is this the perfect sprinter alternative?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Those are nice looking vans. Do you have the 6 speed with 3.73 gears?

If you bought it new, the mileage will probably improve over the next 20,000 or so. One of the best things I did for my mpg was swap the oem air filter for a K&N....just the filter is all you need. O'reiily has/had them for about $68 best I remember. I gained about 3/4 mpg with just that. I'm told that a good engine tune will increase the mpg by 1-2 mpg also. I haven't done that yet...still under warranty.

Bought it w/ 47,000 on it...going to get the K&n cold air intake...

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Bought it w/ 47,000 on it...going to get the K&n cold air intake...
I don't think anyone actually makes a complete intake for the vans. The research I did also suggest that the intake on most newer vehicles is pretty good as oem...you just need the filter.

They are lifetime filters, but I bought a second one so that I could have one ready to drop in, then wash and clean the dirty one with plenty of drying time before needing it back in the van. I think you'll be happy with the filter...and the van! I predict a solid 16 mpg+ with the filter.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think "perfect" alternitives will be the new ford or dodge the others are still just converted vans.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Agreed. I was thinking it was the perfect alternative for GM fans as they are not in the "high top" arena yet and I don't see anything on the horizon from GM yet either.:(

I knew about the HCV but for some reason I thought this was a little different.
I thought I had discovered something new.:eek:

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
New to sprinters/vans - is the sprinter the only vehicle available now that is under 10,000 that can handle 3 skids? And the Transit will be able to handle 3 when the bigger version is available in the US?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Other than aftermarket outfitters, yes. Both the Transit and Dodge Promaster will join that club in September.

mohawk

Active Expediter
Was just looking at a cargomax and the owner informed me that the only configuration that comes under 10k gvw has a different size tire on the front than the rear. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Cause if that's the case i can scratch that off my list of potential first vans lol.

guido4475

Not a Member
Was just looking at a cargomax and the owner informed me that the only configuration that comes under 10k gvw has a different size tire on the front than the rear. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Cause if that's the case i can scratch that off my list of potential first vans lol.

Yes, it is correct. Heavier weight rated rim/tire in the rear, which would be fine with me. However, A couple of weeks ago, I did see an All-State leased Cargomax with aftermarket aluminum wheels on it, all 4 the same size. It looked real nice!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
CargoMax does use different sizes front and rear. I'm not a fan of it although I own on. Their competition, Ultramax, uses the same size rims front and rear and they are built very similar to the CargoMax. Ultramax is built in Indiana vs CargoMax being built in Canada. The UltraMax in my opinion is a nicer build, but more expensive from what I've seen. The UltraMax is built by TurtleTop mfg. If you want to see their version, just search for Turtletop's webpage and you'll see a link for Ultra/TerraMax vehicles. TerraMax is Ford, UltraMax is Chevy...same body on both.