Installed my own CB.....

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
If that cb is so important to you .... stop by a quality cb shop, (like Walcott CB, on I-80), and have the pros take a look at it.

Try spikes CB shop at exit 33 in illinois on I 80 . He is a lot cheaper than walcott.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using EO Forums

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Try spikes CB shop at exit 33 in illinois on I 80 . He is a lot cheaper than walcott.

Check out my set up . Predator 10k antenna and Galaxy 95T2 200watt radio

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Check out my set up . Predator 10k antenna and Galaxy 95T2 200watt radio

How is the clarity? A major problem with the over watting is most times they sound destorted. I am not doubting you have a 200w radio because guys have them all the time but they are all the ones you can't understand when they transmit. Now if you got one that comes in clear and puts some distance thats rare.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
How is the clarity? A major problem with the over watting is most times they sound destorted. I am not doubting you have a 200w radio because guys have them all the time but they are all the ones you can't understand when they transmit. Now if you got one that comes in clear and puts some distance thats rare.

Clarity is great and gettin good comments from driver all over the road. Another thing , You tended to rip on me about Spikes CB shop . Well at least you can see what he's doing to fix your radio (IE: he fixes it in front of you ) UNLIKE WALCOTT CB (Where they run into a back room and poof !! 10 minutes and your radio is fixed and has better mod than before.)

There is a new trend of shop that are going to the idea of fixing the radio in front of you because of "BACK ROOM" mistrust. 131 cb shop in Grand Rapids Mich. will analyze, fix, and retest your radio for a nominal price (Ps- I've known Darren, the owner, for about 20 years and he is a great tech) Right in front of you

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Clarity is great and gettin good comments from driver all over the road. Another thing , You tended to rip on me about Spikes CB shop . Well at least you can see what he's doing to fix your radio (IE: he fixes it in front of you ) UNLIKE WALCOTT CB (Where they run into a back room and poof !! 10 minutes and your radio is fixed and has better mod than before.)

There is a new trend of shop that are going to the idea of fixing the radio in front of you because of "BACK ROOM" mistrust. 131 cb shop in Grand Rapids Mich. will analyze, fix, and retest your radio for a nominal price (Ps- I've known Darren, the owner, for about 20 years and he is a great tech) Right in front of you

No I didnt rip on you for recommending that shop. I just stated you get what you pay for. When you mention they are alot cheaper, quality comes to mind. Do I want someone who is not in the same range working on my radio? Well it depends on a few things such as overhead. Does this guy have a big shop he is paying for or does he rent a booth from someone? Thats what I look at when searching for work.

If he did good work for you that is great. That would make me comfortable with letting him rip my radio apart.

So all this aside I wasnt ripping on you just saying it isn't always about the price.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Single antennas are the way to go these days, Ive had a Wilson Trucker 2000 for about ten years it works as well today as it did then, My Cobra CB has the big finals and its been tweaked, and tuned, I use a Noise cancelling mic with Talkback. I often have guys asking me about my AMP.....Its not a fancy setup or expensive, its clean and walks the dog, its simple....my radio is an OLD Nightwatch Cobra thats got an easy million miles on it and its been in and out of several trucks....

Simple is better, all the bells and whistles, Amps-Boosters-Fancy Dual antennas pointed forward etc dont have anything on this old reliable setup...

Most guys simply install the wrong coax, MINI COAX IS JUNK....use the good stuff, Buy it from a CB Shop or a reputable dealer with the ends installed and TEST IT, I recommend you buy one of the hand held SWR testers as the built in ones can be thrown way off due to the nature of the meters design....

Ive used many good CB shops and I suggest you have any radio etc you buy tested with a SWR/WATT/MODULATION meter installed so you can see what the actual output is,

Astatic PDC2 - 100 Watt Power & SWR Meter
The PDC2 test instrument is a compact 3-function test meter designed to indicate the condition of any 52 ohm antenna and antenna coax used for CB radio operation by testing for Standing Wave Ratio (SWR), relative RF power, or field strength. Tuning of transmitters can also be accomplished when using this meter as a field strength meter. Also, comparing antennas can be accomplished with this meter. It is designed to be used for base stations or mobile operations and can be permanently installed in the antenna system without any measurable loss of power.
Features
Maximum Power Input: 100 Watts
Frequency Range: 24-30 Mhz (HF)
SWR Accuracy -/+ 5%
RF Power Accuracy -/+ 10%

There are better versions made by DOSY, but the price is considerably higher, but again you get what you pay for...

tillerman

Seasoned Expediter
They are a headache, I think most dual antenna setups usually use 1 antenna for the CB and the other for the TV.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Any suggestions for a single antenna, have new Cobra 29, equiping a truck after previous driver moved on...

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most newer trucks the mirrors dont ground as well because of the plastic mounts and the tubing being powder coated. Had this issue with my truck different radio.
A simple ground may be all you need. You will need 20ga stranded copper wire, shrink tubing, stainless steel connectors if you can find them. Make sure one pair will fit onto the metal antana mount bolts TIGHT with no movement.
Attach one end tightly to both antenna mounts. Then run the ground inside the cab and attach to a good ground. Try to keep the ground wire lengths as close to the same length as you can.
Make sure all connections are METAL TO METAL and tight.
I recomend you sloder the connectors as they will hold up longer and have a better connection. Now srink tube the connectors to the wire to seal out the weather.
Also check the coax with an ohm meter for resistance from the CB connector to the antana post it should be zero to make sure you dont have tight loops in your coax this can cause whats called a choker and this can throw things off.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'm a big fan of the guy at the J at Lowell,In.
Been there over 20 years.
Good work. Reasonable. Reliable.
In the shop. Mon-Fri about 1500-2300.
No helpers. Quite often a line.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
I'm a big fan of the guy at the J at Lowell,In.
Been there over 20 years.
Good work. Reasonable. Reliable.
In the shop. Mon-Fri about 1500-2300.
No helpers. Quite often a line.

Are you by chance speaking of Howard? He does great work ,and so far I've brought 5 radios to him and every one of them work great. Mind you I play with the high dollar radios ( my collection includes a 94hp galaxy, a 95t2 galaxy , 2 rci 2950s and an rci 2970 along with 2 predator 10 k antennas and 2 300 watt linears)

Howard is an honest individual in a business where there are a lot of "snake oil salesman" and he does the job at a reasonable price

Joe

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, Howard.
He's not your typical radio guy.
Everthing he's done has been very inexpensive and done right the first time.

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
Well ,

Picked up my RCI 2970 from my buddy and next chance I get to get near howard's shop .... It's going in for repair ,tune up, and echo board

200 watts of power......hellllllllooooo skipland!!

Joe

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
To all:

Yes I take my CB's seriously

So quit bein so dam cheap and invest in a good radio and don't buy one of those puny antenna's from a truckstop

And if you got any questions on how to mount it .....Just Ask Me..... my knowledge is free of charge

Joe

BigCat

Expert Expediter
To all:

Yes I take my CB's seriously

So quit bein so dam cheap and invest in a good radio and don't buy one of those puny antenna's from a truckstop

And if you got any questions on how to mount it .....Just Ask Me..... my knowledge is free of charge

Joe

Boy are you always this cocky?

littlejoe

Veteran Expediter
I'm just saying that if the big trucks can run radios. Why can't expeditors.

And to top it off , some expeditor said my antenna looked gawdy on my sprinter

Dude just about got the knuckle sandwich after that comment (I was in a good mood )

Joe

zorry

Veteran Expediter
No offense to Little Joe ( I don't know him).
Am I the only guy that thinks , In general, the bigger the radio the less the guy has to say ?