Ice road trucker

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Yea, it was aired a while back. Pretty cool.

I watched it after I read the article on the haul road truckers in Alaska.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I saw a show about those guys a couple of years ago. They make serious $'s. But, working in -70f doesnt sound like fun. I bet they have to use some good fuel additives to keep their diesel from gelling.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked with a fella that did it for a season...and the bonus pay when the ice was softening and it was waving under tire actually the road was lifting and heaving like waves!!! Great money!!! Not for the faint of heart.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
This is a new series they are going to run. The show a while back was a one time thing.

For this series, they attached cameras all over trucks, even underneath, and taped for weeks. The previews showed footage of ice cracking under a truck as he was driving over it. Crazy stuf!

Should be a good series, starts Sunday night at 10pm Eastern.

http://www.history.com/

http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers

Check out the video of them using a banana for a hammer, and the CB video is kinda cool too!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Last year a German fella drove on the highway up near Tuktuyuktuk (bad spell), he won a wish come true thing and the radio stn paid for him to come over and drive (short part) and work on the ice highway.

Rob Fis

dpea9

Expert Expediter
I haven't seen or even heard about the show. (I don't watch much TV)
I drove winter ice roads in Alaska. That is roads they build in the winter by spraying water and then blading it. Makes a good road and the companies can go places they otherwise wouldn't be able to get to in a truck. Usually chains on all tires. Fixing broken chains all the time. Boy that is fun at the sub-Zero temps. I don't know if that is what the show is about but that is my experience. :+ :+

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
My step father watched the show and he asked me, "do truck's have auto-pilot?". I said...um...not that i'm aware of...why? He said he saw one fellow reach down and fiddle with something under the steering wheel, then he went back in the sleeper and drew the curtain so he could go to the bathroom. I did'nt see the show. Does anybody know what that was all about?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On one episode I saw the guy set the cruise and then maybe put a bungee from the brake pedal to the bottom of the steering wheel and went back long enough to get a different coffee mug. He was only out of the seat maybe 10 seconds though and had a view out the windshield the whole time. At the end of the episode it showed a score card and the top guy was about $11,500 for 14 days. The "season" lasts 60 days so at that rate the top guy would make about $45k. I guess that's a years pay for the average Swift/Hunt/Schneider guy but there must be more that they haven't mentioned on the parts I've seen to make doing that worth it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Last night they said they expect to make up to $75,000 in the 2 month season. They're paid according to weight and type of freight. Those big top heavy loads that Hugh likes are the 'money loads'. He's ahead after missing a whole day with tranny probs.

I think the rookie is gonna quit.. he keeps talking about how he doesn't like being cold.. um.. you took a job hauling on an ice road? You were expecting Miami maybe? LOL.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wasn't there an article in one of the trucking mags earlier this year about this?

I am wondering if they would have Ice Trucking tours?

ABlairVanRunner

Seasoned Expediter
It's a pretty cool show, the only thing I didn't really like is the overdub of cracking ice sound effects. The editors found it necessary to "add" to the video, but what can you expect from reality tv.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
These guys are the ultimate expediters. I watch and wonder why they don't run teams. Doesn't seem like they comply with HOS either. Looks like the guys making the most money without the danger are the guys in Lee's Garage.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One driver said the constant sound of cracking ice would drive ya crazy if you concentrated on it too long...I think its more amplification then an overdub. I guess considering it's not even a "legal road" no HOS would apply. But in that last episode the emergency responce fella said penalties are steep if they run off the road asleep. 2nd offence your banned from the road.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

I dont think the money is worth the risk.could you drive 40 hours straight just to go maybe 600 miles?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I watched 3 hours of the show tonight. They obviously are not required to keep log books or run under the HOS rules. Once in a while it looks like a little BS when they are talking temps of -35 but they have no heavy winter clothing on.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Rich alot of those guys sound like downeasterners from the accents newfoundland, Nova scotia...no sense, no feeling...*L*