I'm not recruiting!! I'm curious...

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I feel stupid given away aFREE IPad and $1000. But it's a tool to use for the industry and personal and their kinda cool anyways. Of course it's a IPad or $1800. cash after a O/O's 18th working day.

Now the way I figure it, the average O/O works 18 days a month. Of course it varies. So 18days of work for $1800. That's $100. a day. Not much, but since I don't charge fee's EVER, It's real $! I'm not taking it out of your pocket then putting it back in your pocket. And I would take $1800!

Hopefully Panther's incentive is paid that quick! If so send me a application! Are there fee's associated with being signed on to Panther? I hear they are a good company to work for!

Im not knocking it. I'm just trying to figure out how a publicly traded company can pay out so quick without 1st aquiring the income to cover it.

(Straight trucks and Tractors only, SORRY!!) It would take me FOREVER to pay out $1800 on a cargo van. And that's why tonight I'm posting my thoughts on cargo vans and the expedite industry. Stay tuned!!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
John

Pantther isn't a publicly traded company as of yet. The paper work was put in place but that has yet to happen.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
hey I'm game I'll take the 1800 i think they are forgetting about the drivers that have been on for a while so whats your rate and true adv miles for straight 16,000

greg334

Veteran Expediter
John,
A lot of people will think this is nuts but many of us who are actually really serious about treating this as a business do not give a crap about signing bonuses or rewards.

For many of us, our reward is getting consistent work, having the freedom to treat this as a business and having a company that won't BS us or yank our chains.

It took me a while to get where I'm at, at a company that does not seem to care who I am or what my truck looks like but rather how I preform and how safe I am. I got my three year box of goodies and still have them sitting on the desk unopened because it is the business I get all that matters. Now this is not to say if they would hand out iPads, I wouldn't mind that.

I think the panther thing is a response to their "competition" - FedEx and nothing more than that.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
John,
A lot of people will think this is nuts but many of us who are actually really serious about treating this as a business do not give a crap about signing bonuses or rewards.

For many of us, our reward is getting consistent work, having the freedom to treat this as a business and having a company that won't BS us or yank our chains.

It took me a while to get where I'm at, at a company that does not seem to care who I am or what my truck looks like but rather how I preform and how safe I am. I got my three year box of goodies and still have them sitting on the desk unopened because it is the business I get all that matters. Now this is not to say if they would hand out iPads, I wouldn't mind that.

I think the panther thing is a response to their "competition" - FedEx and nothing more than that.

Here is my vision. And remember I'm not at 300% turnover like Panther and FedEx. I'm 98%retention. I know I keep saying it:D

The reason for the IPad and where it oringinated was I saw a need for the O/O to have access to the internet 24/7. And believe or not most people who apply do not have laptops or access. Because we have VF* (virtual fleet). The O/O can access his settlements and daily junk all day. Each O/O receives his own company email for company related business and receives safety issue and blah,blah.

The reason for the $1000 is a need for the O/O to have a opportunity to get a "jumpstart" financially because most guys I speak to have been brokedown and beaten by the last company they chose, or the company refuses to pay them for 45days or whatever.

It's tragic all the stories I hear daily. So with all that in mind I came up with the IPad and the $1000. It's kinda like a little starter kit for the O/O. So my intentions where honest and sincere.

The part that sucks is when the tools of the trade are exploited and people are subject to terrible business practice that makes my life hell!! I have to spend twice the money and twice the time on recruiting and convincing people that I'm the real deal. I rather spend twice the time working to secure the best rate available.

I'm also not 200 trucks strong and so when your a small company like me I have to prove myself day in and day out. So I went from 1 truck to 35+ in 7yrs, I think thats a steady positive growth pattern. We are working between now and the expedite expo for 7 trucks at best. It's got to be slow and steady.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I understand what you had in mind in the first place but my point is that many times those 'great' bonuses that companies offer don't attract the people they think they will attract. NOT what you are offering, but panther.

There seems to be a copy cat mentality, going back to the "no forced dispatched" sales thing and getting to the point that there is less and less any company can "offer" that makes them stand out, a signing bonus is I think a poor thing to do because I think that it is the performance that the company gives matters more than a bonus.

Now with that said, you are not offering the same thing, actually you are offering tools (access) and incentive (a step up) to strive for better performance for you and the contractor. By saying to them right up front, here are the tools we use and here is your access, it makes people feel this is a business that they can succeed with, a lot like the other John has seemed to understand and what attracts his contractors.

Outside of my company, I have not really seen any business centric classes that actually teach business skills. I once heard FedEx offered them but I think that was wrong. This is another incentive program that is missed. Many who don't post here but work for the same company as I do seem to have a loyalty based on the access to some things that I could not get access to at other companies, like a business class or safety class. I would think that it would be in the works and maybe this is my way of suggesting it to you and other small companies to make you more attractive to these contractors.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I understand what you had in mind in the first place but my point is that many times those 'great' bonuses that companies offer don't attract the people they think they will attract. NOT what you are offering, but panther.

There seems to be a copy cat mentality, going back to the "no forced dispatched" sales thing and getting to the point that there is less and less any company can "offer" that makes them stand out, a signing bonus is I think a poor thing to do because I think that it is the performance that the company gives matters more than a bonus.

Now with that said, you are not offering the same thing, actually you are offering tools (access) and incentive (a step up) to strive for better performance for you and the contractor. By saying to them right up front, here are the tools we use and here is your access, it makes people feel this is a business that they can succeed with, a lot like the other John has seemed to understand and what attracts his contractors.

Outside of my company, I have not really seen any business centric classes that actually teach business skills. I once heard FedEx offered them but I think that was wrong. This is another incentive program that is missed. Many who don't post here but work for the same company as I do seem to have a loyalty based on the access to some things that I could not get access to at other companies, like a business class or safety class. I would think that it would be in the works and maybe this is my way of suggesting it to you and other small companies to make you more attractive to these contractors.

Tattoo's are popular. Free tattoo's for the 1st 10 cargo vans!!:D:cool: JK

I'm gonna send you a PM in the AM. Thanks!!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
What? Tattoo's? Did someone say...tattoo's?

LoL.

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Buddy is there any possible way that I could have one of the ipads just for thinking about comming to your company for about 18 days...:D if so shoot me a p.m. i have heard good about your company and wish you the best...

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
Hey Buddy is there any possible way that I could have one of the ipads just for thinking about comming to your company for about 18 days...:D if so shoot me a p.m. i have heard good about your company and wish you the best...

Sure!! Hold your breathe for 18days and if you make it I will deliver it personally!!:D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sure!! Hold your breathe for 18days and if you make it I will deliver it personally!!:D

That could be done although not in the way you mean. Sort of like when Jupiter Jones won the use of a Rolls Royce and chauffeur for 30 days and got 30x24hrs usage not one calendar month as intended. :rolleyes:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
That could be done although not in the way you mean. Sort of like when Jupiter Jones won the use of a Rolls Royce and chauffeur for 30 days and got 30x24hrs usage not one calendar month as intended. :rolleyes:

LoL.10 bonus points to anyone else who gets that reference! :+)

Dale

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Uncle Titus, Aunt Mathilda, and Baby Fatso are doin fine. Pete and Bob say hi!

Ok... thread hijack oops lol.

Dale

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
We have a great sign on bonus program. Anyone who signs on and runs a load gets paid for that load.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I got all excited over the prospect of a PM in the morning. Barely slept at all last night, got four hours sleep because of the on the edge excitement and got up at 5 am, sat at the computer hitting the refresh button until 11am when I left for lunch but no PM ever came.

Still no PM...

Dale, you added the points to my T/A card yet? I want to get a french fry from BK.

JOHNCLARK

Expert Expediter
I got all excited over the prospect of a PM in the morning. Barely slept at all last night, got four hours sleep because of the on the edge excitement and got up at 5 am, sat at the computer hitting the refresh button until 11am when I left for lunch but no PM ever came.

Still no PM...

Dale, you added the points to my T/A card yet? I want to get a french fry from BK.

I did not send it to you. I will. I should have told you about the delay but that's where my mind is at. I spent the day on the phone with recruiting and took some of the drivers to lunch. I need to find how to do the request you ask. I am not software savy and Rob(IT guy)is out still from Vegas conference. I know, full of excuses!!!:(

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
OH JOHN you did it again.

Why not give a laptop and a days lesson with a cute secretary and give the operator $100 cash for the days' expenses?

I cannot imagine someone in this business w/o a laptop to pay bills and keep up with his or her business. I mean it's a must that a successful Expediter has to read this forum daily just to make it, my Good grief and grits gotta have it.:cool: