Inverter

RogerRabbit

Expert Expediter
Hi Guys,
I am a long time reader first time contributer. I will be starting my expediting career in the next few weeks and I went to look at trucks today. The question That I have is what is the purpose of an inverter? I looked at 2 frieghtliner M2's and one had an inverter and the other did not, they both had tv,fridge,microwave etc. The sales rep really couldn't tell me what it is used for. Any help at all will be appreciated.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If I went to buy a truck and the salesman did not know what an invertor was, I would consider finding another salesman.

An invertor is a step up transformer that allows you to run 110 volt (home) appliances on your trucks 12 volt system. You plug the appliance into the inverter and it will operate. (I run a power strip into my sleeper and plug into it.)

I am sure that other drivers will respond to this question, but let me share a few items.

1. You get what you pay for. Cheap inverters will destroy electronic equipment. You can get good prices for high end inverters on the internet. (I bought mine at Cabelas in Michigan).

2. You want about 1500 watts minimum if you want to run TV, microwave, refrigerator etc. (I have been doing this for three years without any problems in my FL70).

3. If you run one off of a cigarette lighter, you could be asking for short. The wiring to the cigarette lighter may not be able to handle the needs of the inverter and cause a short or worse a fire.

4. If you choose a high end inverter, make sure that it is properly wired. I had a truck fire next to me a year ago where the wiring in the guys "back yard" installed inverter shorted out and burned up his pretty Volvo tractor. (He installed the invertor without the companies approval - I wonder where he works now!!!)

5. By using the invertor, you do not have to buy the 12v appliances, that are more expense than the 110v. The savings can be substantial, plus you can use the appliances other places. I spend a lot of time hooked up to shore power and just plug into the building and run the appliances direct.

I use my invertor every trip and love it.

Drive Safe.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Wow, great answer! You covered it all and did not miss a thing! The truck you looked at probably had all 12 volt appliances. That is not bad just lower powered and you may compromise your batterys overnight. I would do as Larry said and spend a few dollars more for good solid equipment. You truly get what you pay for. Drive safe and freindly! And best of luck on your new career.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
instead of inverter i would go with a genset as new idle law's
that are coming out and are out you are not able to idle the
truck for more than 5 min's and saving's you would be able to
save in fuel where most engines burn 1.5 gal's hour and
genset 3 gal's in 24

RogerRabbit

Expert Expediter
Thanks for all the help guys. A few more questions for you guys. If i understood you larry you plug a powerbar into the inverter and then plug the appliances into the powerbar? With something like a fridge being on all night does it drain the battery at all? What are your thoughts on a generator as geo mentioned alot of places you cant even idle anymore and its gonna get worse. Im looking at one called rigmaster it seems pretty good it charges the battery and in the winter you can plug in the block not to mention all the usual functions. Thanks in advance and hope to meet some of you on the road

Toes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'll go with Larry's answer

Both of my trucks run 1500 watt inverters. Professionally installed. Plugs installed on both sides of bunk, one in cab area, and one on outside.
Sure enough...if you leave the truck set parked for four-five days with inverter on, you've got a dead truck. (You learn not to do that)No problem on the road, or overnight. I don't idle all night unless it's really, really cold. It runs small fans or heaters, depending on the season. And when you do get home, just shut the inverter down and switch to shore power. I don't need a generator.
Wouldn't leave home without it.
Toes

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
RE: I'll go with Larry's answer

rodgerrabbit, i cant speak on how all setups are but my truck doesn't run the fridge off of the inverter. it is 12 volt refridgerator. but you still must shut it down if your going to be home for more than a couple of days.DD

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: I'll go with Larry's answer

While expensive, prosine makes very good inverters. Worth the money if running sensitive equipment through it. In our case, satalite TV and laptop.
Davekc