Is TRI-STATE RUNNING or are they SITTING like MOST Carriers?

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Your just flat out in the wrong business dude. You want contributions to your retirement, benefits, etc. your on the wrong boat. Don't forget that your an independent contractor which translates into you working for yourself. It would be the same if you had your own business as a carpenter, mechanic or whatever.. Your on your own as far as benefits go. Sounds like you didn't do your homework before jumping into the business. I bet I've read 1000 times the 'veterans' on here saying DO NOT go into expediting under funded. Have something to fall back on during the slow times. I know your frustrations but maybe it's time you started flipping those burgers. I'll have a quarter pounder w/cheese please. No fries. And if you decide to make a habit out of those 24 hr runs with no sleep please stay out of Florida, I have alot of family here that drives on the same highways as you and I love them and want them to come home safe everyday. JMHO

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It would seem striking a balance isn't easy. You don't want to run too cheap, because giving away free miles is still free miles. On the other hand, if you price yourself too high you end up sitting instead of moving and making any money. Getting that balance right-- there's the trick.

Balance would be the key. Even more so with vans. Kind of like a restaurant. If you have great high dollar food but only serve one or two customers a night, it is tough to keep the doors open.
One is likely out of balance if they suddenly find folks dropping off clothes and couches for donation in front of their van. :cool:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I think people have a hard time finding that "balance" as the numbers are always moving.
Quicker and more often in expedite than in other segments of transportation.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I think people have a hard time finding that "balance" as the numbers are always moving.
Quicker and more often in expedite than in other segments of transportation.

Great point. When there is an abundance of freight, everyone runs. Including those that live off of bid boards. But, when the volume of freight is lacking, trying to maintain a certain price level can be a big challenge.

Is half a loaf better than no loaf?

The other problem, as I see it, is there are only a few carriers in expedite that are diversified and national although all want your cab card to read all 48 states. That is, a broad base of customers across the country with a variety of different types of freight other than automotive.

Most are regional carriers. Their customer base is around their home domicile. When a o/o takes a load outside the domicile, that particular carrier is dependent on partner carriers and load boards to get you back. When freight is abundant, that model works good. But, when freight is scarce, the partner carriers don't have freight to share and not many make it to the boards. The loads that do get posted go cheap. So, what do you do? Sit or take a cheap load back to your domicile with the hopes of a higher paying customer base load back out?

The national carriers, don't have that kind of problem. Their problems are of a different sort. Lack of freight, is sporadic. One area of the country may be hot this week and dry next. Rates vary dependent on the type of freight, exclusivity of the customer / carrier relationship, weight and length of run. So, while you may take a load from a hot area at a great rate, once you deliver, your SOL. Either sit or dh out.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I would disagree. First quarter is normally the slowest of the 4. This year has without a doubt been slower. I talk to the "national" carriers, mid size and the small guys on a regular basis. I don't have any of them saying first quarter has been good on the small vehicles. Not sure what the solution is but hoping from carrier to carrier is not going to help. The industry is based off supply and demand. Right now everyone has too much supply and to little demand in the small vehicle segment. We have drivers calling everyday from the few carriers larger than us wanting too be due to lack of miles and sitting. Bottom line, it is a tough time in the market. Se may get lucky with right place right time, but overall volumes are down.

If you have a cdl I personally would be in a straight especially right now. IMHO.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I think there would be a lot less sitting if the carriers that are so willing to lease on everyone with a van and drivers license would take the time to look at how much business they do and balance the number of vehicles more closely with their needs. Having a van on every corner is great if you are the carrier and it doesn't cost you anything.
Maybe raising the standards for entry is the answer to the glut of CV's in the market.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I would disagree. First quarter is normally the slowest of the 4. This year has without a doubt been slower. I talk to the "national" carriers, mid size and the small guys on a regular basis. I don't have any of them saying first quarter has been good on the small vehicles. Not sure what the solution is but hoping from carrier to carrier is not going to help. The industry is based off supply and demand. Right now everyone has too much supply and to little demand in the small vehicle segment. We have drivers calling everyday from the few carriers larger than us wanting too be due to lack of miles and sitting. Bottom line, it is a tough time in the market. Se may get lucky with right place right time, but overall volumes are down.

If you have a cdl I personally would be in a straight especially right now. IMHO.

I know nothing about the cargo van segment of the expediting industry, but if I was a cargo van driver or owner-operator, I would place more weight in the above advice than advice given by ten other people.

The reason is that as a carrier owner, Mr. Elliott has a bird's-eye view of the industry that owner-operators can only envy. The man really does interact with other carriers on a regular basis, and he has direct access to his own significant-size fleet numbers.

Seriously. If you are in a cargo van and are contemplating a move, study Elliot's words carefully and think them through.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter

John, not sure why your disagreeing. I didn't say freight wasn't for everyone including the nationals. It is because it is slow for the everyone including the national that when the regional companies get outside their domicile where their customer base is very limited, they have a more difficult time getting their drivers back to their domicile to haul their contract freight.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I wasn't totally disagreeing at all. Just said nationals were soft as well. I wasn't 100% sure that is what you were saying.

Last edited:

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I been in the transportation biz over 25 years. It's always slow in the first quarter. Always been that way always will. Somebody all ready said it. Be ready for the slow times. Make sure you bank when times are good.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
John pretty much said one really important fact... If you have your CDL use it!

I've been contemplating using that option a lot more lately for myself. One of the reasons I never let my CDL go, I always want a back up plan.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With just running straights, I would say they picked back up much faster than vans. January was pathetic but it bounced back in Febuary and March. So far, April has been pretty decent with one week in. January last year was stellar. Just goes to show you can never tell in this business. One of the very reasons I like it. Never a dull moment.

Last edited:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
I been in the transportation biz over 25 years. It's always slow in the first quarter. Always been that way always will. Somebody all ready said it. Be ready for the slow times. Make sure you bank when times are good.

Yep, can't get any plainer than that. Gotta have funds. It really is that simple. Yet, at the same time difficult to grasp when its all good.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
Yep, can't get any plainer than that. Gotta have funds. It really is that simple. Yet, at the same time difficult to grasp when its all good.

Yup it's sometimes hard to know when it's good now a days. The recession has taken the :censoredsign: out of a lot drivers. Been through a couple of these. This one has been the worst.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
no relation to question but does anyone know if panther is still in biz. I got my 70 back twice this week and it looks as though its gonna happen again im solo for awhile grandmas got anew grandson to spoil.do they even know how to how to find freight.
I wont be here long got an app in somewhere else. just sayin

zorry

Veteran Expediter
BTW, good chance the new company may have just as much freight right now.
Things are slow all over.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Save your money, dont live beyond your means and dont think miles for mediocre pay is going to solve your problems. Most important of all, have a plan and stick to it.