Is TRI-STATE RUNNING or are they SITTING like MOST Carriers?

eklektek

Active Expediter
Sprinter Driver seeking factual up to date information regarding Tri-State.
Is the oldest family owned expediter company running the wheels off their sprinter van expediters or have most drivers opted to sit it out at truck stops and/or return home to ride out this first quarter downturn?

Also, will Tri-State allow a single driver to run from Laredo to Detroit non-stop if necessary or do they place safety above mileage with their vans as they do with their straight trucks. I am not interested in transferring loads/swapping freight since I can't make money this way when you factor in all the sitting we do.

Since I tend to stay out 3-4 months before returning home I am interested in finding and working for a company that can produce results, not just bid on loads only to lose them to other carriers.

Am I asking for too much here or has Obama economics and russian speaking spetznaz blackmarket rogue carriers simply ruined this industry?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Is the oldest family owned expediter company running the wheels off their sprinter van expediters or have most drivers opted to sit it out at truck stops and/or return home to ride out this first quarter downturn?

Also, will Tri-State allow a single driver to run from Laredo to Detroit non-stop if necessary or do they place safety above mileage with their vans as they do with their straight trucks. I am not interested in transferring loads/swapping freight since I can't make money this way when you factor in all the sitting we do.

Since I tend to stay out 3-4 months before returning home I am interested in finding and working for a company that can produce results, not just bid on loads only to lose them to other carriers.

Am I asking for too much here or has Obama economics and russian speaking spetznaz blackmarket rogue carriers simply ruined this industry?

Oh, you're a friendly one, I see.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Also, will Tri-State allow a single driver to run from Laredo to Detroit non-stop if necessary or do they place safety above mileage with their vans as they do with their straight trucks.

Is this a serious question? I don't know many companies that would place mileage above safety...

Dale

eklektek

Active Expediter
Is this a serious question? I don't know many companies that would place mileage above safety...

Dale

Oh please, you mean you have not driven all day and night for 24 to 28 hours straight, sometimes without rest, sometimes with only a 3-4 hour nap? Let's be real here, I'm talking about van & sprinter drivers, not straight truck drivers who have electronic and/or paper logs to deal with. Why do you think we drive Sprinters in the first place? I'm interested in making money and you can't earn a dollar if you're taking a 10 hour nap every 11 hours. I'm just trying to figure out if this whole cargo/sprinter van thing has finally come to it's final conclusion or if there is still some life left in this industry.

Some of you folks must be rolling in cash and burning up your tires with miles right now in this awesome first quarter.
Lucky you.

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member

So much for loyalty.....

eklektek

Active Expediter
Freedom Is Not Free

I watched the flag pass by one day.
It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Marine saluted it,
and then he stood at ease.
I looked at him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
He'd stand out in any crowd.
I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil?
How many mothers' tears?
How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea?
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of TAPS one night,
When everything was still
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.
I wondered just how many times
That TAPS had meant "Amen,"
When a flag had draped a coffin
Of a brother or a friend.
I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.
I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington.
No, freedom isn't free.

~Kelly Strong~

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So much for loyalty.....

They have every right to ask. No one can decide what's right for someone else. They might be best to leave the negatives out that never looks good but they have the right to earn a living.

eklektek

Active Expediter
Loyalty? ROFLMAO!

Loyalty you say? Will loyalty make your house payment? Will loyalty put food on your table or make your car payment? Will loyalty take care of your credit card payments or the monthly alarm system I must use to give me some semblence of security while I am away from my home for weeks and months on end hoping to earn enough money to satisfy my creditors, despite the fact that this industry does not provide and/or even contribute a portion to my health insurance? Loyalty you say? You must have a large IRA to fall back on, I know I don't. Perhaps you are retired from the military or some other civil service occupation. Good for you, I wish I were in your shoes, but unfortunately, I made some mistakes in my life and maybe I took a wrong turn here and there that brought me to where I am now. However, I am still strong and able bodied, I am not seeking a hand-out from my government. I am here to work, I am asking for work, I am PRAYING for work and I am HOPING FOR WORK.

LOYALTY is a two way street my friend and most of all, Loyalty is earned, it is not simply handed over based upon the cheerleading and self-serving exhaultations of others.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I know an owner who runs for Tri State with a Sprinter type truck and he says it's been awfully slow with them. I do know others with the same type unit running their wheels off. It is the first quarter and it's usually the first quarter blues. The economy is the pits and it will stay that way until they get that arragant OB out of office and the small business's start working again. I think most of the owners who are surviving right now are running for company's that are diversified and not soaly working with the automotive industry and bid boards. Some more successfull company's actually go out and look for freight other than automotive. :rolleyes:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Oh please, you mean you have not driven all day and night for 24 to 28 hours straight, sometimes without rest, sometimes with only a 3-4 hour nap? Let's be real here, I'm talking about van & sprinter drivers, not straight truck drivers who have electronic and/or paper logs to deal with. Why do you think we drive Sprinters in the first place?

NO. I don't... if there's not enough time in it to run safely, I'm adult enough to say no.

I'm not burning up my tires at all.. but I'm getting by.

Dale

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Be careful. I remember a couple years back there was a mass migration from one carrier to another because percentage drivers were getting beaten up, and company 2 was protected by fixed rates. Then freight and rates took off and the fix rate guys were left in the dust. I remember one member by name who got caught a second time trying to catch the market going the other direction. They ended up trading a loss for a loss for a loss.

eb

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Possibly this isn't the right path for you.
Not trying to be sarcastic.
If you can drive a straight or larger you can make a decent living.
If you can raise to the top,with a top carrier,you can make a great living.
The first quarter has been tough.
You need to be at a level in this industry that you can weather a bad quarter or two with uour savings.
That's just a sad truth about expediting.

NO GUARANTEES HERE.

guido4475

Not a Member
They have every right to ask. No one can decide what's right for someone else. They might be best to leave the negatives out that never looks good but they have the right to earn a living.

It IS my opinion, Ziggy.I never said they did not have the right to ask.

guido4475

Not a Member
Loyalty? ROFLMAO!

Loyalty you say? Will loyalty make your house payment? Will loyalty put food on your table or make your car payment? Will loyalty take care of your credit card payments or the monthly alarm system I must use to give me some semblence of security while I am away from my home for weeks and months on end hoping to earn enough money to satisfy my creditors, despite the fact that this industry does not provide and/or even contribute a portion to my health insurance? Loyalty you say? You must have a large IRA to fall back on, I know I don't. Perhaps you are retired from the military or some other civil service occupation. Good for you, I wish I were in your shoes, but unfortunately, I made some mistakes in my life and maybe I took a wrong turn here and there that brought me to where I am now. However, I am still strong and able bodied, I am not seeking a hand-out from my government. I am here to work, I am asking for work, I am PRAYING for work and I am HOPING FOR WORK.

LOYALTY is a two way street my friend and most of all, Loyalty is earned, it is not simply handed over based upon the cheerleading and self-serving exhaultations of others.

As to what you may see, it is the farthest from the truth about me, even though what you said I may be would be nice. I have it alot worse than most, but even through that, I try to keep my attitude positive as much as I can, as difficult as it may be sometimes.

Cheerleading-exhaultations - Well, you can call it that if you want, but I call it the truth of what I believe.And what I feel. It was explained earlier as to why I feel the way I do about this company.
do I get it to get more loads? Nope. My load count or income is not any greater than the Most. I sit more than I like to, sure. But that is the name of the game when you are leased to a more expensive carrier.I'm not going to sit on here and whine like a little baby about it, either. I will make the best of it, the best way I know how to.It is what it is.Can't take the heat? Get out of the kitchen.

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
As to what you may see, it is the farthest from the truth about me, even though what you said I may be would be nice. I have it alot worse than most, but even through that, I try to keep my attitude positive as much as I can, as difficult as it may be sometimes.

Cheerleading-exhaultations - Well, you can call it that if you want, but I call it the truth of what I believe.And what I feel. It was explained earlier as to why I feel the way I do about this company.
do I get it to get more loads? Nope. My load count or income is not any greater than the Most. I sit more than I like to, sure. But that is the name of the game when you are leased to a more expensive carrier.I'm not going to sit on here and whine like a little baby about it, either. I will make the best of it, the best way I know how to.It is what it is.Can't take the heat? Get out of the kitchen.

Errm, I no longer have a kitchen to get out of...:(

sent using my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
But on a positive note....
Oh, nevermind.:D

sent using my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't want to work for any company that puts miles before safety.
The dispatcher doesn't end up in a wheel chair when some nutcase doses off and rolls a $printer.
The driver MAY.
What, for a few hundred bucks ?