Is the UAW responsible?

taternuts

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone think that the UAW is at least partialy responisble for this financial problem with the Big Three?

I read this article that caught my attention

The members of the UAW may finally realize that Unions don’t work. It’s common knowledge these days that the UAW was the driving force in GM’s stellar $10.6B loss in 2005, $2B loss in 2006. Or Ford’s $6B loss in 2006. The UAW drove wages to $75/hr (base + benefits) for unskilled labor. Of course, the management accepted it, so management is to blame too.

Now that Ford and GM have no money left, the UAW really can’t screw them anymore. With $12B in losses, the management at GM has pretty decent footing when it says, “sorry, can’t give you more”. It’s not the same as the concessions they gave during the auto boom.

Agree or Disagree?

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
You realize, of course, that by the same measure that a UAW worker makes $75 an hour a Mac Donald's worker probably makes $15 and a Wal-Marter better than $20? I've seen the math from which this figure is derived; it includes stuff that _no one_ else adds in, like the SSI co-payment by the employer to Uncle Sam that never appears on anyone's check. It's also highly-skewed by retirement outlays that at least in part _GM paid for years ago, while the retired workers were still working_. It's ridiculous to charge the cost of the (rightly, given the demographics) shrinking pension fund against the wages of current workers.

UAW members make about $28 an hour for performing highly structured work at often 98% job loadings, meaning that by the latest scientific techniques it's been determined that they have about one second out of every minute when their attention is not fully engaged fitting mufflers, lifting tires and wheels, or setting heavy batteries in trays. That's every minute, every hour, week after week and year after year. Both Japanese and German auto workers earn more for less work, the last I heard; the most labor-efficient auto plants in the world are located in places like Georgia and Michigan, and have signs out in front them that read "Ford" and "GM". A few lucky guys on the fringes, the people you guys meet, who have more seniority than Jesus, get to drive fork trucks and laze about for the last few months of their careers. They feel they've earned the privilege, right or wrong.

By the way, I'm against the bailouts, on ethical and constitutional grounds. Don't expect me to defend them here. But, I'm also against statisticians who make figures lie, and liars who make their livings figuring. The last year I had hard data for, which was 1990, the total cost of labor in a union-built automobile was generally about 15% of the sticker. That's up now, I'm sure, due to rising retiree health-care costs. But it's still not the huge game-breaker that it's being portrayed as. This is why Goettelfinger pointed out yesterday that the UAW could work for free, and it would make little difference given the scope and magnitude of today's problem.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
the mess is share equally by the UAW and management. New hires at auto plants work for half the old workers, they have co pays an med and they do not get to be part of the job bank. The UAW has made changes, enough? Well maybe if they fired everyone and started over, then the wages would be in line with the rest of america and they might make it. We know thats not going to happen. So let them go under, file BK, reorganize and dump the unions and all that they have locked into place with the majority of their work force.

I also am against the bailout for the same constitutional reason, im not stuck on ethics in dealing with the government, but when it comes to employees and employer, if you don't work together, you will have what you see here in the auto industry today. Dump the union contracts, start over and even let the UAW back, but with really limited power, no where near what they have now.

Oh, my dad was a union rep (teamsters, trucking) for yrs, so i come from a union family.

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
Rabbit, can you provide links to credible sources on any of this stuff?

Most of it is from personal experience and intensive training I received as a leader at the Saturn plant, back when it was new circa 1990. This training, conducted jointly by management and the UAW and whose content had to be approved by both sides, cited the figures RE percentage of labor in the car's sticker price, and US labor rates vis-a-vis those of Japan and Germany.

About five-seven years ago, GM gave a handout to every employee in which the much-quoted $75-80 (I forget exactly) figure was explained. This handout, which was _not_ a joint product with the UAW, included the (ridiculous) formula by which the figure was obtained.

The job-loading data is available to anyone with access to a UAW/GM local contract. 95% is the standard agreed-upon work load target; in practice, the figures are much closer to 100%. When you work an assembly line your every motion is pre-planned, and unless something breaks the line never stops except for lunch, etc. It's utterly remorseless; essentially the workers become human robots. GM used to frequently publish the annual productivity-award winners in their internal newsletters; I recall that a Ford plant was the perennial winner, trailed by a whole series of GM plants and then, usually low in the top ten, Honda in Ohio. Sadly, I was in a motorcycle wreck a few months back, and have been on sick leave as a result. Prior to that I was on layoff for almost a year. So it's been awhile since I've seen a newsletter. (I ought to be back at work any day now, for those who might care. It's been a long road, but I'm almost there.)

Of course, I didn't save the training materials from twenty years ago; given that the production/leadership/management system which they covered neither exists any longer nor was considered a success, there seemed little point in preserving hundreds of pounds of texts. Nor did I keep that little one-page handout, though I quite clearly recall examining it in detail and wondering in sheer amazement at the magnitude of the "big lie" approach it employed. So, I can't offer you a "quick and easy" URL to click on or a publication to read. But, the facts as stated _are_ true, or were in about 1990-- the realization that labor was so small a slice of the pie was why GM chose to build the Saturn plant in Spring Hill rather than Korea, as the opposition forces within GM wished to do. This is a major part of Saturn history, and a point that was emphasized over and over again during my hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of hours of classes. An eager researcher with more time on their hands than I have oughta be able to verify this stuff fairly easily; if we still had _real_ journalists in the USA today, someone already would have.

I _could_ send you an old pay-stub that shows my rate of pay at $28-something an hour, if I still have any lying around...

taternuts

Seasoned Expediter
Rabbit...

Could you please explain to us how the pension works?

If you are on layoff, What is the percentage of the wage are you getting???

Just curious...

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What numbers and studies say will depend on who does them. I've worked at a Ford plant and I'd question the 59 seconds of work thing. I also wonder about Germans and Japanese doing less for more.

As for productivity, there's that and then there's quality productivity. Some companies call anything that goes out the door productivity.

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
Rabbit...

Could you please explain to us how the pension works?

If you are on layoff, What is the percentage of the wage are you getting???

Just curious...

I'm not currently on layoff; I'm on disability from my motorbike accident, getting about 60% pay. It starts out a little higher than 60%; I forget exactly and my most recent experience is hazy due to the happy-pills I sometimes was taking. I think it's something like 80% for something like the first 90 days, but please don't quote me.

As to layoff...

We don't get laid off nearly so often as people seem to think, or at least we didn't used to-- times are indeed changing, though, and for the worse. When a layoff _does_ occur, one's benefits are in proportion to one's seniority. I'm told the system has changed a little recently, but I presume it's still very similar to the one in effect a few years back, which was when I learned the details. GM pays something called "Supplemental Unemployment Benefits" (SUB) for as long as the beneficiary is eligible for state unemployment, to a complicated formula that reads something like "85% of base wages (including the state check), not including shift premium and minus $35 a week". Again, don't quote me but I'm reasonably close-- NO ONE can carry all of this around in their head. When I was a young man, something called "SUB credits" were accumulated by workers at the rate of about one per check, and monies amounting to a fixed (but low) percentage of wages were paid into an account called the "SUB Fund" to cover layoffs. Workers couldn't accumulate any credits until they had (I think) two years of service and could never accumulate more than 52 of them. Then they automatically were granted 52 at five years but couldn't accumulate more than 104 until they had ten years, etc. Then, every week that there were eligible laid-off GM workers entitled to be paid, the available funds were divvied up via a complex formula unknown to me so that a varying amount of credits were charged per week of collected unemployment benefits. I once had to pay ten credits for a week's SUB pay. (I believe that was the upper limit.) Above twenty years, SUB was no longer a factor, and the worker was guaranteed SUB indefinitely, so long as his unemployment pay lasted. When it ran out, he indefinitely drew what's called "GIS", or "Guaranteed Income Stream", which was a fairly modest sum. I'll note here that the rationale behind all of this was that high-seniority workers would only rarely be laid off, and that a large percentage of employees at any given time would have five years or less, in which case during periods of heavy layoff, when ten credits were drawn, were getting only five weeks of benefits. One of GM's core problems is that because they've contracted so much, there _ARE NO YOUNG PEOPLE_ in the plants. That not only makes programs like these far more difficult to sustain, but means that people on the harder jobs are getting hurt much more often and spending too much time on sick-leave. There used to be many "easy" jobs in the plants for the older and injured workers, such as janitorial jobs. Nowadays these have all-- via UAW concessions dating back at least to 1995 or so-- been contracted out, so that except for a small handful of "gravy" jobs-- one of which I'll admit I usually hold, for various reasons-- there is the line and _only_ the line right up until the day we retire.

As to retirement...

The issue is so complex that I could almost write a book on it. There are different rules for UAW foundries, for example, due to recognized health risks that come from working there. Everything I say, another worker might be able to rightly contradict for a special case. Besides, I'm no expert on the subject; it's one that's never been of much of interest to me because the rules keep changing so quickly that up until recently I knew that I'd have to relearn it all again before it mattered to me personally anyway. That said...

The basic reality behind the UAW retirement program is that building cars is an athletic, energetic undertaking that is ill-suited to older bodies. Foreign auto manufacturers in the USA haven't had to deal with this yet, because their US presence hasn't gone on long enough to generate older workers with thirty years of accumulated minor stress injuries. But, GM (and I presume the rest of the Big Three) have come to recognize that there's not much point to whipping a dead horse-- most workers can't physically hack line-work past about age fifty or so without a very serious risk of doing themselves the kind of permanent damage that the trial lawyer's association loves best. Since in recent years the "soft" job for older workers have gone away, the problem has grown markedly worse. The solution is what's called "Thirty and Out", meaning that after thirty years of service you're free to retire and be paid a pension equal to I don't honestly know what percentage of one's pay, though I suspect it's about seventy percent, up until age 62. At that point the amount is reduced in compensation for social security kicking in. GM also pays retiree health insurance until they're Medicare-eligible; I know it's a somewhat reduced plan compared to an active worker, but even though I know it's important to this discussion I don't know exactly how much it's reduced. After Medicare kicks in, to my very limited knowledge I don't know if there's still any benefits or not. I'm frankly still a long way from there, and don't expect the rules to be anything like what they are today by then anyway. So, why should I sweat it?

One thing that's also gotten a lot of attention lately are the "buy-outs", which again are grossly misreported. Yes, GM has indeed offered me, like all other workers with over ten years, something like (I forget the exact figure, since I wasn't interested) $50k to quit. But there's a lot more to that then the reporters bother to bring out. That $50k severs all of GM's retirement obligations to the worker, up until he hits (I believe) 65. Then they'll pay him an amount based only on the years worked, which sounds a helluva lot better than it is when you realize that the amounts paid per month skyrocket near the end of the thirty-years-of-service curve. In other words, fifteen years doesn't get you half of what thirty years of service does. Rather, if memory serves (and I admit being _very_ fuzzy on this) it's more like a quarter. Maybe even less. Plus, you find yourself out of work and middle aged, with "former lazy union worker" stamped on your forehead. No one's gonna hire you, unless you're very lucky indeed. This, in fact, is precisely why I'm here looking at expediting. Realistically, I'm going to have to hire myself.

Other buyouts don't pay anything; rather, a worker accepts what amounts to a long layoff at the end of his working career, leaving early so that another worker can have his job. (I desperately want one of these, but am just short of having enough years of service. Maybe next year, if they offer them again...) We at the plant have spent a lot of time debating the merits of these deals from GM's point of view, and frankly I at least have never heard a good argument as to how they benefit the company. Yet it's invariably the company who comes to the UAW begging for the chance to offer more of them, so there must be some kind of hidden carrot in there for them somewhere. When eventually they _do_ hire new workers, it'll be at roughly $10 less an hour actual pay than we currently get, and I don't know how much reduction in benefits. Maybe they're looking to _those_ savings? We on the floor honestly don't know. All I'm certain of is that I want one.

In addition to this pension, UAW members may if they choose establish an IRA/Keough/whatevertheheckitis. The wise ones do. During a few brief intermittent periods of my career, matching funds were offered, most of them a percent or two payable in GM stock only. I sold the stuff as I received it, and have been very glad of this lately. (I've seen the bankruptcy coming since 1995, and have planned accordingly. It's just a few years early by my reckoning is all, due to the unexpected depth of the general crisis.)

Anyway... If this isn't the longest post in EO history, I'll be surprised. So, I'll shut up now. If I can explain anything further for you, I'll be glad to do so to the best of my ability. I'm very sorry and saddened that my company is begging the American people for funds, and even though (I repeat!) I'm against the loans, I do feel an obligation to inform anyone who asks me anything when I can, since I suspect you're all about to become stockholders.

Again, I'm deeply ashamed that this has happened. But, not in the least surprised. Management has been pursuing suicidally stupid policies for all of the 23.5 years I've been with the General. My only hope, which I don't really believe in, is that maybe they've finally learned a little something about the real meaning of quality, the importance of communicating with each other, and above all the total futility of "one size fits all" management.

taternuts

Seasoned Expediter
whew... I actually read all of Rabbits post... LOL....

Anyways, It sounds to me that working for the UAW you have it real good, Really really good....

I think that every hard working citizen has tried or work for someone in the auto industry... After all, all the benefits that they offer, who wouldnt want too...

But how did one get all the benefits?

I believe the union did...

Thirty and out... Sounds like a helluva deal... Start at 20, retire at 50... Sounds almost too good to be true...

But... At what costs?

I dont know if Toyota or Honda offers that kind of benefit plan...

Building cars is hard work... Labor intensive... I know all about that....

But what about all the people that never worked for GM, FORD or CHRYSLER...

They work hard... There are probably other labor intesive jobs where people actually have to pay for there own retirement...

The benefits where I work is 80/20 with a $1000.00 (thousand) deductible per year... And even for some perscriptions, I have to pay ALOT out of pocket (brand name, no generic avaliable... Symbicort Inhaler for example is $80 buck out of pocket for a 30 day supply)... All on a very very median salary... I work hard and try to excell at what I do... I've learned early that is how you hold a job, and if you want to make it anywhere in a Company, then you need to prove yourself to employers... No contract where i worked, and never for union shop.

I've been on both sides of the fence... I've worked beside several lazy people in my day... (I'd say 60% I would consider lazy, and have a poor work ethic), where people deserved to be fired, they just moved onto the next job..., I've also worked in management at the same company (got there by proving myself, working hard, not by education), and fired people just for excessivly calling off, not working hard, making warranty claims for the Company, etc. People that deserved to be fired, but if it was a union shop, I probably couldn't fire them for fear of reprecussions from the union...

The economy sucks right now, and as working as a mechanic now at TA, I have minimal fear of loosing my job... I never call off, Im always there early, and always give 100% each day that I am there. In my free time, I take it upon myself to educate myself on new technologys avaliable and repair proceures... I've worked there about 1 1/2 years, Never had even one warranty claim, and already a manager in training, going past people that have worked there 10-12 years more then me...

Im not trying to boast or brag... If I had the opportunity to work for the big three, I probably would (years ago, not in these tough economic times) I just feel that there are lazy people there too, People that take advantage of the UAW and all there contracts...

What im just trying to say is your lucky to get this type of treatment, especially for working where you did.

Who is asking for a bailout and what do those three have in common? UAW

I think the folks that work for these people are being over-compensated for what they do... Afterall, the Company that I work for and the past Companys that I Worked for are not seeknig a bailout from congress...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A former brother in law worked for GM in OKC. One day he took me to the plant. We walked over 3 miles following the line. He pointed out tons of interesting stuff. One thing was the off line jobs putting together wheels/tires, steering columns etc. that were then sent to rendezvous with the line at the appropriate time and place. It was interesting to note that a guy would get a sheet listing about 8 dozen steering columns as far as wheel type, cruise, tilt status etc. to assemble. He'd put them together per the sheet and hang them on hooks that would take them to the car they went into. When the list was complete he was finished for the day. He wouldn't even stop for the bathroom. He averaged about 4.5 hours per day to make his list. When they were done he was through and got to go home. He got paid for 8 hours per day even though he only did maybe 24 hours a week truly there.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
I agree its both sides fault. My father was a union rep. at the Melble Iron plant in saginaw and my Grandfather on my mothers side was a GM exec.

Ohhhh the family get togethers we used to have. They would sit and argue over crap that you would not believe. It made it to when I was 18, back in '82, had a chance to work for GM and could have gone to GMI but rebelled because of the hatred I had formed due to all the arguing.

In my humble opinion the UAW asked for the stars and GM gave them the moon.

I will give you an example of something that sticks in my mind to this day. The story goes like this..... Say someone on the line needed something plugged in. The employee could not touch it. They had to call an electrician to plug it in. IF they did, they were written up even if it meant sitting for say 6 hours until an electrician could plug it in.

To me that was bull **** on both ends. The mgt. allowed a contract like this to be signed knowing that it would slow down production which would cost money and the union did it in their eyes was "protecting" jobs and the employee could careless cause he was still getting paid his hourly rate for doing NOTHING.

The union was smart in the fact that it seems like they only really renegotiate their contracts when things are good and won't say a word when things aren't so good. But things CAN'T stay good forever and they won't cut anything willingly on their own to help out.

Everyone knows that the best jobs to get is one of two places. Either with the big 3 or with the government. Theres a reason for this.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Leo: the point you mentioned is no different than when you are given time to complete a run based upon 45 mph, which you can easily accomplish in less time, MOST of the time. The standards need to take into account the fact that unforeseen delays can and do hold things up. Also, a new employee won't be as fast as an experienced one, and won't accomplish the same speed.
The standards exist because management demands them, not because the workers want them. Of course they're going to finish early, if they can, and want to - same as you & I can arrive early for a delivery.

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
A former brother in law worked for GM in OKC. One day he took me to the plant. We walked over 3 miles following the line. He pointed out tons of interesting stuff. One thing was the off line jobs putting together wheels/tires, steering columns etc. that were then sent to rendezvous with the line at the appropriate time and place. It was interesting to note that a guy would get a sheet listing about 8 dozen steering columns as far as wheel type, cruise, tilt status etc. to assemble. He'd put them together per the sheet and hang them on hooks that would take them to the car they went into. When the list was complete he was finished for the day. He wouldn't even stop for the bathroom. He averaged about 4.5 hours per day to make his list. When they were done he was through and got to go home. He got paid for 8 hours per day even though he only did maybe 24 hours a week truly there.

That was a lot of years and many, many concessionary contracts ago.

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
whew... I actually read all of Rabbits post... LOL....

Anyways, It sounds to me that working for the UAW you have it real good, Really really good....

I think that every hard working citizen has tried or work for someone in the auto industry... After all, all the benefits that they offer, who wouldnt want too...

But how did one get all the benefits?

I believe the union did...

Thirty and out... Sounds like a helluva deal... Start at 20, retire at 50... Sounds almost too good to be true...

But... At what costs?

I dont know if Toyota or Honda offers that kind of benefit plan...

Building cars is hard work... Labor intensive... I know all about that....

But what about all the people that never worked for GM, FORD or CHRYSLER...

They work hard... There are probably other labor intesive jobs where people actually have to pay for there own retirement...

The benefits where I work is 80/20 with a $1000.00 (thousand) deductible per year... And even for some perscriptions, I have to pay ALOT out of pocket (brand name, no generic avaliable... Symbicort Inhaler for example is $80 buck out of pocket for a 30 day supply)... All on a very very median salary... I work hard and try to excell at what I do... I've learned early that is how you hold a job, and if you want to make it anywhere in a Company, then you need to prove yourself to employers... No contract where i worked, and never for union shop.

I've been on both sides of the fence... I've worked beside several lazy people in my day... (I'd say 60% I would consider lazy, and have a poor work ethic), where people deserved to be fired, they just moved onto the next job..., I've also worked in management at the same company (got there by proving myself, working hard, not by education), and fired people just for excessivly calling off, not working hard, making warranty claims for the Company, etc. People that deserved to be fired, but if it was a union shop, I probably couldn't fire them for fear of reprecussions from the union...

The economy sucks right now, and as working as a mechanic now at TA, I have minimal fear of loosing my job... I never call off, Im always there early, and always give 100% each day that I am there. In my free time, I take it upon myself to educate myself on new technologys avaliable and repair proceures... I've worked there about 1 1/2 years, Never had even one warranty claim, and already a manager in training, going past people that have worked there 10-12 years more then me...

Im not trying to boast or brag... If I had the opportunity to work for the big three, I probably would (years ago, not in these tough economic times) I just feel that there are lazy people there too, People that take advantage of the UAW and all there contracts...

What im just trying to say is your lucky to get this type of treatment, especially for working where you did.

Who is asking for a bailout and what do those three have in common? UAW

I think the folks that work for these people are being over-compensated for what they do... Afterall, the Company that I work for and the past Companys that I Worked for are not seeknig a bailout from congress...

I won't argue with a single point you've made here, save one. Yes, I've got a good deal-- it's why I work there, and I'll unashamedly admit I'm also looking for the best deal possible in my next job. (Again, that's why I'm here.) Yes, the lazy people that you find everywhere take advantage of the UAW-- it's one of the flaws in the system that drives me nuts some days. And I'll even grant you that the UAW _is_ something that all three companies have in common. All I would also point out is that they have a lot of other things in common as well, like outmoded plants sitting on old sites and a huge up-front cost burden for tooling and such that doesn't go away when car sales drop 30 or more percent (as they have this month for the Japanese carmakers as well as the American).

Rabbit

Expert Expediter
I will give you an example of something that sticks in my mind to this day. The story goes like this..... Say someone on the line needed something plugged in. The employee could not touch it. They had to call an electrician to plug it in. IF they did, they were written up even if it meant sitting for say 6 hours until an electrician could plug it in.

Yep, I know _exactly_ what you're talking about. And how frustrating the whole thing was for _everyone_.

This situation-- which, thank god, was finally resolved on most plants (I've heard) in the last contract, and was resolved in mine in mine prior to its 1990 opening, is the result of too many rules conflicting with each other and with common sense. The situation you're describing is analagous to this: A cop and his neighbor (the UAW and management) have a fight over something, and bear a grudge. One day the neighbor is sitting in traffic and an ambulance comes along, within sight of the cop. The neighbor squeezes over to the right to let the ambulance pass, even though the hole is very tight and he can just barely do so with sweat popping out his forehead and millimeters to spare. The cop then promptly pulls him over and writes him a ticket for forgetting to signal his lane change, and the the neighbor then promptly countersues for police harassment and wins a ridiculously-huge ten-bajillion dollar settlement from the city, becoming rich for life over a silly traffic ticket.

Now assume this pair for the next ten years is forced to share a Thanksgiving table. The cop will swear for the rest of his born days that civilization will end if he doesn't have the right to enforce the laws as they're written, and that the award was downright ridiculous, a stupid burden to the taxpayers. The neighbor will counter that the police officer had clearly violated the unwritten rules of common sense, and that if penalties aren't exacted the police will soon have all the power. Families would be forced to listen to this over and over again for the rest of their lives, until everyone hated both of them.

Life in a factory is at least as complicated as it is everywhere else, and not everything fits into the neat little boxes we'd all like for them to. Situations like that of the light-plug arose from extending important and legitimate (on _both_ sides!) principles far beyond the limits of common sense, usually complicated by anger or frustration. Shop rules, like the law, can and never will be perfect. As I said earlier, thank god we finally have that one under control-- I think. Fortunately, I don't know of many other Catch-22's as ridiculous as that one was, and even fewer that still remain in place. There _are_ one or two, though, that I'd change if I could.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cheri, the point wasn't that they finish early. The point was they race to completion with no thought to QC, just to finishing. At that point they get to go to their car and go home while still being paid. It wasn't punch in and out on the time clock and get paid for time worked. It was get paid for 40 hours per week regardless of how many less were actually worked.

Rabbit, yes, it was quite a while back although I didn't mention any timeframe so it could have been 2-3 years ago for that matter. Maybe they've quit letting them do that. I don't know. A friend of mine from a prior job told about his sister who worked at a plant for one of the big 3. I forget which one. She had 24 years in and her job was to sit on a stool using a stopwatch and marking things on a form on a clipboard. She did this for 8 hours 5 days a week. Her compensation package was $42 per hour. That included insurance, retirement etc. so her paycheck actually figured on something like $22-23 an hour. That was in the late 1980's. Even today $42 per hour is a lot of money but 20 years ago it was crazy big money.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is a good example of comparing and contrasting employment situations that pay by the job as opposed to being paid by the hour. Auto assembly UAW workers are paid by the hour - that means in order to maximize their efficiency they need to produce for the full eight hours, even if it is at an inflated rate. When they finish an assigned job and are allowed to go home early, then they are in essence being paid for doing nothing for several hours. On the other hand, expedite drivers are paid a fixed amount for a shipment regardless of the time it takes. It's no wonder the Big 3 are on the verge of going down for the count. Their executives' mismanagement, combined with the suffocating UAW drain of resources will put Chevys and Chryslers in the auto museums right beside Studebakers and Packards.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Everyone wants to blame the UAW hourly worker, but nobody mentions the excesses the auto salary workers get. We were top heavy with management. I had a foreman who had a general foreman who had a maintenance superintendent, who had somebody else, who had a Superintendent of Maintenance. I was once promoted to foreman for a couple years. My salary was 25% above my guys. I assume the general foreman and up were compensated accordingly. MUCH better fringes on salary. I had co paid life insurance so large I didn't tell my wife for fear she would put out a contract on me. Also, on salary, when you reached a certain level you got a PEP car. Can't remember what PEP stands for, but basically it was the use of a NEW company car every THREE months. I remember, PEP means Product Evaluation Program. It was a way for the employees to "evaluate" the car. That was a way around the employees having to pay taxes on a company fringe. Salary had much better sick pay and pensions. They had a stock plan whereby a salary employee would put so much in bonds each pay day and so much in stock, and the stock was matched dollar for dollar. When you lay down a dollar and someone lays another dollar next to it, isn't that like 100% interest on your investment. Anyway, the hourly guys weren't the only one's bellied up to the trough.

jrgibbs1

Seasoned Expediter
I think they should scale the unions back a little, or at least operate them like they do here in florida, pretty much useless, the only benift here is slightly higher pay and a meal ticket after 8 hours of work. They should pay the workers on a performance scale and stock options, produce a better product and more of it, the worker makes more money