Is it worth the money crossing into CANADA?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess it would depend on what you are driving and what rate you are getting.
When i was driving, my owner and I decided to avoid Canada.

Reactions: Treadmill

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Haven't done it. My understanding is that the paperwork must be perfect and even then there are delays and "attitude" at the border crossing. If you are dealing with a carrier that books border loads every day, then should be OK. Otherwise, avoid.

Sent from my moto z3 using EO Forums mobile app

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
For me Canada is very lucrative. High rates and also get out of an area faster because I bypass all those that think it is not worth it.

Paperwork is not really an issue, extra 5 min of work per load if that. 90% of the time crossing the border is issue free.

Moons ago I remember picking up somewhere in Wisconsin and the load was gooing to Windsor, but I dropped it in Taylor. Wasn't Fast approved so couldn't cross it myself. I gave up about $300 for someone else to drive it 30 miles or so. Needless to say, I got Fast approved as fast as I could after that. Why leave money on the table?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just like any other load, make it worth the trip.
I handled shipments north of the border from 2012 to somewhere between 2015-2016. So take this with a grain of salt, the info may be outdated.
I agree with FlyingVan ... Canadian loads can be profitable and a nice break from the norm.
Paperwork shouldn't be an issue becasue it's not like eons ago where you show up at the border unannounced with a shipment & a handful of paperwork. My shipments were always pre-cleared in their system before I arrived. Making the border crossing a simple formality, similar to border patrol checkpoints we all pass through along the southern border. Have there been times when it's gone beyond that and turned into a hornets nest? Yep, a very small percentage. Border/customs official have their job to do. It's just part of the program.

It also depends how you're looking at these loads. Are you an owner/op or a driver? What kind of vehicle? I assume your carrier has Canadian authority, what is their experience?

Reactions: FlyingVan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It depends on your carrier. I let my FAST card expire. Panther at one time added a $90 border crossing bonus. I was tempted, but after a brief heated debate with myself, I decided against it. I do miss running Winnipeg. With my first carrier if I wasn't loaded the next day I got paid to move to Minneapolis. I live there so it worked for me.

If you are undecided about running Canada, get your FAST card and try it for a year. If it works for you, stay with it. If it doesn't, exit stage south.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
what I did, after 911, I would ask where is nearest Canadian unit was and transfer to them. so helped them out and me to.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just remember also, if you are in a van the logbook rules kick in at 9920 lbs (metric conversion) and if you are in anything larger your truck must be speed limited to 65mph (and they plug in and check that at the scales). It's a free service (snort) paid for by the fuel taxes you will pay on your IFTA filing (41.3 cents/gal).

Also be prepared to be treated fairly miserably by US CBP. They have a job to do and aren't real pleasant about it. For reasons I have never figured out, you get treated like crap by your own countries border people. I'm Canadian and don't regularly get attitude from the US officers but get it frequently from my own coming home.

TLDR......no...it's not worth it.

Warrior

New Recruit
Fleet Manager
Depending if they pay well, and who you run for. I can only speak from a FedEx point of view. Its very easy to get across and back because FedEx has all the brokerage paperwork already done on the load before we even pick it up, so the worst part is traffic coming back into the states. Also, if you are delivering, negotiate a relocation back to the states in the northeast or Detroit as part of the deal as if you do not already have a back haul, waiting in Canada for one could make the load not worth taking. I hope this helps.

Reactions: Moot

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes but the border patrol can be dicks on both sides of the border and it takes time and they ask dumb questions to people that are highly professional and experienced and just trying to do their job and move freight and earn a honest living. They will pick you apart until they feel better about themselves and degrade the general population, but sometimes it goes smooth and you get some decent people that don't waist your time. Canadians don't want guns coming in and they don't want you to move there but you're free to roam as long as you don't stay long term and remember to empty out your lemonade jugs :)

Last edited:

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sure, guards can be and some are a real pain in the behind, but after all is said and done I am the one laughing. While I made good money for going through all that, now I enjoy seeing different thing while he is still stuck in that booth.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

indycolts

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have found Canada to be enjoyable to deliver into and also picking up and bringing back to states. Probably because transport group I contracted with does excellent job with required paperwork for import/ export. Also if you want to avoid pissing off CBP just little things like signing up for CBP DTOPS and having border crossing fees done online saves yourself and CBP a little aggravation.

Reactions: Grizzly