Is there such a thing as too much equipment?

gotta go

Veteran Expediter
Or, how do you know when you've got everything you need?
This comes to mind as I eagerly anticipate my annual shopping spree, commonly known as MATS.
Do you have the minimum requirements put forward by your carrier or have you gone so far overboard you've reduced your capacity by 1,000 pounds?
My personal theory is that if I've used all (insert multiple choice items here) that I have available, I need at least one more.
I carry 14 decking bars, I've seen plenty of trucks with only 2. I have 5 tension load locks, for the versatility they provide. Straps, I think are down to 8. Put that on my list, $12.99 for 20' strap. Moving pads, 12. Only time I needed all of them at once was when doing a pizza party for 3 Trucker Buddy classes. Tarp straps, plenty. Corner protectors, 6, seldom used, but handy. If I see the logistic sleeves available I'll probably pick 4 of them up.
What else am I missing? What makes your work easier? My truck isn't equipped with a liftgate, so I don't get into the inside delivery type of needs.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter
YES, you can have too much!
Currently, we are carrying:
14 e-track load bars, 14 twelve-foot straps, 2 twenty-foot straps, 4 large and 4 medium corner protectors, 8 logistic sleeves, 8 motorcycle tie-downs w/ e-track ring thingies, pallet jack, dolly, wood furniature dollies, 24 pads, rubber bands, magna cart, plywood, 2- 2x4s, and there's a tote with a couple of strap extenders and whatnots that I always forget...

We use the logistic sleeves almost every load. The tie-downs come in handy, too. I would love to leave 16 of the pads and all dollies at home. It seems like we never use them.

Oh, and one bungee. Mr. Jansiemoo hates bungees, but I insisted.

The main problem all the equipment creates is that the organization is never complete. We are constantly discussing shelving options and have yet to find the perfect solution. With a reefer box, it's something like 17"d of space to store it all. (I have not seen a pic of A-team's setup, and would love to see it! *wink, wink*)

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jeanie, Jansie: I need the logistics sleeves, any idea where to get some?
Last time I was looking, a friend said he might could fab some for me, [because the place I found had stopped selling them over a patent issue], but I think he meant in about 5 or 6 years, sigh.
I have 4 load bars [2 heavy steel, 2 lightweight Savealoads], and a bunch of straps, and a couple pads, and it works for me. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As FedEx Custom Critical White Glove Services contractors, Diane and I do a lot of lift gate, pad wrap and inside delivery work. Our philosophy is that if we needed or wanted a piece of freight handling equipment once, we will probably need or want it again so we buy it.

We made all of our purchases early on and have not purchased a new piece of equipment in a long time. The only thing we got rid of was 12 furniture pads when we moved from a DR-unit to a CR-unit. We carried 36 pads in the DR-unit but found we needed no more than 24 in the CR-unit. The extras are in storage at home.