Is anyone stuck in North Dakota Weather

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah ME...but we refer to it as home....:D

Hey buffalo breath, I ran past your place Saturday afternoon. Thought you were still on the road. Had I know you were home I would have stopped by and left you my shovel.

I took 12 all the way across and up to Miles City. Unloaded in Billings Saturday night, went to sleep and then made like a hockey player and got the puck out of there!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey buffalo breath, I ran past your place Saturday afternoon. Thought you were still on the road. Had I know you were home I would have stopped by and left you my shovel.

I took 12 all the way across and up to Miles City. Unloaded in Billings Saturday night, went to sleep and then made like a hockey player and got the puck out of there!

OK Minnihaha....if ya dropped down to 20 you coulda seen the van.
In the midst of a wild blizzard this morning..Good thing ya made it out or i coulda had a house guest...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pulled over in Mobridge to consult my atlas. I pondered taking 20 and then dropping down to Bell Fourche and running 212 in. On the map that route looked like it might be shorter. I plugged it into PCmiler and it was 40 miles longer, so I stayed on 12.

This load took me right by my house where I stayed Friday night. It was scheduled to deliver Monday morning to a refinery.

Plan A was to leave late Saturday afternoon taking 94 all the way. A check of MNDOT's website showed crossing the Red at and north of Whapeton wasn't going to happen. 94 at Moorego-Farhead was down to one lane with the river expected to crest on Saturday.

Plan B was to leave late Saturday afternoon and crash at Wally World in Aberdeen. My wife is a weather geek and informed me of what was in store for eastern Montana and western South Dakota come Sunday. That set plan C into motion and me also.

Ken, when you go back into service do you drop down to I-90 and over to Albert Lea? Would you have better luck coming into Minneapolis for a load?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I pulled over in Mobridge to consult my atlas. I pondered taking 20 and then dropping down to Bell Fourche and running 212 in. On the map that route looked like it might be shorter. I plugged it into PCmiler and it was 40 miles longer, so I stayed on 12.

This load took me right by my house where I stayed Friday night. It was scheduled to deliver Monday morning to a refinery.

Plan A was to leave late Saturday afternoon taking 94 all the way. A check of MNDOT's website showed crossing the Red at and north of Whapeton wasn't going to happen. 94 at Moorego-Farhead was down to one lane with the river expected to crest on Saturday.

Plan B was to leave late Saturday afternoon and crash at Wally World in Aberdeen. My wife is a weather geek and informed me of what was in store for eastern Montana and western South Dakota come Sunday. That set plan C into motion and me also.

Ken, when you go back into service do you drop down to I-90 and over to Albert Lea? Would you have better luck coming into Minneapolis for a load?

Yes...down 73 thru Faith and Phillip...to Albert Lea most of the time...a little further but Al lea covers more customers...usually 48 hrs before load.
Lately been stopping in S Falls...covering the I29 corridor...been successful there...Its a carp shoot at best but always got loaded.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much snow do you have? I heard strong winds were coming in behind the storm.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How much snow do you have? I heard strong winds were coming in behind the storm.

The winds are here....I have trees and structures around me....am quite sure its white out conditions out on the open roads. Coming down...well sideways really hard the last couple hours...some drifts are already 5 foot plus...

Click on The Coal Springs camera 15 miles east of me...

http://safetravelusa.com/sd/#

Participating safetravel...511

http://safetravelusa.com/

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stay warm OVM!

Thanks! :)
Looking out my front window and seeing about a 7 foot drift across the walkway...And I chose to live here...*LOL*:rolleyes:

Weather service says back to back systems coming from the northwest for later this week.....ugh....:eek:

Hope you guys are watching your load acceptance before coming this way....;)

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just got a load going to Roseau, MN to Polaris. Picking up this morning in Laredo. Probably have to deliver Thursday morning. Hopefully. Hopefully. Hopefully the roads and sky will be less treacherous by the time I get to S. Dakota and N. Dakota on I-29 and then on into MN. Wish me luck.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just got a load going to Roseau, MN to Polaris. Picking up this morning in Laredo. Probably have to deliver Thursday morning. Hopefully. Hopefully. Hopefully the roads and sky will be less treacherous by the time I get to S. Dakota and N. Dakota on I-29 and then on into MN. Wish me luck.

Looks to be rain till about S.Falls then after that its a mixed bag...drive safe...good luck...

Remember in SD the law is...if there is a "travel advisory"...IF you get stuck...you will be charged with obstructing a roadway and the towing bill....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
This so aptly fits what we’re dealing with this week that I have to share it with you:

On the sixth day God turned to the Archangel Gabriel and said: "Today, I am going to create a land called Dakota. It will be a land of outstanding natural beauty; a land of beautiful lakes, each one full of fish. It shall have tall majestic pines, peacefully flowing rivers, landscapes full of buffalo, tall grass, and eagles, beautiful blue skies, forests full of deer and elk, rich farmland and fair skinned people."

God continued, "I shall make the land rich in resources so as to make the inhabitants prosper and they shall be known as a most friendly people, people who practice being nice every day."
But Lord," asked Gabriel, "don't you think you are being too generous to these Dakota people?"
"Not really," replied God "just wait and see the winters I am going to give them."
AND NOW YOU KNOW!:D