Big Truck Insurance new authority NY

OkieSprint

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Have you considered just driving a sprinter van? The profit margin is at least similar and often higher than this projection monthly and you could own the vehicle outright rather than have the cost of leasing. Not to mention nowhere near the overhead.

If you spend you spend 10 to make 15, aren't you in the same place if you spend 5 to make 10?

Best of luck to you, I admire your enthusiasm.

Reactions: Charity's Van

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Have you considered just driving a sprinter van? YES

The profit margin is at least similar (don't agree here but that is my opinion) and often higher than this projection monthly (my projections are all worse case months, I think I can WELL out do the numbers I listed) and you could own the vehicle outright rather than have the cost of leasing. Not to mention nowhere near the overhead.

If you spend you spend 10 to make 15, aren't you in the same place if you spend 5 to make 10? No, because the bigger number has bigger profit margin potential. You are capable, in theory, of grossing $30k in one month with a 26ft 13' height box truck. You will not even APPROACH those numbers in a sprinter van. Sprinter vans also do not give you access to Amazon. You can live well strictly on Amazon Relay in the NE coast. Sprinter vans force you to get dedicated or deal with shytty brokers...

Best of luck to you, I admire your enthusiasm. MANY THANKS!

Last edited:

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Don't know if you are trying to be funny but Uber:

has done well for me, I bought my car from Avis rental car, it's at 110k miles now over 5 years. I will pay it off and own outright next May ($15k paid, $219 monthly for 5 years).

I haven't had a boss in 12 years, Uber/Lyft is responsible for 6 of those beautiful years without a "yes sir, can I have a raise sir/vacation sir" job.

You can't put a price tag on that.

Uber has allowed me to create my own hours in order to make a living and start a (second) business.

Uber has paid me well (I drive only rush hours with juicy surges) and allowed me to write off a SIGNIFICANT amount of earnings with the standard mileage deduction.

In my mind, I have always had winning strategies, take that as you will...

What do you do Turtle?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Don't know if you are trying to be funny
That's exactly it. :p
Driving around NYC, on purpose. Every day. OMG.

It almost takes someone who was born and raised in NYC to do that.

I lived in Central Jersey for a while and got into Manhattan often, but more often than not it was on the train or on a bus. And expediting I've delivered to all 5 boroughs. But in a Sprinter. I've seen straight trucks driving around NYC. Don't want anything to do with that. Lol

Reactions: Mr. Loyalty.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Well turtle you have to be a certain level of crazy to want to work in a straight truck in down town new York.....I mean if the cabbies don't hit you the guys on bicycle will.

Reactions: Turtle

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I once ran dedicated Goodyear in Cleveland to JFK...in my straight...3 round trips a week, for a year...hand load/unload indy tires...so sticky and smelly...luckily I was in and out of there during the early morning hours..if you do this kinda work, make darn sure you wear gloves while handling those tires...lol..

But after that would take loads to NYC for Towne air freight when others said no...had enough of it, and will refuse to go there even in a van..lol...

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
What do you do Turtle?
As of a few months ago I retired from expediting. I started in 2004 and then got the Sprinter in 2006. Back in May or June someone ran me off the Interstate in Michigan and totalled the van. With 930,000 miles on it, a flat tire would total it. But it was still running good until the accident.

The prospect at my age of getting a new van, outfitting it, and being out on the road another 5 or 6 years didn't appeal to me, so I'm retired. Currently I'm doing DoorDash, thanking my lucky stars with every delivery that I'm not DoorDashing in NYC.

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Someone doing Door Dash trying to call out an Uber driver in the 3rd biggest market in the USA (behind San Fran and Boston).

You guys are hilarious.

You can't drive in NYC because most of you don't have the stones for this, just like you need to think big and TRY...

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Someone doing Door Dash trying to call out an Uber driver in the 3rd biggest market in the USA (behind San Fran and Boston).
Dood, I'm not calling you out for driving Uber. I'm calling you out because I'm hella impressed you have the stones to drive around NYC all day.

I've been doing DoorDash for like 3 months. I expedited 17 years. So it's not like DoorDash is the only thing I know.
You guys are hilarious
How would you know? You don't have a sense of humor. I even explained the humor to you and instead of getting it, you lashed out. I do wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Dood, I'm not calling you out for driving Uber. I'm calling you out because I'm hella impressed you have the stones to drive around NYC all day.

I've been doing DoorDash for like 3 months. I expedited 17 years. So it's not like DoorDash is the only thing I know.

How would you know? You don't have a sense of humor. I even explained the humor to you and instead of getting it, you lashed out. I do wish you the best in your future endeavors.
Apparently I mistook this for a dig. I thought about it and see how I could misinterpret your posts and I apologize. There has been some negativity and one liners without much substance in regard to my posts. I may have mistakenly lumped you in with them.

Cheers.

Reactions: Ironman

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Welp I'm in Hannibal MO for a Monday morning drop.

I barely made it into the industry but I'm here hanging in.

1646597698188.png

I solved my problems, some by throwing money at it some by just picking up the phone and making a few connections.

I was close to just pulling the plug. I looked at my phone on occasion like "just call insurance and cancel". Once I did that I would have had a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I made calls to try to make this happen instead...

I got my insurance after pulling some moves and got my authority.

I had to fly to pick up a truck, then drive back from Phoenix towards NY without a load until Jackson TN. Got home and got my equipment.

4 etrac straps, 2 load bars a $450 pallet jack, stopper and yellow vest.

I am at least suited up...

Got a dispatcher til I figure this out.

WML

Reactions: Charity's Van

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
So I am barely hanging on I'm not gonna lie. But I passed my 3 month authority. Talking to these brokers is the worst. I am dong Amazon but cancelled a load when I got sick and screwed my early access. Should have it back tomorrow (Sunday). Setting up OTR again but if I see EA on Sunday I may stick with Amazon.

Something to be said for home every night and cooking your own meals...

I still like the business though but my survival is questionable after some mistakes.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
So I am barely hanging on I'm not gonna lie. But I passed my 3 month authority. Talking to these brokers is the worst. I am dong Amazon but cancelled a load when I got sick and screwed my early access. Should have it back tomorrow (Sunday). Setting up OTR again but if I see EA on Sunday I may stick with Amazon.

I still like the business though but my survival is questionable after some mistakes.
That is just how risky the expedit business is if you don't have a nest egg saved up.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter

Hoping you can see clear weather through the storm clouds, from where you are. Good luck

Reactions: Jason_Devore

PaidPerMile

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Consider getting an LLC in another more insiurance friendly state. Then if you go progressive the trick is go online put just put in the FMSCA requirements but use a CAR's VIN no collision no comp. They will quote the insurance LOW and you will have a LOW DOWN PAYMENT. You can pay that and this will get you ACTIVE once you get the tuck which can happen at any point you contact and UP to the needed coverages and you will just have the monthly rate change. This gets you in cheap and gets you active. I contacted FMSCA myself and they told me they don't look at the VIN or vehicle type being insured they look the coverages and if it is what they require you are in. The STATE OF NY is the whammy. It will be well worth it in manty ways to setup the LLC in another state. Consider a state where family is at or google states with low insurance and go there. I know you don't want FLA or GA either.

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Hoping you can see clear weather through the storm clouds, from where you are. Good luck
Thanks for the kind words. I am trying with all I got. I bought into some box truck you tube hype and hooked up with a mentor who I now realize was leading me the wrong way but the damage was done by time I came to my senses. I had his team dispatching me and I realized that this industry will take from you if you let it.

There are a lot of fakers out here.

The only way to combat these mistakes is with grit and determination and a hard look at who is around you. Fire people of the aren't producing, get rid of the people around you the moment your gut says something isn't right. Any other attitude and you might be out of this. I am close to failing. I fight for survival every day, trying to erase my many mistakes...

Hope it's not too late...

Jason_Devore

Rookie Expediter
Driver
Consider getting an LLC in another more insiurance friendly state. Then if you go progressive the trick is go online put just put in the FMSCA requirements but use a CAR's VIN no collision no comp. They will quote the insurance LOW and you will have a LOW DOWN PAYMENT. You can pay that and this will get you ACTIVE once you get the tuck which can happen at any point you contact and UP to the needed coverages and you will just have the monthly rate change. This gets you in cheap and gets you active. I contacted FMSCA myself and they told me they don't look at the VIN or vehicle type being insured they look the coverages and if it is what they require you are in. The STATE OF NY is the whammy. It will be well worth it in manty ways to setup the LLC in another state. Consider a state where family is at or google states with low insurance and go there. I know you don't want FLA or GA either.
Yeah I finally figured that out on a chance phone call with an insurance agent. Needless to say he became my agent. Using post scan mail instead of family or friends. This is important an should be utilized...

Already active and truckin along. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: PaidPerMile