is expediting only use of cargo vans?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for the info everybody. I am looking for a position with a company truck. Riverside mentioned that in their ad on CL.
Straight Shot Express also has company equipment. Call or better yet go visit both companies if you live in the Cities.

It looks like a much more sensible way to try it out rather than investing in a truck of my own. Most courier jobs - actually most van jobs I've seen only want owner/operators
It certainly is more sensible to drive someone's truck to see how you like the job. The pay will be less but so will the risk and investment.

I'm also not sure what the future may be for cargo vans. One of the only articles I found was from 2003, updated in 2006, saying they were on the way out.
I've been doing the van thing for 17 years and for most of that time I've heard a dirge playing in the background but vanning ain't dead yet. Also, don't pay attention to those morons behind the Ban The Van movement. They are a small group of malcontents out to stir up trouble.

My thought was that if companies are maybe buying less inventory at a time and vans being more nimble they would have their place, but I don't have the whole story.
Your thought is correct but substitute more nimble with less expensive mode of transportation.

I would love to hear from some folks who actually do this. I hear a lot of people do, but I don't see any blogs or any references to cargo van drivers that do it more casually.If someone could comment on my assumptions in this paragraph, I would appreciate it.

I just did!

I've read there's some resentment from full timers who have to compete with part time drivers out there but I thought the type of runs I'd be interested in aren't what full time drivers want. . like to an out of the way place and having to drive empty to the next thing or wait a day or two or whatever. .

There will always be those that will resent you and feel you are competing against them for their livelihood no matter what field you work in. I personally believe its the people that will haul a load at any price just to stay afloat that hurt our industry. Whether it is vans, straights or T/T there are too many owner/ops that are on the brink of going under which contributes to low rates.

As for going to out of the way places and sitting for a few days, we all do that. Its the nature of expedite. We get to do our job when someone else failed to do their job. I love to go to out of the way places but I make sure I get extra money up front to pay my way back to civilization.

I know I don't have all of the trucking terms down yet, and I may be way off base with my thinking, so I appreciate any insights. I actually don't even know all the ins and outs of posting either .. so again I appreciate your patience!

Keep on reading and asking questions. The more specific the question, the more accurate the answer.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
wanting to be a part time driver in someone else's vehicle really narrows your choices. picture renting a house but only paying your rent part time. have you thought about delivering rv's? that is a much more leisurely industry, as is reflected in the pay.

eb

Therion

Active Expediter
I was just gonna say that. Before I got into expediting/hotshot, I did courier work. Load up at the terminal in the morning-- office supplies, liquor-- believe it or not-- and pharmaceuticals, also some hardware (like, construction hardware). Take all day unloading the van on a way-too-long route, then head either to the terminal or home depending on whether you had any returns.
I note that the company I did courier work for has an ad in Craigslist every day for vehicles of all sizes. Yeah, it's something of a revolving door over that way.

That's because courier work is a pretty crappy job. To make any money you have to work at least 10 if not 12 hours a day. And that's if you're content making $500 a week after expenses. Then not to mention you put a ton of wear and tear on your vehicle and don't have health insurance, unemployment, or anything else.

The company must be Veteran's Distribution. They troll the hell out of Craigslist. I was talking to a guy who used to drive for them and he told me what a sh*tty outfit it is. They charge the drivers $40 a week for phones when they pay $40 a month! He said several drivers got together and sued them.

Last edited:

DebraG

Rookie Expediter
sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't want to invest in a van or drive like a bat out of hell as an expediter, so I started working for PTI transporting RR crews here and there. The runs vary but the maximum round trip is about 600 miles. If I had just read the reviews online without having met with them first, I probably would have ran for my life but the Mpls location is well run and the office managers are very supportive. It's certainly not for everyone but a lot of the frustration seems to be due to the unpredictable nature of the industry. The pay's not great, but it does offer a chance to try it out albeit on a small scale without having to invest in a van first. You have to be able to pick up a van and be on your way within an hour of getting assigned a run, so if you live close enough to check in and wait at home it's a little more convenient. It's also a way to get a foothold somewhere to get something going - especially if you're starting over or just stuck. Sometimes it seems you can't get a job unless you have a job. There's a sense of community here as well since you can hang around the office while waiting for a run. There's a little kitchen and lounge area. With so many people that are homeless or without anything to anchor them, that sense of belonging can make all the difference. If you have a class d license, a clean MVR for 7 years and can pass a drug screening test, you'll will likely be hired.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This job sounds like a good way to get some experience. If you like the road, you can eventually buy a cargo van and do the expediting thing. Please keep us posted on how your new job is going. Do they pay for motels? Are they located off 694 and 100 by the Earl Brown complex?

DebraG

Rookie Expediter
that's the place! I like it so far but it is a very big change from corporate world. the training could be a bit more standardized and focus more on the radio and logging procedures, but most of it needs to be figured out as you go. the shifts are 12 hours, during which you need to be available to accept a run - anything from a longer trip that could take the entire shift to several hours getting nothing, or an hour trip, or 12 hours sitting in yard in case the crew needs you. you do get paid for wait time as part of the run but not while you're waiting to accept one. there are quite a few opportunities to help nearby branches like st paul if they're short drivers, so that helps to keep people busy.

as far as motels, the trips are generally "done in one" so there's not a lot of that, but they will put you up if you're on the road in unsafe conditions or if you're helping out a branch out of state or out of town. ive heard that's a pretty good gig - guaranteed pay and a generous per diem. .

also, to clarify my earlier post, you just need a driving history of at least 7 years, and a clean mvr for the past 3 years. I would also highly recommend it especially for women as a way to try it out in a very controlled and regulated environment. it would give you a very good idea of whether you want to pursue it or not.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
that's the place! I like it so far but it is a very big change from corporate world.
That's a good thing, right?

Thanks for reporting back. It sounds like you found the job you were originally looking for. Hope it works out. Keep us updated.