Canada In and out of Canada

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need to go to Canada to pick up some equipment and bring it back into the states. I am hoping that someone can give me basic guidelines that I need to be aware of so that this can be a simple task. In the past I have always gone across in my own van, bringing back material my company purchased, and kept the value under $2000. That way, I could come through the tunnel, pay $5.00, show invoice etc. and the trip was quick and easy.

This time I am driving across empty in my 40' (12'6" h) Freightshaker and bringing back about $10,000 worth of merchandise that my company will be selling in the US. I will be using a broker (Livingston) and know that they need to have paperwork faxed to them 2 hours prior to my arrival. (I will call them to make sure everything is in order before I get to the bridge).

First, can I go over to Windsor through the tunnel? My truck will be empty. If I have to go over on the bridge, what lane do I need to be in, or do I just get in line with the other trucks?

Secondly. Since this is the first time for me to make this type of trip, I have no special passes or other information, and will be crossing on my driver's lisc., proof of citizenship (U.S) etc. The other thread about Canada was discussing bar codes, PAPS etc. Does that apply to me hauling in my own made in Canada equipment?

Assuming that I have everything in order and sit in that long line to get on the bridge, what happens on the Windsor side and then on the US side?

Thanks for any help and Drive Safe.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would call the broker and they should be able to tell you everything you should have to do you want to do it right the first time as it could be painful if not

Easy Money

Expert Expediter
Its really not a big deal. Just have all your paperwork in order. You can get a form from the Candian DOT that will expidite your entry. E:)

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
See the note about freight coming into U.S. Better fax that P.A.P.S. to customs two hours ahead, or you will get the $5000 fine. By the way, it is $10,000 the second time. And don't use the fast lane ever, unless you have the $100 customs sticker on your windshield.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the info. After reading that other thread about coming out of Canada into the US I really wanted to make sure everything was in order. I'll call the broker.

Drive Safe

boonsdad

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
coming out of canada, there is a preprocessing center at exit 177 on the 401 they will fax your paperwork with a paps that they will provide for a minimum charge. you may need to have a scac code which your should be able to get from your company. you will need to stay to the right when you come over the bridge if you dont have a fast card.