If you drive T/T for FECC...

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
We are due for orientation next Monday, leasing from ES. I've done as much research as I can here on them, they have a good rep here. My question is: How are things right now? I realize this traditionally a slower period anyway. Do things seem to be improving and are you staying reasonably busy? Thanks for your input.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
Apparently not, as all paperwork and tests are done and all we are doing now is waiting for Monday.

Confirmed this morning they DO have rigs. whew!

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well I guess that's good?

FedEx has a habit of bending the rules and putting inexperienced people behind the wheel for fleet owners, some do well while others are a risk to everyone on the road.

All tractor drivers (E units) must have:
  1. One year minimum, verifiable tractor driving experience within the past two years of the driver application date or
  2. Pass a road test from a commercial driver training school pre-approved by FedEx Custom Critical. Drivers with less than six months' experience will be flagged as ‘co-driver only’ and a fully qualified driver must accompany the co-driver until the required experience has been fulfilled (i.e., four months verified experience + two months as ‘co-driver’ with a fully qualified, experienced driver).

I noticed that FedEx Expedited services now seem to include Freight.

Good luck.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Well I guess that's good?

FedEx has a habit of bending the rules and putting inexperienced people behind the wheel for fleet owners, some do well while others are a risk to everyone on the road.

Based on the qualifications you just posted where did they bend the rules? As far as being a risk to everyone, how do you figure that? Do you think that drivers should not be hired until they have 25 years of verifiable experience?

I noticed that FedEx Expedited services now seem to include Freight.
Whats that got to do with the price of admission?

Good luck.
Thats all you really needed to say to begin with.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Based on the qualifications you just posted where did they bend the rules? As far as being a risk to everyone, how do you figure that? Do you think that drivers should not be hired until they have 25 years of verifiable experience?

I didn't say the rules were being bent for him, I wondered if it was still in effect - the experience requirement. Doesn't FedEx have a habit of waiving the rules to get a fleet owner someone in their truck?

I know of a few here on EO that it was the way they got into a truck - bending the rules to get the No Experience people in the seat.

I think if it is a year or two years, then that is what the company should stick to - that's all.

The same goes for White Glove, if they are telling contractors 6 months of good service to be considered to get into the program and then putting inexperience people right out of the DMV getting into White Glove, it cheapens the service for the customer and actually shows the contractors who are working toward that 6 months that rules mean nothing.

I brought up the freight issue because I haven't seen it before on their web site and wondered about it. I keep hearing from CC contractors that freight has nothing to do with CC, but then I see they are presenting a unified expediting front and heard that they are outsourcing the work, so what does that all mean Alfie?

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
I never heard or read two years. I did clarify with Fed Ex safety this morning that I am good to go and they said yes. I was trained by and drove for Schneider and from personal experience that place is anything but a CDL diploma mill.
More than half the class washed out.
However after all was said and done my co-driver and I decided to go with straights after all. We have been told by more than one person that the s/t drivers make more and I don't have to screw around with trying to hang my body out the door of an auto KW and keeping both feet on pedals at once when I back. Plus they want to move us into white glove once we are eligible/cleared and all that. I don't know how long it takes to move into w/g. Right now just focused on getting started and learning the ropes.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
If it was me I would stay with the T/T if for no other reason than to keep my class A "valid" with current experience. But to each their own.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
If it was me I would stay with the T?T if for no other reason than to keep my class a "valid" with current experience. But to each their own.

I know. We did consider that, but we have time to try straights and then move back to t/t if we wish. I love driving rigs but ultimately this IS about money (or else why are we doing this?) and if the money is as good or better and headaches less, well thats worth trying and sticking with. And the ES straights are class 8 front ends sitting way high and in the summer I will still be able to look down into 4 wheelers and see highly provocative sights from time to time. :)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually I'm with Jim, and also the T/T seem to be the most versatile of the three levels and most of those seem to be making good money.

I think, maybe Jim or Layout or IRT can chime in but the dwell time is a lot less on average with a T/T.

And with my 4.5 years or so into this business I had the chance to be in a T/T, I would be the h*ll out of the straight.

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
So why don't you? Do you not have a CDL-A? Or is it the recent experience thing? Although I doubt its happening now, I know a number of companies will hire you and run you through a refresh course, including the one I worked for.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't, that's the problem but thanks for the offer. It is a long story what happened, not a pretty one. I had to do this on my own but I had a lot of driving experience, even taught, so it was nothing.

I got work if I had class A but it is something that it is easier for me right now to just about keep this truck moving and nothing else until the in-law issues go away which has been the biggest headache I have for the past two years.

The T/T offers more opportunities - that's seems to be a solid fact.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I never heard or read two years. I did clarify with Fed Ex safety this morning that I am good to go and they said yes. I was trained by and drove for Schneider and from personal experience that place is anything but a CDL diploma mill.
More than half the class washed out.
However after all was said and done my co-driver and I decided to go with straights after all. We have been told by more than one person that the s/t drivers make more and I don't have to screw around with trying to hang my body out the door of an auto KW and keeping both feet on pedals at once when I back. Plus they want to move us into white glove once we are eligible/cleared and all that. I don't know how long it takes to move into w/g. Right now just focused on getting started and learning the ropes.

You sure want to keep in mind how long you can drive a straight before you lose your experience in a E Unit and have to start all over. You might even consider moving back and forth if ES has WG E units.

Are all of the E units with ES dry boxes? That is the only way I can see you making more is to be in a T-Val White Glove Straight truck then an refrigerated E unit.