Inverter Drain on MPG???

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If battery drain makes the alternator harder to turn while charging, am I dropping my MPG by running my power inverter almost all the time when driving? I run an iKicker speaker thing that makes big sound. 2 front speakers and a sub woofer in the back. Music sounds awesome and podcasts sound good too.

BUT..........

Anyone think running my Cobra 400W a lot of the time is why my mileage jumps around about 1.0-1.5 MPG on some back to back tanks of gas!

4.8L Express extended 2500.

Opinions?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
Unlike an air conditioner compressor, an alternator doesn't have a clutch, which I think means that whether there is a load on it or not, it exerts the same amount of resistance, drag, friction - whatever term you like best.

So no, I don't think it matters what you run off it.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
If battery drain makes the alternator harder to turn while charging, am I dropping my MPG by running my power inverter almost all the time when driving? I run an iKicker speaker thing that makes big sound. 2 front speakers and a sub woofer in the back. Music sounds awesome and podcasts sound good too.

BUT..........

Anyone think running my Cobra 400W a lot of the time is why my mileage jumps around about 1.0-1.5 MPG on some back to back tanks of gas!

Opinions?

Nope won't affect MPG. Difference in amount of ethanol in gas might!

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Ok thanks. That makes sense. Having spent the last 5 days traveling through 12 states I've blown through a few gallons. Of course some areas "less flat" than others too. And my loads over the past week have varied A LOT in weight!! I just wish I knew what "good MPG" is in my van. Too subjective, I guess.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Ok thanks. That makes sense. Having spent the last 5 days traveling through 12 states I've blown through a few gallons. Of course some areas "less flat" than others too. And my loads over the past week have varied A LOT in weight!! I just wish I knew what "good MPG" is in my van. Too subjective, I guess.
I would think, empty, at 55 mph you could get 19 mpg.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

BUT..........

Opinions?

Why do you need 110v to run that stuff.. is it not 12v?? And yes a alternator will drag on the motor when charging.. but I don't think its enough to effect MPG..that little bit of change can be many many things.. wind...temp..quality of gas.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Unlike an air conditioner compressor, an alternator doesn't have a clutch,
Not always true - FWIW, Sprinters have a clutch on the alternator - but it isn't the type of clutch you normally think of when you think "clutch" ...

which I think means that whether there is a load on it or not, it exerts the same amount of resistance, drag, friction - whatever term you like best.
Nope - the "drag" is dependent on the electrical load on the alternator (which is tied to the power it is producing)

In any event, the amount of HP required to operate a 150 amp alternator at full load is fairly insignificant ... a few horsepower at most.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Why do you need 110v to run that stuff.. is it not 12v?? And yes a alternator will drag on the motor when charging.. but I don't think its enough to effect MPG..that little bit of change can be many many things.. wind...temp..quality of gas...

Yes, it's a 110 volt speaker think. I think that's why it sounds so good. With the subwoofer. It's got an in line transformer but I think it's still more than 12V. At the unit.
I also keep my laptop charging on it most of the time as well as my Jetpack.
Heck, I've been known to plug up my razor and hit the high spots at times.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
But I really appreciate all the info and opinions being posted. All valuable info. It sounds like my 1.5 MPG swings shouldn't worry me too much. My biggest swings on both EXTREME ends have been from 15.6 MPG up to 19.1 MPG. But consistently between 16.2-17.7 when running 70-73 MPH and with not much a/c use.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
But I really appreciate all the info and opinions being posted. All valuable info. It sounds like my 1.5 MPG swings shouldn't worry me too much. My biggest swings on both EXTREME ends have been from 15.6 MPG up to 19.1 MPG. But consistently between 16.2-17.7 when running 70-73 MPH and with not much a/c use.

When I sold my 06 4.8L @ 620,000 ( still going @ 670,000 now)it always avg. 16-18 there good engines ..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In any event, the amount of HP required to operate a 150 amp alternator at full load is fairly insignificant ... a few horsepower at most.
Correct.

1 horsepower = 745.699872 Watts

Watts / Volts = Amps

745.699872 Watts / 12 volts = 62.141656 amps.

150 amps / 62.141656 amps = 2.413839759918854 horsepower

A 90 amp alternator is 1.448303855951312 horsepower

The difference between an 90 amp and a 150 amp alternator is 0.965535903967542 horsepower, about 1 horsepower.

In boating they use a little metric to calculate your engine's fuel consumption at wide-open-throttle (WOT) as approximately equal to HORSEPOWER/10 = GallonsPerHour (gph).

Then, approximate the fuel consumption at a particular throttle setting as a linear percentage of the wide-open-throttle consumption in RPMs. The results give you gallons per hour at a given RMP. You can more or less translate that as an approximation to fuel economy in a car or truck.

A 300 HP diesel engine on a boat might get gallons per hour of
GPH = (0.4 x 300)/ 7.2 = 105/7.2 = 16.66666666666667 GPH

That's on a boat, though, wide open, about 4400 RPM, no gears, just running. But you can do the same with a 301 HP engine and get
GPH = (0.4 x 301)/ 7.2 = 105/7.2 = 16.72222222222222 GPH

That's a difference of 0.0555555555555522 GPH.

OK, if you get 20 MPG and drive 60 miles in an hour, that's only 3 gallons per hour, instead of the 16+ gallons per hour on a boat. So, the .055 GPH used for the extra 1 horsepower will be far, far less when you're getting 20 MPG at half the RPMs than when you are getting the 3.5 MPG at 4400 RPMs.

It's about 5.7142857 times less fuel for that 1 HP, or 0.0097222222465272 GPH, and at 20 MPG that becomes 0.00016203703744212 MPG.

That's not a tenth of a MPG (0.1) or even onethousandth of a MPG (0.001), it's one tenthousandths of a MPG. And that's what it costs you, at most (if the alternator is cranking out max amps 100% of the time), to go from a 90 amp alternator to a 150 amp alternator.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are pulling quite a few amps and it is possible to affect MPG as everything runs through the battery, even the E.C.M. Do you have an amp meter installed to measure the draw?
You might want to install a second battery make sure its wired parallel just like jump starting pos. red to pos. red neg. black to neg. black you will still have 12 volts but the cranking amps and reserve power will be there. Also its best to start off with both new batteries.

The second battery you can locate anywhere but its better to have both batteries fairly close together. Do not wire them in series Pos. red to Neg. black or you will burn the van to the ground as you will be pushing 24 volts through a 12 volt system. Use batteries as close to 1000 amps you will have better starting and less draw on the alternator.

When was your last tune up and PM, and what is the mileage on the van? It might be ready for a good tune up, PM and possibly a valve adjustment if over 150K.

Bob Wolf

Last edited:

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
So the answer is still, his music is not causing significant loss of MPG! He's not gonna save by turning his Radio off.