Isolators

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I have researched both Sure Power and Hellroaring isolators.

The Hellroaring seems much easier to install.

Anyone have experience with either?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been running a Hellroaring BIC-95159B since 2004. At that time the isolator, wire, circuit breaker and shipping/handling total was $192.15. I found cheaper isolators in the J.C. Whitney catalog, but went with Hellroaring believing it is a better product with the ability to talk to a knowledgeable tech person.

Are you staying with a gasser or going back to a diesel? I believe they make a different model for vehicles with more than one starting battery. Check out their website: http://www.hellroaring.com/

Call with your specific setup and needs. Hellroaring is located in Polson, MT so they are on mountain time. Phone: 406-883-3801

Last edited:

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
I've been running a Hellroaring BIC-95159B since 2004. At that time the isolator, wire, circuit breaker and shipping/handling total was $192.15. I found cheaper isolators in the J.C. Whitney catalog, but went with Hellroaring believing it is a better product with the ability to talk to a knowledgeable tech person.

Are you staying with a gasser or going back to a diesel? I believe they make a different model for vehicles with more than one starting battery. Check out their website: Hellroaring Technologies, inc., Manufacturer of Solid State Dual Battery Isolator / Combiners

Call with your specific setup and needs. Hellroaring is located in Polson, MT so they are on mountain time. Phone: 406-883-3801

They still have J.C.Whitney Catalogs? I Haven't seen one of those in years, Where and how do you get them so I Can Get one too? They have a lot of nice Stuff in There! :)

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I've had a sure power model 1314 separator installed since the end of the summer. It works as advertised. Installation was simple. Note that I went the separator route.

eb

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
SurePower 1315-200 battery separator installed here. About $130 at the time I bought it 2+ years ago.

This is the second one - the first one began to operate intermittently after about a year of use. The solenoid in the unit would throw and attempt to close the connection, but the contacts (which are supposedly silver alloy or plated and should be less likely to corrode) wouldn't always form a connection (intermittent)

The unit was technically out of warranty, and SurePower customer service was reluctant to replace it - I eventually got ahold of an engineer, who couldn't believe that it had failed in the manner that it had and agreed to replace the unit if I would send the old one back in, so that he could take it apart and analyze it.

I believe Turtle has experienced similar issues with his unit (same brand and model number)

BTW, I don't believe an isolator will work on a Sprinter, due to the type of alternator used.

Last edited:

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Moot,

My 06 was a Duramax and both of my 08's were gassers.

I believe the Duramax to be a great engine, but the ability to get service coupled with the increased regular maintenance costs have kept me focused on the 6.0L.

Moreover, GM's decision to offer the 6 speed tranny and a 3.43 differential in a cutaway chassis was something I had long awaited.

Prior to 2010 you had to take a 4.10 differential. My fuel economy was marginal in that cutaway chassis and the RPM's at 60mph gave me concern for engine longevity.

oncedrove

Expert Expediter
Yep, good ones. I got the 1315-200 works great...

Eddie says he uses a 1315-200. The web site says a 1315-200 is a battery separator. What is the different between a battery separator and a battery isolator?

Were do you get your wire ( i want good wire) at?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Basically, a separator is a mechanical device and an isolator is an electronic device.

A separator is simply a switch. This device does not allow for regulated current flow. If you have discharged auxiliary batteries as soon as the separator (i.e. solenoid) closes shortly after you start the engine current from your charged start battery (not only from your alternator) tries to charge your auxiliary batteries. This rush of current shocks your batteries and stresses your alternator.

An isolator has diodes that prevent current being drained from the start battery; thus providing for longer life of the batteries and the alternator.