Expedite NOW It's Not Just a Job, It's an Adventure : Expedite NOW Magazine

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Every time this job gets boring, I get a load like this. I get this load delivering to rural SW Georgia, between Albany, GA and Tallahassee, FL. And by rural I mean ruhr-rall.

READ MORE...

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Great Story...........But 2 Questions come to mind............

If that Guy was EXPECTING a Delivery of Parts for his Bed.........and was out on his 4 Wheeler tooling around his property........AND Noticed a Cargo Van........a "Delivery Vehicle".......just parked out there for quite a while.......then WHY didn't he go Help the Guy?

Second............are you Guys (and Gals) not allowed to Contact the end Customer....The POD...........Directly? Why is everybody ALWAYS calling Dispatch Only? I would've told Dispatch..........or even the Guy who was having the Parts Delivered that was trying to "Guide" this Expeditor in......"Hey - Give ME this End Customers.....Point of Delivery........PHONE NUMBER and I'll get the Correct Information on where exactly they are myself."

Just Food For Thought.............................:)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Great Story...........But 2 Questions come to mind............

If that Guy was EXPECTING a Delivery of Parts for his Bed.........and was out on his 4 Wheeler tooling around his property........AND Noticed a Cargo Van........a "Delivery Vehicle".......just parked out there for quite a while.......then WHY didn't he go Help the Guy?
Oh, trust me, that's a question that really wanted to be asked. You have no idea how badly that question wanted to be asked. But, when it came time to ask that question, it instantly didn't matter. It wouldn't have changed anything, and it would likely only make them mad, or feel bad. No point in doing that.

Second............are you Guys (and Gals) not allowed to Contact the end Customer....The POD...........Directly? Why is everybody ALWAYS calling Dispatch Only? I would've told Dispatch..........or even the Guy who was having the Parts Delivered that was trying to "Guide" this Expeditor in......"Hey - Give ME this End Customers.....Point of Delivery........PHONE NUMBER and I'll get the Correct Information on where exactly they are myself."

Just Food For Thought.............................:)
A lot of the time we're given the phone number of the consignee (the word you're grappling for), but not always. If you read the story you'll see the driver was looking for that very thing - the phone number of the people in the house (or brain-dead directions on how to get there) The guy on the phone who was "guiding" this expediter in was calling from home, not from his office, so he didn't have the phone number, either.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Oh, trust me, that's a question that really wanted to be asked. You have no idea how badly that question wanted to be asked. But, when it came time to ask that question, it instantly didn't matter. It wouldn't have changed anything, and it would likely only make them mad, or feel bad. No point in doing that.

Hahaha........Wonder if anybody else caught that too..........

In situations like this.......I HAVE been known to bring up stuff like this before in the past.........Roy Garber - Shipping Wars - May he Rest in Peace - Attitude at times. (got into a HUGE argument with one of Velocity Express's Customers over their Ignorance....and Yes....they called in on me. VE basically told me 1 more call like that.....they'll cancel my Contract. No Worries on my part though.........Told VE to shove it a few days later anyways............)

A lot of the time we're given the phone number of the consignee (the word you're grappling for).............

OK.....Got me on that one.........Don't know why it didn't come to mind automatically........Guess I wasn't putting much effort in...........;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We almost always get the consignee's phone number, and they're the first call I make if I don't find what I'm looking for, where I expect it. Only sometimes, the number is useless [cellphone voicemail, company line with 'dial by name' directory]. Or whomever answers it hasn't got a clue on giving directions - either they're not 'local', or they keep forgetting that I'm not: "You know where the big red barn was, that got hit by lightning?" "No" "That's ok, you're not going to turn there anyhow. Just keep going past it...." :p

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Or whomever answers it hasn't got a clue on giving directions

Or they don't for a second, consider how big your truck may be. "Will my truck fit under the railroad bridge? I know your Toyota does, darlin', but this thing's as long as a school bus, and taller" (long pause) "Yeah, I didn't think so..." :rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app