Illegal search, or stop by PD

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Yes I commented that the gun was over the top and he said it was because I was out of his sight in the sleeper area, I was madder about it AFTER it happened as I saw it as a BS Stop/Fishing expedition, who called in a ANON TIP about this specific truck, I had only been in town one day and sitting at Walmart most of that time. I believe they must have a warrant to enter your sleeper, But I was being polite and cooperative, I didnt want to turn it into more then it was, I have more then enough Charachter witnesses and people who would stand up for me if something were planted etc...I was more worried these two very young cops would try and cuff me or taze me, at one point I stood there with my hands folded and the officer said can you please unfold your arms, WHAT I might have a gun under my armpits, They were far more nervous of me, I am a big guy and between the two of them they might have been 200 lbs.....BIG BALD TRUCKER DUDE....after I heard the cops running the plates of every out of state vehicle I thought of calling his Sergant and complaining, but again better to just go on down the road....I dont FEAR the cops, nor do I feel it was a ANON TIP...the search wasnt in my bunk or sleeper, they basically poked there head in, smelled the dirty laundry and the search was over.....but it is typical of the tatctics being used too many times to roust Law abiding people....

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Yes I commented that the gun was over the top and he said it was because I was out of his sight in the sleeper area,
It wouldn't bug me if he had it in his hand, at the ready but pointed at the ground, while he called you out. The legitimacy of the stop in the first place is another matter.
I wonder what would have happened had you not consented to the search. Would they have (after threatening you for a while) felt it worth it to try for a warrant? Could they have gotten one based on their fictitious anonymous report or would they have sworn a false affidavit to get it? Would they have planted something in your truck to "punish" you for not consenting? It's sad that these questions should even have to be considered in this country, but that's where we find ourselves, isn't it?

Last edited:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
The people shouldn't fear their government, but the government should be afraid of the people!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
this is why to join ooida
also have legal counsel on speed dial

Mdbtyhtr

Expert Expediter
Unfortunately, often three questions are asked almost simultaneously, with 1 designed to illicit a "yes" response. They are usually "do you have anything you shouldn't, is this car yours, do you mind if I search?" What happens is you answer yes to the vehicle ownership question and the search is initiated. If you protest, the search continues while they argue with you. If you are adamant, they will stop. Either way, it won't be pleasant. I have used the phrase "what is your probable cause for pulling me over?" In response to "do you know why I stopped you?" The attitude changes completely. LE is tuff work, vehicle stops are dangerous and not without reason most of the time. If you follow someone long enough, they will give an officer reason to stop them.
Scott

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Moral of the story, don't answer with yes and no, answer with complete sentences, preferably politely in English with proper grammar.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Moral of the story, don't answer with yes and no, answer with complete sentences, preferably politely in English with proper grammar.

English and Proper grammer?? A Trucker?? Come on.
I R a Truck driver, you ain't search'n nuttin buddy.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Both are a lost art, definitely true and over rated. definitely false

We've "dumbed down" too much already. Three generations ago when the greatest generation of all did what couldn't be done an education was more important than it is today and educators actually cared about teaching rather than just tenure and protecting incompetent teachers as the NEA champions now.

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
How about this:

Q: "Do you have anything illegal in your vehicle?"
A: "No."
Q: "Then you wouldn't mind if I searched it at this time?"
Q/A: "Before I answer that I have to ask, do you have anything in your pockets or on your person that, if you claimed to have found it in my vehicle, would cause me trouble or could result in some form of charges against me?"
A: "No."
Q: "Then you wouldn't mind if I searched you at this time, would you?"

Not sure how that would go over (probably not well, I'd guess), but it might be worth trying sometime.

xxiv24

Expert Expediter
How about, "Q: Aren't you a public servant?"
"A: Yes."
"Solution: Fetch me a glass of water."
:D:D:D:beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using EO Forums

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We've "dumbed down" too much already. Three generations ago when the greatest generation of all did what couldn't be done an education was more important than it is today and educators actually cared about teaching rather than just tenure and protecting incompetent teachers as the NEA champions now.

Amazing how this thread has gone from illegal search by police to union bashing. :mad:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Union bashing is always appropriate.

I've got 19 years union membership. My brothers have probably 70 years between two of them, my father 30 plus.
If all you know is being on the outside,looking in,at the UAW,I understand your resentment.
I hated you UAW when I hauled Auto Parts.
After owning non-union and union companies,my father's most successful years where those that he owned,and grew,a union gas hauling company in Chicago.
He ran it very well, and had a great group of loyal employees.
I'm still not a fan if the UAW.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I've got 19 years union membership. My brothers have probably 70 years between two of them, my father 30 plus.
If all you know is being on the outside,looking in,at the UAW,I understand your resentment.
it's not just the UAW. Trade union-ism is unethical and immoral at its core.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I'm not giving consent for a search.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Too far off topic to continue here.
( don't know where that quote came from. I've got to stop doing this before my first coffee. )

Last edited:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Do they not put the sticker on the bottom corner passenger side of the windshield any more to show you passed so they ignore you for the rest of the quarter?

lol The little stickers don't matter anymore. I had two level ones within 3 days of each other. One in New York, I passed just fine and got my new quarter sticker, then three days later got pulled in by Knoxville TN. The guy said he was sure I had an slight oil leak on my oil pan. Said looked like the gasket was leaking. I told him I just had the oil changed, there was no oil level changes and no oil on ground, and that I had just been DOT inspected 3 days previously, the guy insisted I did have an oil leak and put it on the level one. So I delivered my load, dropped out of service, took the truck to Freightliner, and of course on the receipt it clearly states "No leaks found". Now because this smuck put it on the level I get three points that I do not deserve! :-(

Sadly, a few years ago, If I had read this thread I would have argued that the poster was full of hogwash, that this could not happen! My husband was a 23 year police veteren before we started expediting. Now SADLY I have no problem believing it! We are amazed at the way these DOT officers act! There are some really nice ones, but it seems for the most part they have chips on their shoulders, bad attitudes and just downright rude!