Im taking over!

Bambuild

Active Expediter
Im looking at possibly taking over my dads small fleet of Freightliner straight trucks. My dilemma is that they are 2000's and I know a lot of carriers wont take trucks that old. One was just recently on the road but my dad just cant seem to keep drivers, he just has business management troubles. I am a business owner and I have managed multiple trucks and crews in my business for 18yrs. He believes that I have a better chance of managing the trucks then he has. Right now I have 2 trucks and no drivers or a definate carrier that I am signed with. I know they are a little old and I am in high hopes of buying at least 08's or newer within a year, but I need your help. Can I get these babies back on the road with a decent carrier? Can I get decent drivers in them? Any advice from you guys is appreciated, I just hate to see my dad lose his butt on these. I myself drove for a different truck owner about 7 yrs ago, I am willing to get into a truck if I have to, and I understand driver concerns, myself.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Basically,better trucks attract better drivers.
Ragged trucks often will attract ragged drivers.
That is not a formula for success.
Sell two, buy one ?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Im thinking that with the so claimed shorage of trucks and drivers out here most carriers would be willing to talk to you and look your trucks over. But thats only a guess on my part. Are they well mainted and been keep clean? If so I think you will find a place for them just gotta start knocking on some doors.. If not ya gotta weight out how much money your willing to spend to bring em back to life and make em look good.

As far as decent drivers,,Sure you can find em but keep in mind most will all ready be working.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Landstar does not have an age requirement. It must be able to pass a DOT inspection.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I guess I should also of added:
What do you mean by decent drivers?
You could have the best driver and best person out here but if he or she doesn't pick up on the industry fairly fast its going to cost you a bit of money while you and driver go thru the learning curve.. Chances are thats going to happen in one way or another and I think 1 good way to minimize this is to find qualified expediters and put em to work.
Someone coming out of a gravel truck or what ever regardless of how good a driver he or she is doesnt mean anything if they dont pick-up on this game.
Sounds like between you and your Dad ya could make the trucks work again. Im sure you will be fine. Ya just gotta get started. G/luck and hope ya make it work out.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably would depend on what your cash reserves are. Have to remember that you are dealing with 12 going on 13 year old trucks. Nothing cheap. As for drivers, more than likely have a better shot with that equipment to look for solos and shop the appropriate company that will take those vehicles. As suggested, trading both for one good one might be something to consider with limited information.

Bambuild

Active Expediter
I completely understand that I should consider the age of the trucks and consider trading both in on one, but I also know that both trucks are sound and have both been out recently and meet DOT. I will be having them inspected here yet this week, just for peace of my mind, and taking care some minor cosmetics, the big issue is to form a good management program with proper finances, I have the cash reserves. My dad said he just cant find good drivers who want to drive but if you guys feel that there are quite a few good ones left then send them my way. So far guys, thanks for the advice and if anybody has any more, definately send it!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
You will also run into the ten year rule with many automotive plants. This limits your freight which limits revenue. I honestly agree on the two for one or maybe find a company that does more local work?

Bambuild

Active Expediter
You will also run into the ten year rule with many automotive plants. This limits your freight which limits revenue. I honestly agree on the two for one or maybe find a company that does more local work?

The 10yr rule is what got my dad into this mess to begin with, I just want these girls to make enough for the trade-in and downpayment for the next truck. I will be working daily on upgrading first thing Monday morning but even a newer truck doesnt keep the drivers in the seats. In my own personal business experiences, Im used to running ongoing employment adds, where is the best place to run adds to find the next driver? Keep in mind, I will be paying on time, accurately, regular maintenance and i am available 24/7 by phone or email.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You can run free ads on EO.
They're worth the money.
Paying on time is a good thing.
Drivers like that.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
List the position here in classified section and also try Craig's list in your area. By finding a driver living in your area you may have a better chance of seeing the truck more often as he or she goes home. Giving you a better chance to stay on top of maintenance and inspecting the vehicle.
The 10 year rule may cost you a load here and there but so does not having a lift gate or moving blankets etc etc..I wouldn't dwell on that if your wanting to put these trucks back to work that is dispatch job not to send em into those places,plenty of other docks to bump. Not knowing what trucks you have, I'm willing to bet since you stated they where properly maintained that their is still life in them. They even mightbe built better then anything coming off the line today..Maybe not as pretty but still can be put to work for awhile.
Make the living area fresh and clean and the new drivers will possibly accept an older truck quicker then something that looks like its been lived in for 10 years.
Once you know you want to be here and feel comfortably that the industry is going to hold up then I would say upgrade as soon possible. Im thinking a working truck may sell faster then one sitting in your wood lot??? (Trade in value I have no clue on.)
Just my opinion but I would be scared right now to buy anything new when I had a peice of equipt sitting in my yard that wasnt working.

greyweulf

Active Expediter
I hope to hear other members perspective on my comments. If you got a couple of DOT qualified trucks that cannot be contracted with another carrier due the age, why not get your own Authority since you already have a business with perhaps an Office Manager who also can assist in finding loads etc on Load boards?

This way, you might optimize revenue and make it more attractive for a good driver with better compensation. With Internet and many of the software tools available now I cant see why a Good Driver with some back office support take a good truck regardless of age and make money, if thats what they want to do.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
I've driven some oplder trucks, a couple of 2000 Century Class, and an FL70. For me, getting onto an older truck is fine, as long as it is clean inside, maybe a fresh mattress, tv, fridge, micro wave. Spend some time scrubbing interior down, and give them a good bath.
I , personally put more weight on the owner and his/her attitude. It won't take long to figure out if it's a good match.
Another suggestion would be to get your own authority. A good friend of mine did this at the beginning of the year. He found 5 or 6 brokers that keep him busy and pay on time. He owns a 2000 Pete with a 24'box, which has not been an issue.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Basically,better trucks attract better drivers.
Ragged trucks often will attract ragged drivers.
That is not a formula for success.
Sell two, buy one ?

This is great advice. I've heard hear from several fleet owners over the years - about the quality of their drivers. Even before discussing pay or other benefits - I want to know about the trucks, year, make, model and condition. You see a pattern after awhile.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
As a driver I want safe, reliable equipment. Sitting 2 or 3 times a month waiting on repairs won't work. Creature comforts for living on the road. Is the equipment set up to make us money? You need to get good driver references to have any chance of success. Bad drivers tearing up your equipment, missing appointments, damaging freight and poor customer relation skills will kill you.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would, without a doubt, drive an older, well maintained truck, for a owner that I could trust. I would do that LONG before I would drive a new truck for a shady owner. Each situation is different and should be taken as such.

One could look at it this way. Why should an owner buy a $250,000 truck and put a total newbie in it?