Inexpensive laptop mount

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I searched high and low to find a laptop stand that didn't attach to the passenger seat, with no luck. Anybody else with a T300 knows that the cabs are quite tight, even more so if a co-driver wants to sit up front for a while. I purchased a home-fabbed stand from a Jevic Transportation driver about a month ago. It bolts to the dash, is easily adjustable, and can fit anyplace. After some research, I found it's quite easy to build your own. Go to www.sanus.com and check out their VisionMount wall mounts for Plasma TV's. Model number VM3 is an easily adjustable mount. Attach this to your dash, and then all you need to do is fab a tray for your laptop. Mine is made of diamond plate aluminum, about 18"X18", with a one inch lip that rises up at the bottom edge. Bungee starps fasten the laptop to the tray, leaving full access to the cd and diskette drives, room for the air card, and all the sockets on the back. All you need is 4 small bolts to fasten your tray to the Sanus stand. I don't have pics yet, as my only camera is in my phone, but i'll try to get some soon, and If you will be at the expo I'd be happy to show you my setup. If you need a stand that provides access for passenger and driver, and folds flat against the dash when not in use, this is the best way I've found.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
April last tear Billt answered my question about inexpensive laptop mount with this response:

What I did was get 2 galvanized floor flanges, an 18" piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe and a union and a 2" nipple had a aluminum pan made of .063 aluminum with 1" sides so the computer sits right down inside. When you don't want it between the seats just unscrew it from the floor flange. It only cost me about $15.00.

It may not serve you in the T300 but it should be useful to others.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have a QC on the passanger side in front of the glove box on a T300. Where would this go? I'm not sure we would have the room with all the gauges and other stuff?
We have seperate wood cupholders and drawers under the dash.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Dave- Sounds like I have the same console as you. I just re-mounted my QC holder to the heater duct under the glovebox, and then mounted the arm to the left edge of the glove box. Kind of centered on the little peak in the glovebox cover towards the bottom. It has never bounced enough to open the glovebox. I used the VM2 arm, which doesnt have the 2 piece boom, and with this setup, J can fold the whole assembly up against the glovebox, and easily use the passenger door. Use the left edge of the box door, and mount the arm high enough so that the passenger's legs fit under the laptop, and then both seats can access it. I may have found a way to put pics from my cell phone on here, so stay tuned.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Thanks to Cheri's advice I now have some pics. The quality is terrible, but i'll try to get better ones in the morning when it's daylight.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I really like that set up. Great job. The only question I have is if the QC is on the floor @ heater, is there enough leg room for the passenger? Or am a better off mounting the QC on the side of the seat at floor level or something?
I seen a Pete 330 that had the QC mounted on the side of the door. Not sure I would be sold on that.....too hard to read.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Actually, I removed the QC holder to put the brain box for the XM there. I'll probably remount it, ohh i don't know, the side of the seat against the door. It usually just sits on the passenger seat anyway. It seems to be fine there. When j rides up front, we usually laid it on the floor between the seats anyway.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I had a QC floor mounted stand installed in my van in Akron,Ohio for only $80 completely installed. Works great. I can't remember the name of the place but Fedex uses them to install and repair their QCs.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I responded to a question about this before. Don't remember if I put picsup or not maybe I will later this week. You can make a holder to fit any truck, anywhere and make it to adjust to your specs and it can be done for $10 to $15. Someone above posted something much like mine. I used gas pipe fittings, plexi for base and covered pipe with wiring tubing. Velcro strap to hold it in place and a lip on front/bottom of base plate. I can use it in either seat or move it so I can sit on bed and use it.

I have my main attachment on the floor but I could have pout it on dash I just wanted to be able to swing it anywhere I wanted it.

Raceman
OTR O/O

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been using a "wall-mount" speaker bracket since 1998, which I bought at Meir's Thrifty Acres in Michigan for $19.00 (two in a box). I have had the same bracket in three trucks since 1998. It has a swivel which permits you to swing it out of the way. I use the Delorme map program with GPS, which is extremely helpful in finding delivery locations. Mike

G

The place Marty was talking about is PJ's out of Canton, Ohio. they have a stand that will hold your laptop, QC, and your XM radio for Around 100.00 for all three things.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts Express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,D5047