Is 5 GB enough

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
OK, this Technotard needs some advice.
I am planning to get rid of the phone and broadband card I currently use.
I plan to get a new service plan that gives me unlimited talk, text and data. I'll then add on premium data for 4G service and add on hot spot so I can connect the laptop.
My monthly fee will be about what I currently pay. I will gain unlimited talk, text and data and the ability to surf the web from my phone. I will also gain 4G where available.
But, I will lose my unlimited internet connection and will only have 5GB.
So, my question is, will 5GB be enough?

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I plan to get a new service plan that gives me unlimited talk, text and data. I'll then add on premium data for 4G service and add on hot spot so I can connect the laptop.
My monthly fee will be about what I currently pay. I will gain unlimited talk, text and data and the ability to surf the web from my phone. I will also gain 4G where available.

The company you are currently with should be able to tell you what you've used per month with the equipment you have right now, this will give you an idea of what plan you will need. Can I ask who you're with right now?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The company you are currently with should be able to tell you what you've used per month with the equipment you have right now, this will give you an idea of what plan you will need. Can I ask who you're with right now?

I have Sprint. I am using about 2-3 GB now but think I will use more as the new phone will have internet ability too.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WE only use about 2 GB per month. We DON'T do movies, music etc. The main use is banking and arguing in here.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I have Sprint. I am using about 2-3 GB now but think I will use more as the new phone will have internet ability too.

So you're staying with Sprint and changing just the equipment, hope I got that right. I'm not familiar with Sprint, can you change plans in the middle of your billing cycle? I had to do that a while back but we're with Verizon. If you can then you could keep a close eye on it and move up to more gigs if you had to....just a suggestion. You said 2 to 3 GB, do you think you'll double that number? That may give you a sense of what you need.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
WE only use about 2 GB per month. We DON'T do movies, music etc. The main use is banking and arguing in here.

Now this brings another question to mind.....will there be more than one person using this? There's two of us on ours and we use a whole lot of gigs.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Now this brings another question to mind.....will there be more than one person using this? There's two of us on ours and we use a whole lot of gigs.

No, it should only be one person using it as we are also getting a phone from Straight Talk that has unlimited data, text and web. $45 a month and the cost of the phone.

My broadband card plan expires on 10/24. My phone can be upgraded with a new 2 year service plan and $150 discount on the phone at anytime.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

WE are with Verison. WE both use the same account. In fact, there are THREE phones on our account. My Dad is on the same account. The ONLY time we ever went over 5GB is when Mrs. Layoutshooter forgot to turn off Carbonite and it dumped 50 GB of "stuff" at once.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

I have 5gb with Verizon and I'm on it now with a laptop and a hotspot. If you don't use it with TV you will have plenty. I use about 3gb a month and I'm on it several hours a day.

Last edited:

lugnut1

Seasoned Expediter

If your new service is soon to be with Sprint; look very carefully at their data plan, “unlimited on their network” now look at their coverage map and take note of the areas that are roaming, hence not on their network.

Sprint needs to spend billions in fixing their wireless system. If you travel the highways of America; Verizon is still the better choice, though not cheap.

5g is ok, but you’re giving up unlimited wireless for unlimited talk? Have you looked into using Skype with the unlimited wireless card to gain the talk time you want?

You think this gets moved to the techno forum?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
5g is ok, but you’re giving up unlimited wireless for unlimited talk? Have you looked into using Skype with the unlimited wireless card to gain the talk time you want?

I need the unlimited talk more than the unlimited wireless.
There plan also includes unlimited roaming.
The Sprint plan I now have gives me 500 out going minutes and unlimited incoming. I am tired of having to say call me back and get jealous when I see others using the internet from their phones.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We use cellular telephones for talking. We don't use phones for internet. Computers are for internet. Old fashioned we are.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So was I. But I decided to try to move forward with the changing times.

Better you than me. MORE money to do the same thing. Don't make sense to me. That is MORE money diverted from shotgun shells to "other stuff". OTHER STUFF does NOT make me money nor does it put food on the table. Change is not always forward.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Better you than me. MORE money to do the same thing. Don't make sense to me. That is MORE money diverted from shotgun shells to "other stuff". OTHER STUFF does NOT make me money nor does it put food on the table. Change is not always forward.

Actually, I will be saving about $1 per month if I go the new way, but the new phone will be $99.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Actually, I will be saving about $1 per month if I go the new way, but the new phone will be $99.

I have NO idea. What works for us is cheaper than if we changed to "smart phones" and more expensive plans. That may change. IF it does, then we will. Till then, hunting expenses win. The Verison
"family plans" work for us now. I only wish that we could find GOOD DUMB phones. I am SO tired of having to pay for junk that I have NO intention of using or need.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
At Verizon, all calls made to or received from another Verizon phone are unlimited minutes. I have a $59.95 900 minute plan, which comes with the Friends and Family thing. With Friends and Family I can put 5 numbers on there, and they become unlimited, as well. I've had months where I used 200 minutes or less of my 900, but used 2000 or more of the Friends and Family minutes and calls to other Verizon users.

I still have an unlimited data plan on the phone, so I tether that to the laptop quite a bit. I also have a 5 GB aircard. I generally hit 5 GB on both the phone and the aircard.

Verizon also has an unlimited talk plan for $69.95.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought that one got 10 numbers on Friends and Family with Verison. We even put FDCC on that list. Saved a TON of minutes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
We use cellular telephones for talking. We don't use phones for internet. Computers are for internet. Old fashioned we are.
Smartphones aren't merely phones that do the Internet, they're hand-held computers that make phone calls.