Is it that slow?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I've been in service since Thursday with no load and now they are saying more than likely Monday. I mean hell I was at home and told to leave and go to St. Louis just to sit til Monday! Don't think I have much more of this in me.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've been in service since Thursday with no load and now they are saying more than likely Monday. I mean hell I was at home and told to leave and go to St. Louis just to sit til Monday! Don't think I have much more of this in me.

Monday is a Federal Holiday.Things are often slow around holidays, even minor ones. I am not understanding. You DH to St. Louis without a load? :confused: How far was the DH?

Deville

Not a Member

They told you to leave home & you did? Live & learn man.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I was told to authorize move at 18:30 Friday. My FM told me if they authorize a move to a better area I have to take it. Now here I sit, no load, 200 miles from home and according to dispatch everything is covered to Monday.

Just trying to figure out why they would call and tell me to go here knowing darn well I will sit 3 days when I could have stayed at the house and not spent money eating out.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I was told to authorize move at 18:30 Friday. My FM told me if they authorize a move to a better area I have to take it.

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Leave your house on a friday evening with no load assigned, and you have to do it??

That wouldn't fly with me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I NEVER leave home unless I have a load. It takes MORE per mile on a load leaving than it does when headed home. I also limit my DH on loads leaving home, UNLESS, it is a 'special' load. I also don't long DH FOR loads if there is a chance that load may cancel and the area is not a good freight area.

IF they were to try this with me I would "Just say no" and spend the next hour or two laughing until I cried. I always get a kick out of really stupid offers.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who told you that you HAD to make this move? I can't imagine FDCC saying that. They have not done anything close to this in our 7.5 years we have with them. Are you an O/O or do you drive for an owner?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
BigCat has got to figure out that when dispatch comes up with plans or ideas that make absolutely no sense, then you just have to say NO.

And they are wrong when they tell you that you have to do anything (except drug tests of course).

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He said his Fleet Manager said he had to do it.
My guess is that was someone at ES. The question he should have asked,since he was home,was "Do they need me there today or Monday ?"

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
When we were on flat rate we never left home until dispatched. And we live in Florida.
I definetly would not have DH'ed 200 miles on a Thursday or Friday without a load. Especially before a 3 day weekend.
On percentage we would have waited until Monday evening and then if not dispatched DH'ed to Atlanta.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
He said his Fleet Manager said he had to do it.
My guess is that was someone at ES. The question he should have asked,since he was home,was "Do they need me there today or Monday ?"

Sounds like ES has way too much control over it's drivers.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Sounds like ES has way too much control over it's drivers.

In our experience, ES is very "hands off." We've been with them for 14 months now, and have never been told we have to move anywhere. We are not in a surface truck, so that might be the difference.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I was told to authorize move at 18:30 Friday. My FM told me if they authorize a move to a better area I have to take it. Now here I sit, no load, 200 miles from home and according to dispatch everything is covered to Monday.

Just trying to figure out why they would call and tell me to go here knowing darn well I will sit 3 days when I could have stayed at the house and not spent money eating out.

I have heard the term FM about fleet managers assigned to flat rate trucks and not to Expedite Services. I can be wrong as I am not that familiar with the flat rate program but I have heard that term.

I wonder if you were offered a relocate option?

Layoutshooter this guy is probably not a reefer and he will get negative points in DVA for being to far from an Express Center. I am guessing he has more competition then you and he needs to be closer to an Express Center to get a load.

BigCat are you a solo or a team? That will also change how the load offers come in. By getting closer to an Express Center on the weekend and getting your ten hour break you will be available to run on Monday. If a team this is not such a big problem.

Last edited:

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
In our experience, ES is very "hands off." We've been with them for 14 months now, and have never been told we have to move anywhere. We are not in a surface truck, so that might be the difference.

We are in a surface truck for ES. We have been with ES for almost 2 years and they are "hands off" with us as well. The only times we have been told its OK to move is; 1) when we call in to ES and ask for their opinion, which they will give and 2) if we have been sitting for more than 24 hours and we call in to ES and ask if we can relocate to a better area. ES has never called us and told us we have to move, relocate or come out of home time and DH anywhere. Fortunately for us, our service center is 18 miles from our home and we sit there until dispatch offers us a load and we accept it. From our experience, in a white glove truck (which we have been in as well, like surface freight better), it was rare to relocate because the W/G truck can haul either WG or surface freight and we noticed that in several areas W/G trucks were moving out faster than the surface trucks. W just prefer surface freight, so we moved back into a surface truck.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Solo ATM waiting on FedEx to get my co driver qualified. They are pretty hands off as well with me. They give advice when I need it. Possibly I just heard wrong when on the phone.

Could be my fault and I could be to blame that's just why I was wondering if it made sense to you guys.

I'm not blaming ES just got the feeling after getting too far from home maybe I should have sat at the house.

It's Monday I got 11/14 and 65 of my 70 so maybe they will get me loaded.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
Sitting at the Love's south of Louisville. Just found out it is a holiday today and could explain why we havent been offered a load yet. Several trucks here across the board; b,c,d,e, several!! I didnt take it that ES was being blamed for the move, we have done that a few times as well!! :) We use to come back in to service and go to the T/A in Nashville and sit for a couple days waitin for a load, 18 miles from home til we spoke with ES about that and they said "You can sit at the truck stop if you want, but you can sit at home just as easy and still get the ame load opps." So now, we sit at home unless Louisville or Memphis has more load opps coming out of them, then we ask ES if we can go to one of those service centers. We have all our hours because we have been here since friday. Hopefully something will come out today, but if not, we know for sure something will tomorrow. Even though we have been here since friday, this is a good service center to be in and dont plan on moving yet, which contradicts the 24 hr sitting time, but some service centers produce more miles than others, so we prefer to sit just a little longer and we, ourselves, dont count the weekend in that 24 hr sitting period, because it is a weekend. Hope you get a load soon.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We tuned down 25-30 loads today for one reason or another. FINALLY took one for tomorrow (TUES) Michigan to TN. Paid GREAT! Seemed busy to me.

Make that a Wed pickup

Last edited:

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Running Single it is what it is. Dispatch if ya hit me with a load today and dont be suprised if I just don't take it to get out of Nashville TN. Mistake made this AM. But live and learn. Nod was given. Hit me again and see what Happens.
Every day I learn somthing new. When I stop learning Ill have to find somthing else to do.

Last edited: