Info/Opinions about Taylor Made Express

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Hello all,

Was wondering if there is any information on Taylor Made Express. Search resulted in one thread that was really old. Does anyone have any personal experience with this company?

I filled out an application with them, and waiting to find out a good day to go in for an interview.

I was told I'm applying to be a company straight truck driver (still 1099).

Pay is .33 all miles.
There is a minimum weekly guarantee, but was not given an exact amount yet.

Was told I could stay regional if I wanted, and I could stay out a few days or months, all up to me.

What do you all think of this? They seem like a pretty sound company. I was told they could keep me very busy. Thoughts?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello all,

Was wondering if there is any information on Taylor Made Express. Search resulted in one thread that was really old. Does anyone have any personal experience with this company?

I filled out an application with them, and waiting to find out a good day to go in for an interview.

I was told I'm applying to be a company straight truck driver (still 1099).

Pay is .33 all miles.
There is a minimum weekly guarantee, but was not given an exact amount yet.

Was told I could stay regional if I wanted, and I could stay out a few days or months, all up to me.

What do you all think of this? They seem like a pretty sound company. I was told they could keep me very busy. Thoughts?
1099s are for owner operators and sub contractors. If you are going to be a company driver they need to fill out a w4 form do you can get a w2 at the end of the yr. They are responsible to take out taxes if you are a company driver. Sounds fishy to me. I'd check that out.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They can't pay and treat you like a company driver and then give you a 1099. They are cutting corners to force you to pay all of your Social Security and limit their liability. The only thing that you should do with them is report them to the IRS.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
They can't pay and treat you like a company driver and then give you a 1099. They are cutting corners to force you to pay all of your Social Security and limit their liability. The only thing that you should do with them is report them to the IRS.

Report them to the IRS?????What did they do to you to report them????Nice attitude....

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Yeah I've been trying to wrap my head around the whole company driver, yet 1099 deal.

And I gotta admit, the .33 all miles (all miles was emphasized) made my eyes squint a bit, until I was told to just come in and talk to the manager and see what they had to offer.

If I'm hired I will go through a paid orientation session. I would also get paid training which involves going out with a driver (I wasn't told for how long, though).

I was hoping someone here had dealt with them first hand.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Actually Taylor made has been around for as long as I have been expediting.

one of the biggest problems in america is snitches. But I would like to explore this 1099 thing.

if taylor made or any company panther whoever if they don't actually own the trucks but instead just lease on owners of trucks and as part of the service that company offers a list of qualified drivers and a list of owners needing contracted approved drivers and if its in the lease that the company pay all contractors that operate the leased or rented vehicles.
why would this make them a employee? when he is free to operate multiple vehicles for any company he wants. your free to work when you want and take any route to your destination plus have the power to say no to any load.

? what is a expedite carrier to you

imo most expedite carriers are nothing more than a sales and marketing outfit that sells your service. tracks your performance and collects payment for doing so.if you have a cdl your always free to work for at least one other employer haven't you heard there is a driver shortage.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Actually Taylor made has been around for as long as I have been expediting.

one of the biggest problems in america is snitches. But I would like to explore this 1099 thing.

if taylor made or any company panther whoever if they don't actually own the trucks but instead just lease on owners of trucks and as part of the service that company offers a list of qualified drivers and a list of owners needing contracted approved drivers and if its in the lease that the company pay all contractors that operate the leased or rented vehicles.
why would this make them a employee? when he is free to operate multiple vehicles for any company he wants. your free to work when you want and take any route to your destination plus have the power to say no to any load.

? what is a expedite carrier to you

imo most expedite carriers are nothing more than a sales and marketing outfit that sells your service. tracks your performance and collects payment for doing so.if you have a cdl your always free to work for at least one other employer haven't you heard there is a driver shortage.

Most drivers that are "independent contractors" start to blur the lines between employee and contractor already. Now take a person that has little to no investment in the business, gets a flat rate per mile, has no reoccurring expenses like fuel and I'm sure the IRS will call them an employee as I believe most people would. If that doesn't tell you to run away from the company the ridiculous low pay should seal the deal.

wesaypop

Rookie Expediter
Thanks for all of your opinions. I'm going to go to their orientation and see what they have to offer. I want to know when pay will increase and the exact weekly minimum they pay. I'm hoping the .33 cpm is probationary. I remember something happening after 90 days but can't remember what.

I spoke briefly to a TME driver yesterday. He was a contractor. He couldn't talk long, but he did manage to tell me that he has been with them for 2 years and they have treated him well.

So again I'll go to the orientation and get more info. .33cpm really scares me, though.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for all of your opinions. I'm going to go to their orientation and see what they have to offer. I want to know when pay will increase and the exact weekly minimum they pay. I'm hoping the .33 cpm is probationary. I remember something happening after 90 days but can't remember what.

I spoke briefly to a TME driver yesterday. He was a contractor. He couldn't talk long, but he did manage to tell me that he has been with them for 2 years and they have treated him well.

So again I'll go to the orientation and get more info. .33cpm really scares me, though.

A phone call will do the same thing, without the scaring part.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
.33 a mile really scares me and I'd never do it! After taxs that's like 11.69 an hour!

depends on you expeirence and what you want to accomplish.

if he fills up that log book even at the lower rate be gross en $800 without haven to pimp the 18 wheeler. while I agree not great but might get his foot in the door to something better after he logs a few miles.plus better than a burger flipper.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Tried that. I'm always directed to the same person who tells me to go to the orientation because she doesn't want to give me the wrong info and scare me away.

DANGER! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Seriously, that's as bad as having to pass a bill to see what's in the bill. Find something else less cryptic.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Well hopefully their dispatch is more organized than their front office. Good luck and let us know what happens.

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
All types how many threads exist with complaints and warnings
Vs Taylor made

Usually if someone is bad someone opens mouth. If they have been around a long time and you don't find bad info on them then they must be doing something right.
In general. There will always be critics

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
All types how many threads exist with complaints and warnings
Vs Taylor made

Usually if someone is bad someone opens mouth. If they have been around a long time and you don't find bad info on them then they must be doing something right.
In general. There will always be critics

I don't know about Taylor Made as a company, but I know a fishy deal when I smell it.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
800 gross for 80 hrs driving time someone needs to re think their life!

Last edited: