Is TRI-STATE RUNNING or are they SITTING like MOST Carriers?

eklektek

Active Expediter
I drove a straight for a owner but found that without a partner we were sitting more often than not. If one does not have a partner who resides with them or relatively close by the situation generally does not work. The man I briefly partnered with wanted to go home every three weeks. Naturally, I played hell trying to get a load back toward Chicago to pick him up on his schedule. That little experiment lasted all but two months.

Unfortunately, I have too many bills and not enough savings to weather this economic dry spell. Which is why I asked my question about Tri-State and their sprinter division. Guess it's time to go and work two shifts at McDonalds lest I end up completely broke.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drove a straight for a owner but found that without a partner we were sitting more often than not. If one does not have a partner who resides with them or relatively close by the situation generally does not work. The man I briefly partnered with wanted to go home every three weeks. Naturally, I played hell trying to get a load back toward Chicago to pick him up on his schedule. That little experiment lasted all but two months.

Unfortunately, I have too many bills and not enough savings to weather this economic dry spell. Which is why I asked my question about Tri-State and their sprinter division. Guess it's time to go and work two shifts at McDonalds lest I end up completely broke.

I agree....I see a McDouble in your future....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I drive a van for a small outfit in Chicago. About that miles before safety thing--- I'm the guy who's gonna be first to the accident scene. Trees and bridge supports are kind of unforgiving when you hit them head on. Ditches don't make the best place to spend the night even if you manage to keep your vehicle upright. If you want to push too hard--- just let me know so I can be somewhere else. When I've run out of time, it's time to stop and get some rest. Dead people don't spend much money, you know.

I drive a van, so of course I don't drive "strictly by the book"-- but I do try to exercise common sense. Tired driving and drunk driving share too many similarities for my liking.

This past quarter has been slow. This past three weeks, I've been running my tail off. Today I'm at home only because I ran the bank account low (a combination of repairs and soft weeks, followed by these three busy weeks will do that.) Tomorrow, I get paid so I'll be fully able to go again with only a day or two "lost"-- and by now, I needed the rest anyway.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
One thing for sure, if it takes running 1500 mile Laredo runs straight through in order for you to be successful, then I feel comfortable saying this isn't the business for you regardless of the carrier.
Everyone wants to make money, but common sense should be a component in that endeavor.
Keep in mind that not every company is for every driver or owner. If so, everyone would be there.
If you drove a straight, maybe there are better opportunites at your current carrier with that type of vehicle? I have no idea. Either way, I would tread carefully as any change you do make will have a cost associated with it. Only you will know if that change is worth the cost.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh please, you mean you have not driven all day and night for 24 to 28 hours straight, sometimes without rest, sometimes with only a 3-4 hour nap? Let's be real here, I'm talking about van & sprinter drivers, not straight truck drivers who have electronic and/or paper logs to deal with. Why do you think we drive Sprinters in the first place? I'm interested in making money and you can't earn a dollar if you're taking a 10 hour nap every 11 hours. I'm just trying to figure out if this whole cargo/sprinter van thing has finally come to it's final conclusion or if there is still some life left in this industry.

Some of you folks must be rolling in cash and burning up your tires with miles right now in this awesome first quarter.
Lucky you.

There has been several van drivers die out here the last few years using that line of thought. It only takes a couple seconds to go from drivers seat to wheelchair or even coffin. I can do some ling hauls never would I drive 24 hours or more. Your drive for money could kill someone else's daughter or mother.

There is money to be made in a van out here but you have to look at it more over a quarter or even six months than week to week. If your driving someone else's van its a stuff row to hoe. Many of us did start that way and slowly worked our way up.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
There has been several van drivers die out here the last few years using that line of thought. It only takes a couple seconds to go from drivers seat to wheelchair or even coffin. I can do some ling hauls never would I drive 24 hours or more. Your drive for money could kill someone else's daughter or mother.

There is money to be made in a van out here but you have to look at it more over a quarter or even six months than week to week. If your driving someone else's van its a stuff row to hoe. Many of us did start that way and slowly worked our way up.

I'd like to know how you drove for A. Blair and never once drove 24 hours straight? Is that even possible? It's just an observation. Now as to the rest of this threas, is this guy for real? I sense a hint of trolling with the whole get two jobs at McDonalds line. People don't understand how much money it actually takes to do this job.

Even as a fleet driver I used to come out on the road with 3k in the bank. Expediting is not a normal nine to five job where you hitch the bus to work, do your job, and begin earning money. You have to get the wheels turning and have enough money to operate your business month by month. If you are undercapitalized you aren't going to make it in expediting.

Maybe it's time for another line of work. Also Tri-State is a very hard company to sign on with. Most of the time they are not taking on cargo vans. They also have mileage restrictions. I don't think you can drive over 700 miles on a load before they swap it out.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I would say, under the terms and conditions as you've listed, that it is going to be very tough to find a carrier that runs the way you want to. However if you like driving old yellow vehicles and speak Russian, you may be able to find a job in Chicago.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There are carriers that run that way and generally pay pretty cheap. I do agree that someone can do that type of run, but that is much different than whether it is smart to do it.
If you are going for hours and miles on your feet, then Micky's is the place. If you are tired the worst thing that happens is you burn your pinky on the fryer.
Much safer there than out on the highway with others.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh please, you mean you have not driven all day and night for 24 to 28 hours straight, sometimes without rest, sometimes with only a 3-4 hour nap? Let's be real here, I'm talking about van & sprinter drivers, not straight truck drivers who have electronic and/or paper logs to deal with. Why do you think we drive Sprinters in the first place? I'm interested in making money and you can't earn a dollar if you're taking a 10 hour nap every 11 hours. I'm just trying to figure out if this whole cargo/sprinter van thing has finally come to it's final conclusion or if there is still some life left in this industry.

Some of you folks must be rolling in cash and burning up your tires with miles right now in this awesome first quarter.
Lucky you.

If you wanna run 24 hrs without any break, then Tri State isn't the comp. you're looking for. Try small carriers, they'll give ya that kinda runs.
P.S. Call Hana Express!

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
To answer part of the question that was asked, while we were there, granted it was 2011, they did limit mileage in vans for safety reasons. To be honest it isnt overly cost effective to have loads transfered, so a lot of times they would work breaks into the loads. Theu were also fair if you did have to transfer, to not screw one party.

I guess this is why they are still owned by the same family as when they started and not someone elses:rolleyes:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Safety 101 lesson: If you're working for an outfit that requires you to run 24 hours without rest--- stop right now, tell them to find somebody else and you find a sane company to drive for. Money is useless if you are dead--- and you WILL BE DEAD if you drive too many hours without getting some rest. Any questions???

The load you're carrying won't get there faster if your van ends up in the ditch, upside down and in flames. This is no game.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Be careful. I remember a couple years back there was a mass migration from one carrier to another because percentage drivers were getting beaten up, and company 2 was protected by fixed rates. Then freight and rates took off and the fix rate guys were left in the dust. I remember one member by name who got caught a second time trying to catch the market going the other direction. They ended up trading a loss for a loss for a loss.

eb

That reminds me of how the average individual investor often reacts to the movement of stock prices: Herd mentality at it's finest makes it easy for them to buy high and sell low.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Oh please, you mean you have not driven all day and night for 24 to 28 hours straight, sometimes without rest, sometimes with only a 3-4 hour nap? Let's be real here, I'm talking about van & sprinter drivers, not straight truck drivers who have electronic and/or paper logs to deal with. Why do you think we drive Sprinters in the first place? I'm interested in making money and you can't earn a dollar if you're taking a 10 hour nap every 11 hours. I'm just trying to figure out if this cargo/sprinter van thing has finally come to it's final conclusion or if there is still some life left in this industry.

Lucky you.

If only you knew how wrong you were. I would not drive a van because I make more running t/t and s/t. Just this week as a company driver with benefits I made $902 running solo on elogs. Doubtful you will make that in a van unless you own it which you do not.

Most van drivers don't want big trucks because then they would have to go get proper license. I said some not all ovm and moot!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Lucky you.

A straight answer...Yes....done it for my last carrier and done it with my present carrier....with maybe 4-6 extra hrs for sleep...the time to fuel up you have to make up over the road to maintain that sleep time.....just run in fuel and go....personally I am lucky to get over 500 miles to the tank...sure saves on stops...

Dale..take off the rose coloured glasses....stop drinking the koolaid!....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If only you knew how wrong you were. I would not drive a van because I make more running t/t and s/t. Just this week as a company driver with benefits I made $902 running solo on elogs. Doubtful you will make that in a van unless you own it which you do not.

Most van drivers don't want big trucks because then they would have to go get proper license. I said some not all ovm and moot!

There were times when a solo CV driver on the 40/60 split/owner paying fuel...could make $2500 gross a week on more occasions then not....but these days is a tough act to do....

BigCat

Expert Expediter
There were times when a solo CV driver on the 40/60 split/owner paying fuel...could make $2500 gross a week on more occasions then not....but these days is a tough act to do....

Maybe before the $.70 cpm days but ill seriously doubt any fleet driver in a van has hit anywhere near that as of late. 40% of $.70 cpm is only $.28 cpm.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Huge difference between driving 24 hours straight and with a 4 or 6 hour nap. Not even comparable.

sirgregory46

Expert Expediter
I am with Ovm on this one. Most everyone puts 4 to 5 hr extra on a run that far. Plus at the 45 to 50 mph they use to schedule the load you should have plenty of time to time get a nap if you have good time management. People are all built differently some have the ability to drive longer than the others. I will myself have no problem driving long hours but I am a product of the early 80s driving tt with meat and produce. We never slept!! :)