67% or those on the large logo program get 70%. We do automotive, but a large number of customers, 3pls and logistics companies use board systems for their freight.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A common and understandable misconception. If you want or need to know, they will take the time to break it down and tell you. It's generally not something you need to know up front, as the rate almost always turns out to be more than sufficient. If the automatic rate isn't to your liking, they will make it right, either on that load, or will make it up on another load.

Unlike most carriers where things are designed to be adversarial between drivers and dispatch, Load 1 is truly the opposite of that, where the dispatcher's goal is the same as that of the driver, to make the driver happy and profitable, and then everything else takes care of itself. It's a concept so far outside the box of normalcy as to be foreign to those who have never experienced it. I know for me, after being with my previous carrier for so long, it required a massive adjustment on my part and in my thinking. But it only took about two weeks before I became quite comfortable, as you say, working for a company that doesn't let me know what I'll be paid until I've done the run. Except, I don't have to wait until after I've done the run to find out, rather, I find out as soon as they send the load information over the QC, before I make the pickup.

mcbride noted, "I don't understand how one would run a business without knowing this prior to load acceptance?" To which my reply is, I understand how you would not understand. At most carriers you couldn't and shouldn't run your business without knowing the rate up front. It would be crazy. Carriers would take advantage of you like, well, crazy.

But at Load 1 you can. I also fully understand that that sounds like a load of crap. I thought it was, too, every time I heard and read others at Load 1 say the same thing. But it's not.

Most of the loads I get are in for form of them calling me up and asking me if I want the load, picking up in City A, when it picks up, delivering to City B, usually with the amount of DH and loaded miles being stated. That's it. If there is something unusual about the load they'll add that. If I want to know more specifics, they'll tell me.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Hey, I meant I was sure you were not leaving your current carrier the rest was a joke about if you did.
Joe and Nancy, this is tom and tina, Pete and Wendy's sister and brother in law.

Even on the %, if they haven't bid it yet they will ask you what you want or are willing to do it for.