International engine problems

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I've heard that on the 2004 model Internationals, that the engines fail rather early. Apparently, half of the exhaust gets sent back into the engine as an emmisions thing. That gums up the engine and causes it to fail. Has anyone heard about this and possibly give me more info? Thanx :)

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
There have been some recent posts (ratwell) on that engine. I would do a search or go to a dealer and ask for recall and service bullitins on that engine. That will tell you a bunch, in addition to what issues they have had and severity.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ratwell71

Veteran Expediter
I have had many other owners write to me about the same issue I have complained about. Read my post, but like Dave said do your research. Also, consider the new EPA issues as well.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
T hawk this is the last time i will try to warn,You really DON'T want to do this deal.You may think that this is a good truck but believe me there are just too many red flags flying here.

Do yourself a BIG favor and look around,there are a ton of used trucks on the market right now and i am sure there are some deals to be had.I won't bother you again about this.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I appreciate the replies and the warnings. Nothing is concrete as far as owning the truck. The only interest in it now is making money in it for the next 6 months or so. When that time comes, we'll weigh everything out and go from there. So we have 6 months to watch the truck fall apart or not. I think you know what I believe it'll do... ;)

Ratwell... looked up your thread the link you added. Other than an oil pump advisory, I didn't find anything on the 7500 model that related to the engine. This emissions backwash has me worried. If true, you think there would be an uproar over engines dying at 300-400k mi. Possible the guy who mentioned it knew someone that this happened to. It's definitely something to look out for.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
In a previous career, I was a mechanic at what is now Wieland International. In the 3 months I worked there, 4 trucks got replacement engines straight from Navistar because they were dropping injectors, snapping cranks, and having inj. pumps fail. International was shipping in new crate engines for these trucks, and telling us to send the old ones back to Navistar's Research department. BTW, all these engines were VT365's, which was the same as Ford's new 6.0 Powerstroke, and Ford bought back the first 500 trucks that were sold with that engine...:(

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was that the Alpena location for Wieland? I get all my work done there. Pretty good bunch of folks.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Nope. When I was there it was Woodland INT, Grand Rapids, then it became GreatLakes int. Last time I delivered to the Ind. Park near there the sign said Wieland, so i guess they bought that one too.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>In a previous career, I was a mechanic at what is now
>Wieland International. In the 3 months I worked there, 4
>trucks got replacement engines straight from Navistar
>because they were dropping injectors, snapping cranks, and
>having inj. pumps fail. International was shipping in new
>crate engines for these trucks, and telling us to send the
>old ones back to Navistar's Research department. BTW, all
>these engines were VT365's, which was the same as Ford's new
>6.0 Powerstroke, and Ford bought back the first 500 trucks
>that were sold with that engine...:(
Ford bought back a lot more than that . Ford's reputation for diesels was really hurt with the 6.0 . On the other hand the DT466 is a pretty good engine . I'd prefer it over other engines available in medium duty trucks . For 1 tons I'd go with the GM Duramax . The Allison transmission is really tough .