Is the multi-carrier business model worth it?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wanted to share a few of my thoughts on the subject of running for multiple carriers. I have recently been dropped by one of my multi-carrier companies and it has caused me to re-evaluate the entire business model. As you all know I have a driver in my van. For reasons that I cannot mention on this forum my driver can't drive for a lot of the bigger more established carriers. I have decided to keep my driver despite this fact so that he can earn a living and provide for his family. For personal and moral reasons I have decided to accommodate him in his situation and he will always have a van to drive no matter what happens.

It is for that reason that I decided to leave my current van in the multi-carrier model. I also decided to leave the van in the multi-carrier model because I have recently started a new company (which shall always remain anonymous on EO). But if I do decide to come back out on the road I'm not going to use the multi-carrier business model any longer. I'm going to lease my new van on with Bolt Express or Panther Expedited Services.

As I stated earlier my driver was dropped from one of our carriers because he went out of service for 10 days and apparently this carrier didn't like it. So here is my problem. I pay 300 dollars a month for primary liability and cargo insurance. I'm supposed to be an independent contractor. Yet some of the smaller companies complain when my truck takes too much time off, or when my driver turns down a load. Why should I be forced to stay in service or to take loads when I'm the one paying for the primary liability and cargo insurance?

Also some of the carriers that I partner up with only pay .85 cents per loaded mile. You mean to tell me that I have to pay 300 dollars a month for insurance so that I can make less money than a driver that is leased on to a company that pays a decent linehaul rate with a fuel surcharge? Then on top of that I have to keep up with 4 dispatchers, and 4 different truck numbers, all while taking a chance that one of the smaller operations can go belly up at any time. It just doesn't seem to be a logical way to earn money. Sure you have more eyes on the load boards, but from what I've seen I can do better with one solid company as opposed to 4 smaller companies.

I'm not bashing smaller companies. I was a small company and I'm going to be a small company again. Also renegade drivers who want to lease on with multiple carriers are always going to be a part of this industry. I'm just re-thinking the entire game at this point. Don't get me wrong I'm quite satisfied with the three companies that my van is leased on with right now. I'm just trying to point out the cons of doing business with multiple carriers.

I also dispatch for one of four companies and I'm able to get my van loads. I get to keep 100 percent of the profit when I book a load for my van; and I trust this company because it's owned by a very good friend of mine who pays me the same day the load is delivered. It doesn't get any better than that! But when I'm bidding a buck a mile for loads (carrier rate) and I can't win the bid "it's pretty bad." In light of this I sometimes think that my driver would make better money working for a larger carrier that has a solid customer base.

With the multi-carrier model what happens if every company decides to drop you for no reason? At least at the bigger companies you have to really do something bad to have your contract terminated. With the smaller companies (being a true independent contractor) you can be terminated on a whim. You can make the owner of the company mad one day and simply be terminated for no valid reason, and there is little to no recourse when this happens. You are also not guaranteed to be paid on time! To tell you the truth it scares me to death how some of the smaller carriers are so undercapitalized that one or two chargebacks from their factoring company can cause them to go under.

But then again that is the risk we take when we push the (i'm an independent contractor) mantra all the way to the multi-carrier extreme. There will be those that justify paying for higher insurance rates only to get loads at sub-single carrier rates. There will also be those who bash me for turning my back on the multi-carrier model in favor of stability. But that will not answer the single biggest question of all! Why would anyone want to pay such high rates for insurance simply to make .85 cents per loaded mile? It seems to be quite counter-productive to me.

Also now that Progressive is raising their commecrial insurance rates, and a lot of the other insurance companies that I've contacted are unwilling to underwrite new expedite companies, what options do we have left? It's only a matter of time before the additonal expense of Primary liability and Cargo insurance will outweigh the benefits of working for multiple carriers. Progressive is the only insurance company that will write me a new policy and they have jacked up their rates due to taking massive losses over the past couple of years. If Progressive leaves the commercial insurance market where will all of the multi-carrier companies and multi-carrier drivers be? That is the question that I propose to the EO community! Will the multi-carrier model stand the test of time, or will the single-carrier model rule the day?

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Great post. I have been asking the same question a lot lately. I have found several in favor of it that have been able to articulate and document the Pro side but you are the first to articulate the Con side so well.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive run leased, multi-carrier and totaly independant, they all have thier pros and cons. The pros with being leased to a large carrier is you have access to discounts, services and somtimes get a better prcing fuel, parts and repairs. However if your stuck you cant take other work, you have to stay there untill they say move.

I was leased to a company that had me moving thier spec-com, and downstate loads into N.Y.C., and although the contract said exclusive we had a gentelmans agreement that if work was slow, I was stuck, and I had work offered to me that I could take it as long as it was not thier customer, the product I moved was different, They moved C.N.C. machines and robotics so general freight was acceptable. And they had first right to the truck, in other words they stayed at the top of my list, and if they called i dropped what I was doing and worked. Not everyone will do this but I recomend anyone planing to lease on with a company to have this as an emergency tool.

Bob Wolf.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
If you already paying for all your insurance why not get operating authority and partner carrier with 4 or 5 of the bigger carriers. Instead of running for a carrier, be one yourself.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If you already paying for all your insurance why not get operating authority and partner carrier with 4 or 5 of the bigger carriers. Instead of running for a carrier, be one yourself.

Already done. But from some of the rates I'm seeing, not even being the carrier will get you a dollar a mile.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Already done. But from some of the rates I'm seeing, not even being the carrier will get you a dollar a mile.

I remember last you posting you were were happy at .15-.20 on the dollar in business because your overhead was low...you even said that .85 - .90 was quite acceptable....I'll tell ya no one can support a family, hope for a college fund, on .85 cents alone....
some carriers now have exactly what they wanted...low rates...

kurtkaoss

Active Expediter
I am a partner in a small expediting company (One straight truck and one Sprinter for now). My partners drive for one company in the ST, and I for another. I started out with the same carrier as they did; told a bunch of pipe dreams about Sprinter and CV freight. After one month (Now mind you, this was November), I ran 963 loaded miles...for the month. Unhappy and frustrated, I started doing some research, and talking to some drivers, and I moved to a different carrier. Their rates are a bit lower, but I ran 3000 mile in the last 2 weeks. Great for a Sprinter in January. Point is, we were kind of reluctant to be a multi-carrier company; I guess it just depends on all different kinds of factors...it's worked out pretty good for us so far. Now when we start to expand? That could get a little hairy...LOL

guido4475

Not a Member
I don't see it. The chasing of money owed, the hope of getting paid from these carriers, the high cost of primary insurance, the calling of say 4 companies when you get a load or unload, the constant calling of check-calls, the sometimes unprofessional treatment, and, last, but not least, and the one that leaves me shaking my head, the low rates!!! I have a friend who is doing the multi-carrier thing, and my income/numbers blow his out of the water, with so much less stress! So why???? lol...

Stick with one solid, reputable carrier.Let them chase the money from the customer.Enjoy getting paid every week, on time, right on the money. Enjoy being treated like a professional. Enjoy the perks that they may offer their owner-operators if they are a class act. Enjoy life in expediting and go down the road loving what this business has to offer.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I remember last you posting you were were happy at .15-.20 on the dollar in business because your overhead was low...you even said that .85 - .90 was quite acceptable....I'll tell ya no one can support a family, hope for a college fund, on .85 cents alone....
some carriers now have exactly what they wanted...low rates...

Yeah I have low overhead and I can make money on the lower margins, but what if I still had a van payment? I think a buck a mile to the truck should be minimum rate that any driver should take. How about the guys in sprinter vans that run for .85 to .90 cents per mile. How do they make any money? It still doesn't make any sense.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah I have low overhead and I can make money on the lower margins, but what if I still had a van payment? I think a buck a mile to the truck should be minimum rate that any driver should take. How about the guys in sprinter vans that run for .85 to .90 cents per mile. How do they make any money? It still doesn't make any sense.
In my case....25 mpg really helps add to the lower rate....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Stop bragging.

441116-Royalty-Free-RF-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Cartoon-Bragging-Man.jpg

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I wish I would never hear again that "I can run cheaper because I have no payment."
Act like you have one.
Bank it every month.

When I pay off my truck should I lower my rates ? I think not.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wish I would never hear again that "I can run cheaper because I have no payment."
Act like you have one.
Bank it every month.

When I pay off my truck should I lower my rates ? I think not.

No...but it does make you more competitive....you have more flexibility out there in a tough situation....it is a business advantage...don't abuse it, use it....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
keep in mind...my profit margin is not your margin....everyone has a different CPM ...profit is measured by operating costs....lower the operating costs the more one profits...

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

You may get 25 mpg in the old rig your driving but I'll compare overall operating costs any day vs. GM or Ford. And paying 75c a gallon more for fuel cuts that even more. I think you have an 07 model. I saw on here someone with a 12 model that paid $1300 for a sensor good grief.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope an 05 .... My parts are not that expensive anymore ....I see a shop about twice a year....I've had 1 alignment in 750,000 miles! Beat that ford.... Lol

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Nope an 05 .... My parts are not that expensive anymore ....I see a shop about twice a year....I've had 1 alignment in 750,000 miles! Beat that ford.... Lol

I believe you paid 12 grand for an engine. That's about 3 GM'S I think. And a 10 yr old truck, come on Ken.