Is it real, or is it Memorex?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Does she, or doesn't she? What's on my XM? And what do these old and new ad questions have to do with expediting? The point of this is you have to have the facts and the answers. What was that dispatcher's name that told me x days ago something about tolls/bonus/fuel/etc.? For that matter, what did he/she tell me? Before your wheels turn get everything on the QC. They're going to pay tolls for this run when they usually don't? Get it on the QC. They're going to pay layover? Get it on the QC. They're paying hand load/unload? Get it on the QC. They have a run prebooked following this delivery? Get it on the QC. They can't very well tell you you don't get paid something when your QC shows in writing from 2 days ago that you do get paid that specific thing. They can't penalize you for being late if you went the route specified by them on the QC. Think of the QC as your own Joe Friday and get "just the facts" and all the facts.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Excellent advice. I have had payroll people go back and check QC messages because dispatch didn't list the extra pay in their notes. It would be nice if we could pull a hard copy but at least payroll can go back and check.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Excellent advice, some carriers also record all of the conversations between dispatch and the drivers. Years ago before Q/C we used a small casset recorder to record directions etc. More then once it worked to our advantage.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm tossing this back to the top in hopes more people will read it and heed it. It's a fairly simple thing but one that catches a lot of people, me included at times.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I got the new truck I put it at LEAM to test the waters. Panther is a better fit for me so I'm driving with them again. I also only need to work with one company and one set of people that way which makes things easier. The importance of getting everything on the QC didn't change when the company changed though. That's universal and an important point for newbees and anyone (just to emphasize the thread once more).

EO Forum Moderator
----------

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
A few months ago I signed on with an outfit that doesn't use thw qc. What would you suggest in this situation? They haven't stiffed us yet. I heard some people say get a dispatch buster, but if I do that do I have to tell them I'm recording the conversation? If I do tell them this do you think it might effect the aount of load offers I recieve? Any info or past experinces will be helpful. Thanks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>A few months ago I signed on with an outfit that doesn't use
>thw qc. What would you suggest in this situation? They
>haven't stiffed us yet. I heard some people say get a
>dispatch buster, but if I do that do I have to tell them I'm
>recording the conversation? If I do tell them this do you
>think it might effect the aount of load offers I recieve?
>Any info or past experinces will be helpful. Thanks.

My suggestion is this;

When they offer you a load, ask questions and write everything down. Repeat often and if something is not clear, ask. any dispatchers will play a game to get you off the phone, don't let them - it is your business to ask questions and theirs to answer them.

When ever you talk to anyone from the company get names, times and what every can prove the conversation. If you are driving, tell them you want to be safe and will call them back after you stop to ensure your safety - they really can't say not to stop at that point can they? Stopping gives you a chance to write it all down.

As for recording a call, it depends on the state if you can. Maryland you can't and I think Michigan you can't without permission.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'd be military about it, don't ask don't tell. It's often easier to get forgiveness than permission. Chances are you won't need it but if you do you have it. I'd also work up a form on my computer that has every detail that's important to the run and fill it all in. Then keep that sheet along with your POD, BOL copy etc. that you keep on every run. If you've got a history of a few dozen completed run inventory sheets to show and all match the run that's strong to support the sheet for the run in question also matches correctly.

EO Forum Moderator
----------