Isuzu truck info

keithnel

Expert Expediter
Are there any national companies that will allow you to use an Isuzu type box truck? either a 14, 16, or 22 foot? I know where a great deal is on some, but did not know if it could be used since it did not have a sleeper, but then again neither do some cargo vans! Thanks for your input.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Tri-Sate I believe runs some trucks locally without sleepers. I'm not sure exactly what requirements they have on them. Next bet is to find a freight forwarder close to a local airport.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Keithnel;

Most NATIONAL companies would not lease on a "sleeperless" truck to run freight across the country. True, vans and most cube trucks do not have sleepers either, but MOST are EXEMPT from the Hours of Service Regulations (do not have to keep driver's logs). Drivers of any vehicle with GVW of 10,001 lb. or more (or that transport placardable amounts of hazardous materials) are required to log. You can legally log without a sleeper, but are pretty much expected to be able to produce receipts during a roadside inspection from motels to prove your off-duty time. Motels are very expensive to purchase night after night.

Perhaps you could find a company that has dedicated or "milk" runs for a straight truck. These dedicated runs would certainly not be expedited freight, by definition. As mentioned in the previous post, a vehicle like this would be best utilized by an Air Freight Forwarder, or a company that has daily runs in a specific, limited geographic region.

I do agree that the Isuzu trucks are good little trucks.

I hope this helped you. Good luck in your ventures.

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

keithnel

Expert Expediter
I understand what you are saying and I appreciate the info. Could you give me an example or two of the companies you are talking about.

Thanks!

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
EGL is one, but they shy away from those trucks for some reason, and it must be dock high and any color as long as it is white.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
EGL in Cleveland has few on with them.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
There are some package and courier services that utilize these trucks. I would question it's use for long haul, heavy freight.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

T.V. - Why do you think they call it programming?

No, YOU suck. - the mean people

"Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States." - J. Bartlett Brebner

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure. - I can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

Become who you are. - Nietzsche

Whoever coined the phrase "Quiet as a mouse" has never stepped on one.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>There are some package and courier services that utilize
>these trucks. I would question there use for long haul,
>heavy freight.
>
>Lawrence,
>Expediters Online.com
----------------------------------[/b]

I have seen a couple of sleeper equipped Izusu cabovers, with expedite graphics, in my travels. Didn't get a close look as to how the sleeper was integrated.

I've also seen quite a few of the new Hino conventionals, in expedite trim, in the past couple of weeks.

Rex

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hey Keith,

I took some time to check out where you are located. Granted, I don't think you're going to find much of what you want in Haleyville.

However, you are roughly 1-1/2 hours from two different airport centers, which may afford you an opportunity. Since I am involved in airfreight delivery, I decided to do some legwork for you. In my research, it does seem that Huntsville will be better than Birmingham, which is not what I originally expected. Some forwarders don't want to hire contracters. They just want to broker the freight out to a delivery service to handle the trucking. You will find those there as well. In most cases, I have known the companies listed to deal directly with an individual O/O. Here's a brief list of major players:

Huntsville
--BAX Global
--Airgroup
--EGL Eagle Global Logistics
--Expeditors International
--Team Worldwide

Birmingham
--BAX Global
--SEKO Worldwide (formerly USF Forwarding)

Now this is my opinion, but you will probably do better financially by moving closer to one of these areas, as you will be moving in and out of that terminal daily.

Hope these examples help.

Jeff

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
If you buy a Isuzu or a Hino for $30,000 instead of an expedite truck with all the bells and whistles for $90,000, that leaves you $60,000 for motel rooms!!???

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I seen what I think is an Isuzu with a sleeper on my way home. it was a coffin sleeper, nothing fancy.

I went past an Express-1 truck a couple days ago that was an old moving van, I wonder what's up with that - it wasnear Express-1's HQ, so I assume it was local - but a moving van?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I've seen some crazy things too. I saw a cabover truck awhile back with a sleeper on it for Landstar. Like a 3 or 4 foot sleeper with a 12 foot box.

I think there is a moving van w/ decals in the truck photos on this site. The overhead box thing....

J

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know there is an isuzu for sale in little rock with a small sleeper and a reefer on it. I thought about going and looking at but didn't think I could get it signed on anywhere.