Is This Forum For Everyone, Or Just An Elite Few?

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Is This Forum For Everyone, Or Just An Elite F

It may not be any of my business nor am I part of the Mod Squad anymore (or do you not call it that) but I think both you LM and you too Dave are reading the post of McBride and interpreting it in the wrong manner. She stated To top it off, this individual has also been a source of controversy while posting on at least three other web sites because of an inability to accept criticisms without inferring liable litigation would/could be pending anyone daring to pose a challenge to his statements or scenarios. she never stated there is a law suit now or ever pending. (unless I am missing something?) As for the credential thing she stated where is this? I have looked and cannot find any posts that state any declarations are necessary. I'd have to say, Nancy is one of the devoted members and is on EO's side!!!

Maybe this is what some mean about wanting the old forum back. I have noticed in recent threads (at times) Mods don’t understand or misinterpret what the poster is writing, and the Mod may reply wrongly and (at times) even attack or accuse the poster when the fact is the Moderator is the one who is wrong

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Teacel,
You are correct. I misunderstood the beginning of the post. After re-reading it, I see what you mean.
I will have to be careful when talking on the phone and reading a post at the same time.
I stand corrected
Davekc
owner
20 years

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter

Try reading and typing while watching TV. Now that is skill.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I am going to have to work up to that one. (lol)
Davekc
owner
20 years

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
! ! ! The Forum has Spoken ! ! !

At this time your thread has received 44 responses. Of those one was yours, two were mine, one was a one word response of “why?” from your husband, who posted another response to his original, fourteen would be considered either “off topic” or neutral. One posted in your favor twice, and then retracted.

The final count counselor, is ....

in favor of your post 2
off topic or neutral 22

against your post 20

Your criticism of those calling for the posting of credentials on the signature line, has been heard and the members have responded overwhelmingly against your opinion.

It is interesting to those of us who have made this an issue, that one of the latest post from your husband, Phil (Jim, ATeam) openly brags about the experience of the “brain trust” he assembled for the construction of your truck. The following is a quote from your husband’s post on a thread titled “Gear Ratios” in the “Truck Talk” forum.

As is, the eleven-man brain trust brings 232 years of combined industry experience to the project, with an average of 21.1 years each.

It appears to all of us, that while you are making an issue of why experienced individuals do not always know best, and that the opinion of anyone who researches a topic should be considered, your husband openly admits that he sought out not one but eleven people with over two hundred years of combined experience.

The pair of you leaves us confused about your intentions.

I have permission from the majority of those posting against your point of view to request that each of your either post your credentials pertaining to this industry or turn on the rating system provided by the originators of this web site, or better yet do both.

Your failure to conform to the majority opinion will announce to all who read this that you wish to participate on unequal terms and complain that all others are being unreasonable.

I rest my case.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: ! ! ! The Forum has Spoken ! ! !

Not only are these types of posts confusing, but they bring an issue of credibility into the picture. Experience does matter regardless of the industry. Even if it only relates to the driving portion of expediting. If that is in question, please contact your commercial insurance carrier and ask him if it matters relevant to coverage and rates. Same goes for finance companies. Both use industry statistics to arrive at levels that correspond to their services. Many companies require a certain number of years for age and driving professionally. Of course driving record regardless of experience is a factor as well.
If it didn't matter, they would lend or insure anyone. Some still do, but for considerable cost.
Davekc
owner
20 years

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I want to add to my previous post
I COUTION YOU! THIS POST MAY OFEND SOME AS IS A LONG POST!!!​

”There is no doubt about it; this IS the site for expedited trucking!
I'm here every chance I get; I'm always learning something new. Everybody here is so helpful, and you don't have to worry about asking a stupid question, because nobody here, that's a regular anyways, makes fun of your questions.
Thanks guys, for a wonderful site!!! Keep up the good work!!
Dan”

That my friends, colleges and fellow members is a quote from <danzman49 A member since Dec-22-03> that he wrote back in Feb of 2004. Here is the link to the thread:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi..._thread&om=1916&forum=DCForumID1&viewmode=all
Reply #3 to a message (FYI) I started about the EO classified helping me.

I know a lot of you don’t want to post because of the fear of what others will say. Most of you that have been around know that we, most of the members here at EO will not tolerate anyone bashing other members that are sincere and really needs help. Maybe you think your question is a dumb one. The fact is! The only dumb question is the one not ask. Remember back when you first got into expediting, and needed help. Now you can help others. Maybe you’re new to the site and/or the profession, and want help? If you don’t ask, we can’t help. So fire away! There is someone somewhere reading this forum, wanting to learn what this is all about.

I wrote this back in Aug of 2003 the link to the thread in its entirety is here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=1729&forum=DCForumID1

Here is another cut from that same thread: One more thing I want to add: If you aren't posting or replying because you think you don't have very good grammar or because your spelling is a little off, Please don’t allow that to stop you from helping another member, or from you asking for help yourself. There are a lot of us that aren’t English majors or can’t spell (KAT) or is that (CAT)!!!!! I spend more time reading Mr. Webster than I do typing the words when I post or reply. A typo is the best excuse of any, for a misspelled word. So don’t worry about anything. Start posting!!!

The EO format is to inform and help others learn and know what expediting is all about. We are here to provide one another with information about expediting and everything revolved around expediting. What better way to get it? Or! Who better to provide that information than directly from the horse him or herself? Hearing things coming right from the horses mouth is what the EO forums is all about. Lets keep expediting alive, let’s keep sharing our information, thoughts, hopes, and dreams with one another. To post it on the EO forums is to post it to the world.

CONTROVERSY!!!
I noticed recently there is once again something not good happening on the forum. I hope it’s just friendly controversy on the forum (but I don’t think so). Controversy brings health and wealth to the forum. Members come back to see how or what the turn out will be, some add their 2cents whether to correct or support, but it brings posts which bring out the best or worst in all of us. But there is a difference in controversy and being obnoxious. I hope this is all that is going on and I am dead wrong in my observation of what I see? I see a repeat of a few years ago, same old, same old. I’m not just seeing this coming to the surface now, it has been for quite some time. If you dislike someone, are jealous of others, or are pretending to be someone you’re not, you know who you are!!! No one has to post in regards of defending ones self; most of the readers know who’s who!

There always seams to be one member who is always in the middle of questionable activities (negative behavior), HOW CAN THIS BE???

Criticism! I’m talking about good old down to earth constructive criticism is a powerful tool when used properly. Some no matter how mild it may be cannot take criticism and will mistake it as an attack therefore becoming defensive, but why continue to expose the rest to the members to this behavior? If you can’t take criticism then don’t criticize! If criticism is handled appropriately by both the person criticized and the person being criticized, critical feedback can promote constructive growth in individuals and relationships, but I don’t see this happening here. Those who criticize need to value and invite criticism. Criticism can be promoted if the critic first invites criticism of his or her own behavior, but some cannot or will not allow that. By inviting criticism (if one can), a person can create a situation in which his/her criticism of another is perceived as appropriate (but this can only happen if one can accept it).

WHAT EO IS ABOUT!!!
I don’t have a solution to what I see as the problem, but would like to voice my opinion if I may. Most newer members don’t know me from a can of whop asssssssssssssss (how many s’s, and why that many??? If you can guess you win the prize! See Elmo!!!) Every one of us has his/her own personality and is unique in our own way. This forum is a member only to post, semi private forum, but public forum. If I was a moderator I don’t know what or how I would react to some of the posts in question, but I would be of authority to do something be it right or wrong. There are some members I don’t like and let them know it, but still respect them (not like some on this site. If another member extended an apology to me I would accept it out of respect, and not question his motives unless I didn’t want to accept it in the first place, of which I would tell him so. I have the right not to reply to any post or poster I don’t like. I also have the right to disagree with another, doing so properly set by EO standards, not causing a bunch of havoc all the time. I have the right to quit posting altogether if I prefer, and I have the right to offer my knowledge and/or opinion in a professional manner, but to respect others when they correct me about something. If I make a suggestion and 2 or more members tell me I am wrong, I listen to what the other members are saying about why I may be wrong. If I see someone posting wrong info I usually correct it (professionally) when I have proof to back it up.

Is there really a protocol for being or becoming an Expediter? When researching as a newbie would you rather learn from those with experience (who has been there and done that) or from some other newbie still learning the ropes? In other words would you rather receive info from a good successful O/O of say 8 or 10 yrs., or from another driver in the business with only 1 or 2 yrs.? The choice is yours!!!

THE OLD FORUM!!!
I don’t like it when a member is having a problem with a sponsor and posts their problem (and at times in rage) and the post gets deleted. I don’t like threads being locked because of one or two distraught members, and I’m sure there are more things I don’t like about this forum. BUT!!! Take a minute to put yourself in the shoes of the EO staff and owners. If they were to allow everyone with a sponsor problem post his/her dilemma to the tune of loosing all its sponsors how would you pay for the site? If you were a sponsor and lost business because of members bashing you and/or your product how would you stay in business? I feel a member with a problem should be able to post the issue and the sponsor reply their take on the matter, but this isn’t my forum and I have to be okay with the owners decision to protect his/her sponsors but why protect members always creating havoc with other members? (Now that you’ve read this much remember the opening few lines)

Like Nancy stated in a post “I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE OLD FORUM BACK TOO!!!” But times change and to be a success I guess one must change with the times… I DO RESPECT ALL EO MEMBERS RIGHT OR WRONG, LIKE OR DISLIKE YA… LOL!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard

Thanks Tony; you're a wise sage.

I truely hope all the members take your comments to heart.

Terry

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Tony-Mon,

Telling it like it is. 6 Years and chugging. My hats off to you.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Tony terrific post,you couldn't have said it better.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I agree. A great post!
Davekc
owner
20 years

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Read it three times, after printing it out. Possibly EO's finest post to date:)

-Weave-