Independent van rates?

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
Out of curiosity, if a carrier pays $.85 per mile to a van, what would the rate be if you didn’t have to pay a cut to the carrier ?

I don’t know if 85 cents is in the ballpark for a van, but, does anyone know what the carrier’s cut is?

Or should I just ask.. What rate does the carrier charge to the shipper?

Wow, same question 3 times..

Thanks!

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
I worked in shipping a couple of years ago and we did a fair amount of expedite. Just like your operating cost may be more or less than anyone else on this forum, so it goes with carriers. Carrier A may pay their dispatchers more, have software that costs more, more expensive rent, etc. That being said, I would get quoted rates of anywhere from $0.95 to $1.40. The overall average came out to around $1.15. It depended quite a bit on how long the haul was and which facility we were shipping out of.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I looked at it a different way.

In the old days of FedEx before the idea of flat rate to the vans came about, you got 62% (I think, its been a long time) which meant if the van was to get .85 per mile, the company would charge $1.37 a mile.

Now here is the thing, I don't think that say FedEx would charge anything less than that for any run, it would put less money in their pocket.

I know you are talking about independent van rates but you got to see what the competition is doing to get an understanding on what you can charge.

Maybe I'm wrong but...

guido4475

Not a Member
Well I looked at it a different way.

In the old days of FedEx before the idea of flat rate to the vans came about, you got 62% (I think, its been a long time) which meant if the van was to get .85 per mile, the company would charge $1.37 a mile.

Now here is the thing, I don't think that say FedEx would charge anything less than that for any run, it would put less money in their pocket.

I know you are talking about independent van rates but you got to see what the competition is doing to get an understanding on what you can charge.

Maybe I'm wrong but...

No, Greg, you are correct. I used to do a few loads on the side for some people, cash basis, and sometimes I would call different companies to get a price quote on the load I was doing.Made alot of extra $$ that way back in the day while I was running local.