If Your Gonna Do This

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
Hey Gang,

For the folks looking to get into Expedite. If your going to get into this business make sure it is what you want and once you are in, grind it out.

I got into it with my brother, (more his idea than mine) made the initial investment got with a good carrier and some of the problems were those we put upon ourselves. The different backgrounds we had. My brother worked inside his whole carrer and as for me I was a tour bus driver for 17 yrs. So for me to go out and drive long hours and stay away from home was not a problem. I was able to adapt quickly where my brother needed more time + I had to do the first 4 months alone because something really not having to do with anything came up in his background check and he was put out of service. So after the adjustment period we just did not stay the course of running the truck properly, we did ok but I beleive we could have done better.

For a few months when the weekend approched we were always going home and this is not always good (when in Chicago and you live in NJ).Took some time to see that to make money you just have to be out there and ride it out. Turned down more good paying loads than I could count because it was'nt gong back home. The space in the sleeper is to small to be fighting or riding around with an attitude, but we got through it somehow. Then came the High Cost of Fuel, No more barttering for more pay on runs, and it had seem to get really slow when the automakers started having problem.

We panicked, seems like we were doing 2 loads a week and we both could not be in the truck not making money because bills had to be paid at home. I got luckly and had a fleet ownwer take over my lease so that I was able to get out the truck with no harm done.

Whet back to work in my old job and been their now for 8 months and my heart is just not in it, so I am returning to expediting, Why you ask? Because there is no better feeling than having your own and being INDEPENDANT. Just be patient, work smart, think out all your decisions, remember sometimes you have to take the good with the bad, keep your #'s up, and gather true knowledge. There you will find true power to accomplish your goals. And give the man upstairs a thank you also.

DEDICATE YOURSELF and you will become a true professional at this .

Everyone Stay safe out there.

AbeJr
(Truck# comming soon):)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Abe's experience and post is a good example of why we say expediting is not for everyone. As with most endeavors in life, success requires a fair amount of passion; this is particularly true in expediting.

We hear from many folks who were not successful because the same passion for this erratic lifestyle was not shared by each of the members of the team in the truck. One of the means to inspire a team to develop an enthusiasm for successful expediting is to visit a gathering of successful "over the road" folks at a truck show and share in the excitement of that event. Two such shows are coming soon: the Mid America Truck Show (MATS) in Louisville, KY at the end of March, and the Expedite Expo in Wilmington, OH at the end of July.

Now that I have the weekly cheap plug for the above events out of the way, I have another opinion for successful team operation, Compatibility. A team that does not have compatible beliefs, attitudes and personal traits will have difficulty enduring the stress of 24/7 together in a confined environment. By compatible, I don't mean the same. A smoker and a non-smoker can get along, but only if they are compatible with the when and where smoking is done; if they can't agree on that simple item, they'll fail as companions in a truck. A husband and wife with a so-so relationship will either strengthen their bond or end their marital or trucking relationship. Even Democrats and Republicans can get along, if they agree to separate their personal and professional discussions.

Thanks, Abe for introducing an interesting topic.

Terry and Rene'

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Sure, we have a respected EO Republican member who's married to his co-driving Democrat wife. They get along because he recognizes you can't get a hard-headed liberal to agree with common sense ideas, so he sez, "yes,dear" a lot, to keep harmony in the truck. The moral being, seperate business discussions from personal debates. You should see their lawn during election time; both sides competing for the prime lawn space for the campaign posters. /(^,^)\

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If Ms. Clinton were to ride with me for just a day I can dream of the route in the NC Mtns to drive real close to the guard rail on HER SIDE. So much for where I stand on politics.

As for determination and lasting it out, it brings back comments made to me. Do not buy a truck starting out, could not accept that advice but thanks anyway. I would not still be in this if I did not cement my feet into this PERIOD. I am proud of my success and most of it or all of it comes from my determination (attitude) to succeed no matter what the odds have been.

For those of you new into this or thinking of it please heed this advice. Have a passion for this it is not a job its much much more if you do not have the passion to really want to succeed at this you more than likely will fail and point fingers at everyone but yourself.

And one more thing be SMART, dont get into a lease purchase with some piece of junk or an owner who has leased purchase a truck over and over again. If you cannot afford a truck than fine drive for someone after you have reserached this person for lawsuites and criminal background than if things look good go forward and ask for personal refrences. Than after two years save up and put a down deposite on truck from a reputable truck dealer, but stay away from lease purchases two owners cannot share one truck with the option of buying it something in the time table will go wrong. Ask yourself this why would someone be willing to give you a truck? Answer, upside down which means no $ for repairs or other expenses it will come back on to you late paychecks etc....

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That person is me. During the last election there was a Bush sign and a Kerry sign on our front lawn. Guess who was for Bush and who was for the kept poodle, uh oh I might have given it away. LOL:p :p
For some strange reason, if I went out of town one sign disapeared..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The yard sign argument is easy to solve: glue the two signs back to back, & plant it sideways, lol. ;)

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
In 6 years,I'm proud to say, never had 1 Democrat drive for me.
I'm still touch with each and everyone of them,and they will all be family until I'm six feet under.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like your a political partyist to me. There must be a governmental agency that cracks down on this type of discrimination.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
How did "If your gonna do this" morph into a political debate?...
Oh yeah,I guess it is important to know left from right if you are going to be out on the road...

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
You know I was wondering the same thing, It may be time for that political forum to be setup..what do you think, lol

But the replys made still do somewhat hit the point about who you are teaming up with. And even running solo, If you are passionate about your work and take pride in what you do then you need to be able to have common ground with whom you are riding with. Even if you have different opinions.
Kinda like a post I read a few days back about the old days when
2 drivers would have an argument , then a fight, next thing you know they are breaking bread together and getting the job done.

The post was me sharing what I have learned in the almost 2yrs I was out there. Something for the Newbies to consider in their thoughts of getting into the business. As I am returning soon I to still consider myself in that category. So I hope it is still being read.

And for the Newbies just finding this site I want to say to them this is one of the best places for your information and some good advice. I have been making post regularly and have been able to accomplish and make changes to the way I have set-up myself to be a better Experditor. So make your posts and take from them what you need, and do not close your mind to just reading what YOU WANT TO HEAR. Like I put in some other post take the good, the bad and the ugly and will be ahead of the game or at least in the running

Again many thanks to all the guys and gals here at EO

AbeJR
(Truck# comming soon):)

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Broom,
If MS Clinton rode with you for a day you would not run in the far right lane, you would probly just drive off the mountian to get some relief, and being the good guy that you are, give the rest of us some relief by taking her with you.LOL (Bill would probly attend your funeral instead of hers)

Only joking,
Dan

tenor2210

Expert Expediter
>Hey Gang,
>
>For the folks looking to get into Expedite. If your going to
>get into this business make sure it is what you want and
>once you are in, grind it out.
>
>I got into it with my brother, (more his idea than mine)
>made the initial investment got with a good carrier and some
>of the problems were those we put upon ourselves. The
>different backgrounds we had. My brother worked inside his
>whole carrer and as for me I was a tour bus driver for 17
>yrs. So for me to go out and drive long hours and stay away
>from home was not a problem. I was able to adapt quickly
>where my brother needed more time + I had to do the first 4
>months alone because something really not having to do with
>anything came up in his background check and he was put out
>of service. So after the adjustment period we just did not
>stay the course of running the truck properly, we did ok but
>I beleive we could have done better.
>
>For a few months when the weekend approched we were always
>going home and this is not always good (when in Chicago and
>you live in NJ).Took some time to see that to make money you
>just have to be out there and ride it out. Turned down more
>good paying loads than I could count because it was'nt gong
>back home. The space in the sleeper is to small to be
>fighting or riding around with an attitude, but we got
>through it somehow. Then came the High Cost of Fuel, No more
>barttering for more pay on runs, and it had seem to get
>really slow when the automakers started having problem.
>
>We panicked, seems like we were doing 2 loads a week and we
>both could not be in the truck not making money because
>bills had to be paid at home. I got luckly and had a fleet
>ownwer take over my lease so that I was able to get out the
>truck with no harm done.
>
>Whet back to work in my old job and been their now for 8
>months and my heart is just not in it, so I am returning to
>expediting, Why you ask? Because there is no better feeling
>than having your own and being INDEPENDANT. Just be patient,
>work smart, think out all your decisions, remember sometimes