is this the perfect sprinter alternative?

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I stumbled upon this while googling for "gmc high top vans".

Anybody have any idea who manufactures these?

Why haven't I seen any of them on the road? Is there something wrong?
Forget the specs in the ad.
Should be no reason why they would'nt build it on a 3500 chassis as well.

This looks to be better areodynamically (more sprinter like), and so should be better fuel wise than the comparable SRW cubes out there.

They say 13 feet long but I think it's more like 12' 9" which I believe is the length of the extended van.

Sorry for posting this here instead of the Truck Talk forum but I thought I might have better luck here with a broader audience just getting someone to I.D the manufacturer/upfitter.

New 2011 GMC Savana 2500 Extended WB HighTop Cargo Vans (2 available) | Athens | eBay Classifieds (Kijiji) | 23797334

Thanks!

{Moved to Truck Talk, since the topic of the thread, not the desired audience size, determines into which forum a thread belongs. - Turtle}

Last edited by a moderator:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I may have seen something like that around here.

The thing that concerns me is the weight, to get that high-top obviously you give up some payload-- fiberglass doesn't come cheap in the weight department. If you put it on a 3500, though-- I can see this sitting in my parking spot some day.

guido4475

Not a Member
It's an Armidillo conversion, pretty sure of it. I think Jack Berry had one. Terrible workmanship, fit and finish. And for what they want for one? (Are they even still in business?)You'd be better off buying a Spartan body Ford or Chevy.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think "perfect" alternitives will be the new ford or dodge the others are still just converted vans.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For that price, on a 3500 chassis, if it had all the extras like pw, pl, etc., it wouldn't be an awful option compared to a Sprinter but it will only be a 2 skids plus 28" or so personal space van. Standing upright would be a nice improvement though.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I emailed them and this is what I got back.

Hi Bill! Thanks for the inquiry. This is an Armadillo upfit package.

The rear door height is 72" (6 ft). These vans also have passenger side swing out doors with an opening measuring approximately 6' high by 4' wide.

Please note we have just reduced the price to $29,999, a $14,241 discount from MSRP.

Let me know if you have need any other information or more detailed pictures.

Mark. 706-549-8580. Ext 164

Bill: We don't have any 3500 Savana models, as our dealership is discontinuing carrying commercial vehicles. I can hook you up with a great commerical GMC dealer if you'd like. The curb weight for the Savana 2500 HighTop EWB we have in stock is 5505lb plus 500lb+/- for the upfit. Mark

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I might be inclined to buy because it's not a Sprinter.

Look, Sprinters-- especially the big ones-- are roomy as you could want. Mercedes could own this market, no questions asked, if---.

If is a mighty big word sometimes. If Mercedes backed the Sprinter after the sale. If repairs were relatively easy, and you could get parts without having to wait a month for them to be shipped from Germany. If you could take your van to any Mercedes or Freightliner dealer and count on fast, competent and friendly service.

Too often Mercedes fails on the back-end, the very place they need to succeed if they want repeat business. When I had a Sprinter, I don't even want to think of how many times I would call a dealer only to find that they don't service Sprinters. Won't even look at them. Of course, for this van after-market parts and service are almost impossible.

Now, the van in the OP is a Chevy. Right there, I feel better about parts and service. I know I can get parts, and if I need service I can find a decent mechanic who can work on it. Same with the Fords. It makes a huge difference if you have the misfortune to break down in Cowpasture, KY and the nearest Mercedes/Freightliner dealer-- who won't touch your Sprinter anyway-- is fifty miles away while the nearest mechanic who is qualified to work on your Chevy is right there in Cowpasture.

I give Chevy and Ford the benefit because of service after the sale. If Mercedes ever figures that out, they could own this market.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would wait to see how the Transit works out before I made a move. It has the potential to be the best unit of all. The Dodge could also be a winner. Although I'm happy with my CargoMax, xiggi is correct, they are all just upfitted cargo vans. Nothing more, nothing less. If the van in the original post is an HCV, which it appears to be, I would encourage you to take a close look at the door construction and the door seals on the body. I was not impressed with quality at all. The rest of the body seemed to be a pretty good build.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If these new vans,the Transit and the new Dodge, do really well will they take enough market share to eliminate the Cargomax ,etc ?
Are those other upfitters diversified enough to survive the loss ?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If these new vans,the Transit and the new Dodge, do really well will they take enough market share to eliminate the Cargomax ,etc ?
Are those other upfitters diversified enough to survive the loss ?
The impact will be heavy. I don't know enough about their market outside of expedite to know chances for survival. Some will still prefer the upfits. Personally, the only real thing that would make me trade would be fuel mileage. I'm pretty happy with mine. I wouldn't invest any money into any of the upfitter businesses at this point.

osumike33

Seasoned Expediter
I would wait to see how the Transit works out before I made a move. It has the potential to be the best unit of all. The Dodge could also be a winner. Although I'm happy with my CargoMax, xiggi is correct, they are all just upfitted cargo vans. Nothing more, nothing less. If the van in the original post is an HCV, which it appears to be, I would encourage you to take a close look at the door construction and the door seals on the body. I was not impressed with quality at all. The rest of the body seemed to be a pretty good build.

I saw a new Transit at the Chicago Auto Show the other night...I guess the bigger ones still are not sold here yet? But will be? I don't know the whole story, but even the one I saw, which is not yet available here, did not appear to have as much space as the bigger sprinters. Did not see any large Dodges, though could have missed it. And are the gas engines going to last as long as the diesel? Did like the Rolls though with about 616 hp.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How many skids does the rolls hold? Lol

The Rolls-Royce Expeditor Edition is designed to transport an envelope in exquisite comfort, nestled in a Connolly Leather briefcase. The operator can sleep under the LED stars embedded in the Wilton wool headliner.

Its companion, the Bugatti Veyron Expeditor Edition, is designed to transport a similar envelope, in a similar briefcase, at speeds approaching 260 mph. It is not quite as luxurious as the Rolls-Royce, but is better suited to those transporters who require long-distance travel without worry of running out of hours.

To enquire as to the availability of our fine products, please visit

aprilfools.com/expeditor .

Thank you.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Aren't the cargo max 12,300 gvw??

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I just bought this...so far so good.. 12'L x 64"T x 53" between wheel wells...6.0 6spd auto..so far 15-16 mpg
..9,900 gvw

Attachments

• 1360900502273.jpg
    1360900502273.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 38

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I just bought this...so far so good.. 12'L x 64"T x 53" between wheel wells...6.0 6spd auto..so far 15-16 mpg
..9,900 gvw
Those are nice looking vans. Do you have the 6 speed with 3.73 gears?

If you bought it new, the mileage will probably improve over the next 20,000 or so. One of the best things I did for my mpg was swap the oem air filter for a K&N....just the filter is all you need. O'reiily has/had them for about $68 best I remember. I gained about 3/4 mpg with just that. I'm told that a good engine tune will increase the mpg by 1-2 mpg also. I haven't done that yet...still under warranty.