If they made a larger Sprinter type van?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
If they a larger Sprinter type van that was VERY aerodynamic, 6,500 cargo capacity, 210" long inside (4 skids deep), and 86" tall inside (2 high), gas powered Ford or Chevy drivetrain for about $45,000, would you be interested?

We would. What say you?

Monty

Expert Expediter
If you wish it to also be below 10,000#, you have left only 3500# for cab/chassis and body ..... good luck.

The Ultra Maxx list's a shipping weight as more than 7700#

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sir....vanning is just that vanning....you are in straight truck land now......there is limits to everything...and we are about there...and still pushing the limits....Just because one has a 12,600 chassis and then ya turn it into a single wheel setup and change the door plate does not mean you can haul 4,000 lbs without being liable......you want bigger...go to a straight and start logging....IMO of course

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You can get a 14200 gvw chassis now that will give you 6500 lb of freight no problem right now...all you have to do is be ready to log and scale.....it will be a aero body.. if you want to go down to 5800-6000 in freight, chances are you could get a 16 ft cube box van, but you will lose some of the areo....but they are available...but then as was pointed out, why do that, if you are going to go that big, then out into a dock high 25-26,000 gvw ST..10,000 gvw on a re-certified 12,300 gvw chassis is your limit, how you load and run it is up to you, and your responsibility and liability....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I guess that I should have put a little more definition in here. Please consider that such a vehicle probably would be more of interest to teams and then logging is much, much less of an issue. Yes, either the dually Chevy (14,200 GVW) or Ford (14,500) chassis would be the target. The fiberglas molded body would look much more like a Sprinter than a box truck with an air spoiler tacked on the front . . . sort of a Sprinter on steroids. The body would FLOW SMOOTHLY from the cab without any twists or turns in the airflow as it moves across the cab & chassis joint. That is the key to fuel economy. EVERY time the airflow has to change direction, even same changes, you lose fuel mileage. So, dual wheels, logging, 4 skids or 8 containers. 15 MPG gas (that last one ought to get a few comments!). Under $45,000.00 new.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What Ted said....not alwas, but in alot of cases, anyone shipping 6 skids are requesting a dock high ST....if requested and ou show up with less , not being loaded is a real good possibility...or you can hand load on your dime...been there done that....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I'm told that the floor length is only 14' long, the GVW is 12,300 dual wheel and the single wheel conversion is rated 10,000 GVW. This is 3 skids, not 4 skids. I'm told 14,200 GVW is not currently available.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
And I was just told by the manufacturer that GVW over 10,000 is currently not available, although there are a few 10,000 GVW available with about 3,400 lbs. cargo capacity. This is not what I'm looking for.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Well 1st, i have no idea who you have been talking to, (well yea I might) but if you are interested, I know where there is a 14,200 gvw gas motor truck sitting that depending on who you are leased to (what carrier) chances are it can be bought for less then $45 grand.....And the unit is on the ground..and 2012s will be available as either a "pool chassis" or as a customer order and a
drop ship code"

So if you are really interested, PM me, Ill be more the happy to pass the contact info along...

Oh and I can also tell you there are 6 2010's 10,000 gvw gas and diesels availbale in NY state....

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If you wish it to also be below 10,000#, you have left only 3500# for cab/chassis and body ..... good luck.

The Ultra Maxx list's a shipping weight as more than 7700#

You are correct in that they do show that empty weight on their website. BUT.... the website is wrong. The 10,000 gvwr units weigh about a thousand less than that. If you get the dually, you would have the weight of the extra tires, wheels and the fender extension.
Its been a while since I looked at them but I think they told me the 7700lb weight come from the 14,xxx lb unit.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I just dont see the advantage of a unit where you have to log and scale. Why not go ahead and get a ST ? The unit you descibe, as a gasser, will be lucky to get better mpg than a ST. You say 15mpg... can you prove it ?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What Rocketman said....7700 for a single rear wheel app is wrong...and while I know where the 14200 chevy is sitting, I'd never buy it...but then there is that old say about butts and seats and seats and butt"....

Oh and i think one would be hard pressed to get 13 out if the 14200 gvw...I think that is a 456 rear axle ratio

And one more thing to keep in mind, Cargo Max and Ultra Maxx / Terra Maxx are 2 TOTALLY seperate and different companies and their trucks are NOT the same nor are their bodies manufactured by the same company.....They are both good trucks, but not the same..The 14200 unit I know of is a Cargo Max...

I know of 5 Cargo Max's in this business 3 with Load 1, does anyone know of any Maxx Group (Ultra Max) vans in expediting??

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
At the Expo I spoke with the mfg of the Ultra Maxx ..... forgot his name.

If I were buying another unit, this would be my choice. The six wheel verison, derated to 10,000#'s ..... the cargo weight would be about 2500# .... the advantage would be the increased cube size. I miss a lot of loads in the Sprinter because I only have 8' of cargo floor, after the sleeper, which I would insist on in any new unit.

I miss a lot of Steelcase loads because of length, and they pay well! Also the power companies need at least 10' for those sections of certified pipe.

Weight is not important to me, neither are 3/4 pallet loads.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
You are right about the axle ratio being lower (higher numerically) however, the transmission changes as well. All the things that happen along the way from the engine to the tire affect the mileage. However, the real focus for an expediter vehicle has to be aerodynamics. Find a vehicle that REALLY focuses on minimal frontal area, absolute minimum air directional changes along the body, smooth underbody, and especially how the air flows into the vacumn created behind the vehicle at highway speeds, and you will be amazed how the MPG will increase. No manufacturer in our market addresses this nearly as well as it could be.