is wanting opposite sex Co driver taboo?

wuf333

Active Expediter
Driver
My name is Chris and trying the otr thing for the first time. My question is this, is it taboo to request a female Co driver for otr, I get along with people, but feel I would rather be cooped up in a truck with a lady than a man. i just get along better with woman than other men. And have heard woman say the same. Just asking. PS. I am looking for a female Co driver now and straight truck, ty

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unless it's your wife or girlfriend, you're asking for a lot more trouble than you really need. You're gonna be cooped up in close quarters with a person of the opposite sex for long periods of time, and-- unless you already have a close relationship you'll either have intense love or intense hatred for each other in a short time.

I don't know if it's still true, but back when I started driving professionally many companies frowned on this idea specifically because of the potential for major trouble-- that the company might be on the hook for if it got to court.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Chris: it's only taboo if you have a significant other who doesn't like it. ;)

PS It doesn't sound like it's your plan, but codriving is not a good way to find someone to have a relationship with, except for friendship - and even that doesn't always happen. But if you have respect for, and confidence in, your partner, you don't need to be friends, really - it's a work relationship. When you find someone you can work with, go for it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Do the carriers that frown on opposite sex codrivers believe there are no gay drivers? Because if they're worried about potential litigation, that could be a minefield, lol.
Maybe they should just expect drivers to act like professionals, or move on.

wuf333

Active Expediter
Driver
I am single and that's the reason I'm choosing otr, and it's not a dating situation, but a compatibility issue. But I am a honest person, and to say I wouldn't get lonely while on the road would be a lie, but that's why I believe if to adults can get along and get the job done that's needs to be, then the otr life would be better for both parties. Because I was told it is a marriage out there with Co drivers, I just choose a lady.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Got a buddy that tried what you want to do. You really have no idea how much this is gonna cost you in dollars. Yes, you will be buying her expensive makeup first, then the food bill comes along, then the clothes bill comes along. Did I mention potty breaks more then you will ever imagine. But go ahead, knock yourself out and report back in 90 days...it really is a fairly tale, I wouldn't do it, but I know male egos are difficult to overcome--those male hormones will do us guys in every time,imho.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This is gonna be something to watch. I have a suspicion it's going to be big trouble-- sorry, Cheri, but facts are aggravating, stubborn, resistant to change to suit you facts. A male-female team driving situation where you don't start as husband/wife or at least boyfriend/girlfriend is trouble looking for a place to happen-- and you can take that to the bank.

1roaddog

Seasoned Expediter
I have teamed with several lady drivers and have had mixed experiences. Your success is in the level of professionalism you both bring to the job and respect for one another. There is no room in any truck for control freaks! You will have to give each other alone time in the truck and respect privacy issues. You might just get what you think you want! Good luck!

wuf333

Active Expediter
Driver
Lol my ego is not the issue, its most guys I've met i really just dont like, know it all, been there done that, gets tiring. Like rroadog says professionalism and getting the job done is the key , just because weak males have bad experiences, doesn't mean a strong male will. The woman i meet on the road dont need a guy to buy them, they are secure with them selves, and drive as well as most males. My point is that i would have a better social life otr with a lady, that man, and not all about sex and looking for a date, i have no issues with dating, i can do that at home. Js

Last edited:

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am single and that's the reason I'm choosing otr, and it's not a dating situation, but a compatibility issue. But I am a honest person, and to say I wouldn't get lonely while on the road would be a lie, but that's why I believe if to adults can get along and get the job done that's needs to be, then the otr life would be better for both parties. Because I was told it is a marriage out there with Co drivers, I just choose a lady.

It appears that you are confidence and feel comfortable with dealing with women, go for it. Driving is stressful enough, there's no need to add more stresses from an incompatible co driver.

If both parties, to each others, can maintain the respect, boundaries, and honest communications, there shouldn't be any issues. You both could be a formidable team:)

Though, as with any working relationships, both should know when to call it off when the compatibility is falling apart*before it becomes the personal issues.

I believe you will do great. Good luck:)

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I teamed with both male and female drivers. Neither situation worked for long. I made a point to set some ground rules before agreeing to team. It didn't work out. You really don't know someone until you spend some time in a truck with them. I say go for it, but meet up and spend some time over lunch or something and get a first impression. Good luck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Like truckblue, I've teamed with both men and women, and it didn't work out, but gender had nothing to do with it. Personality and work ethic plays a much larger role, IMO.
We all know that teams are the 'gold standard', and they're tough to maintain, out here in the real world, so why limit your choices to half the human race? [I'm assuming you can behave as a professional, whichever gender you are.] If someone you can be comfortable with, and trust, happens to be the other sex, I don't see that as a no-go, is all.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In general, co-drivers who are not romantically in love with each other form teams that are less stable than those who do love each other and sleep together.

Be careful. The situation you imagine is exactly that; a situation you are imagining. The situation that develops in real life may turn out to be very different and reacting to it (getting home, finding a new co-driver, putting up with stress, etc.) may be difficult and expensive.

Living and working together 24/7 in tiny quarters, long distances from home, and under the pressures of the job will bring out your and your co-driver's character traits very quickly; good and bad. People tend to look on new relationships with great hope and wishful thinking. But without knowing ahead of time who the other person truly is, you are setting yourself up to find out on the road.

The road is a great teacher but the lessons are often learned the hard way.

wuf333

Active Expediter
Driver
Thank you all for ur input . I know this is what ill be looking for and i know it can't be with just any lady, but im sure ill find the right co driver I'm compatible with. So if you know of a lady looking for a co driver, hit me up, see if we are compatible. Ty Chris

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I guess you don't want to go to work for SWIFT. Spell it backwards and it says "two :censoredsign:s in white semi!" lol. I don't care if it's a male or a female; no one is driving the truck while I'm strapped into that darn bunk net ever again. I caught my co-driver nodding off one time. If you want to add 20 years to your age and appearance, drive teams. I prefer to be the one who is holding the steering wheel when the truck goes into the ditch! Now that being said, it would be pretty weird for a male and female driver to team up if you are not brother and sister. J/K!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I understand that it's not what you would plan but things have a way of happening between men and women.