Jim tressel resigns

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Yep, I hate this, but I guess it was the right thing to do. I think he's a good man, who made a few stupid decisions there. I'm kind of torn here. On the moral side, he should have stood up, cracked the whip on those guys for breaking the rules..

But.. growing up around here, I also know, the worse thing you can be is a rat, even if it's with your employees, or in this case, your team. In my opinion, if it were not going to be reported to NCAA, he should have dealt with them internally, and punished the team members.

All this for trading personal stuff for tattoos. I understand the concept of the rule.. not profiting, or making money from you college football career, but I still think in THIS case it was over reaction.

Dale

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The radio guys are saying there is a Sports Illustrated stroy coming out to today that is going to tear OSU football apart and that the school had the artcivle in advance...it is suppose to be a "tell all to end all"...on OSU and Tressel...

Also the talk is the NCAA has said no "Death Penalty, but they are going to get hammered big time...

Kinda sad really...he sis a great job at OSU, but its starting to look like he really wasn't what he put out there...As has been said before, he had these same issues at Youngstown State, all of the stuff when he brought Claritt (who he knew and knew what he was getting) then all the stuff st OSU before pryor and the Tatoo'd 5....Sad..

The tats just started it...the coverup and the multiple lying to the NCAA over and over again to continue the cover up is what got him...and its not over for him or the school..they are both going to get hammered...

He will coach again..but you watchm the ncaa will have to approve his hiring at any school...the Ncaa has a "show cause rule'...that any school hiring a coach that has major issues like this with the ncaa, has to show why the hire will be good for the school and the ncaa.....

On a good note, if you are into "Sales"...SweaterVest in Scarlett and or Grey are %75 off in columbus dept stores...:)

Last edited:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I wouldn't want to be in his position that's for sure. I believe he's a good man.. caught between doing the 'right thing', protecting his players, and dealing with administration and boosters too... who have that 'win at any cost, do what's best for the team' mentality. In this case, he compromised his personal morality, integrity, and reputation.. to protect the team, and the winning record.

I know he was a moral force for the team, and even if he did 'overlook some faults'... those guys knew he was loyal to them to the end. That has to stand for something.

I'm afraid this will be a bad year for them without his leadership. I can't see an easy replacement, tho Chris Spielman's name has been tossed around here.

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This stuff goes on more than people realize. Not just at the big schools, but at all of them. I live in a small college town and the "preferential treatment" the athletes get just blows your mind sometimes. And at bigger schools, the preferential treatment gets bigger. But I remember back in the early 90s, I ran the computers at a locally owned multi-location pest control company, and one of the star basketball players worked there as a pest control technician. He worked hard, too, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, which is impressive considering he had classes, basketball practice, home and road games, all while he put in 40 hours a week killing bugs. The most impressive thing in all this was the fact that he managed to put in 40 hours a week killing bugs without even once showing up for work.

We also had a football player who worked just as hard killing bugs. One of the star tennis players had a full time job at the sporting goods store. He never showed up for work, either. Same with a running back who was a chef at the local high-end steak eatery. They all had nice cars, too.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
As Turtle said, we all know stuff goes on. I understand the purpose of the rules is that no student athlete profits from his college career. If he gets payment, it's professional. I get that... but.. I think there's a double standard. How many people name drop to get a better deal at a car dealer.. but if the star athlete gets a good deal.. that's preferential treatment. Is a good deal income? Is trading personal stuff for tattoos income? I don't think so.. but, that's the rules.

Obviously Tressel was wrong to lie about it... but it's easy for outsiders to judge. How many people slamming him today.. if they were making 3 mil a year, and responsible for the career of possible future professional athletes... would make the same choice and look the other way?

Doesn't make it right.... but that whole stones and glass houses bit applies....

Dale

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, there's definitely a double standard going on. These athletes make millions of dollars for their university. I think they should be paid above just the scholarship.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah, there's definitely a double standard going on. These athletes make millions of dollars for their university. I think they should be paid above just the scholarship.

I agree. Show me a more hypocritical organization than the NCAA.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You have to look a lot deeper than the major teams making millions for the school. If you pay the football players you have to pay the swimmers. If you pay the athletes at college a you have to pay them at college b which makes no money on the sports teams. On the surface paying them sounds like the right thing to do but I think they are well compensated for what they do. A good education taken advantage of can pay huge rewards for the rest of a persons life and the huge majority of these athletes will not be pros so the scholarship is even more important.

I do think some of the rules stink and as much as I normally detest the idea of salary caps I think the coaches might be one area they need to be explored.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You have to look a lot deeper than the major teams making millions for the school. If you pay the football players you have to pay the swimmers.
Why?

I mean, if the swimmers can generate enough revenue to pay for themselves, great. Otherwise, it's business as usual.

If you pay the athletes at college a you have to pay them at college b which makes no money on the sports teams.
Why?

Does that mean the Kansas City Royals should have the same payroll as the Yankees?

On the surface paying them sounds like the right thing to do but I think they are well compensated for what they do. A good education taken advantage of can pay huge rewards for the rest of a persons life and the huge majority of these athletes will not be pros so the scholarship is even more important.
That worked well in the 1950s, before television contracts and corporate sponsorship and other big dollar revenue streams, but at many school the athletes are a cash cow. Division I and II school can offer athletic scholarships, Division III school cannot. Everybody on the football team doesn't have a scholarship, either. The number is limited by the NCAA on a per-sport basis. So some are compensated for what they do with a scholarship, many are not.

I do think some of the rules stink and as much as I normally detest the idea of salary caps I think the coaches might be one area they need to be explored.
What purpose would be solved with a salary cap for coaches? Parity?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why?

I mean, if the swimmers can generate enough revenue to pay for themselves, great. Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Why?

Because the rules would demand it and the courts would make sure they do. Not saying I agree but that is what would happen. Although title IX deals with sex discrimination I believe the same thing would happen with paid athletes.
Does that mean the Kansas City Royals should have the same payroll as the Yankees?

Not sure how you can compare pro and college, especially public universities.

That worked well in the 1950s, before television contracts and corporate sponsorship and other big dollar revenue streams, but at many school the athletes are a cash cow. Division I and II school can offer athletic scholarships, Division III school cannot. Everybody on the football team doesn't have a scholarship, either. The number is limited by the NCAA on a per-sport basis. So some are compensated for what they do with a scholarship, many are not.

That is a good point but those not compensated are not the ones making millions for the schools which was the basis for you thought of athletes being compensated if I member right.

What purpose would be solved with a salary cap for coaches? Parity?

Don't think it would help parity at all. Right or wrong a public school paying a coach millions of dollars rubs me the wrong way.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks. Good point about Title IX and the courts being what they are. The courts are all up in the NCAA as it is. As for the non-scholarship players not being the ones who are making the money for the schools, that's true to a point, but a team sport is a team sport, and the stars cannot be the stars without the supporting no-names.

As for the coach getting paid millions of dollars, I agree, but the fact that a coach can be paid that kind of money means, to me, that they can afford to give the players at least some kind of allowance.