Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Showtimes,
my 07 338 does the same thing sometimes when it rains.

It goes away after about an hour. Im sure its water in the harness somewhere

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums mobile app

showtimes2

Rookie Expediter
Interesting that you mentioned that, there was some light rain off and on during the drive down. I have been in some pretty hard rains in the last week, but it's a possibilty. Thanks

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey GTS my '07 268 7.7L/Allison turned on the check engine light and went into safe mode after I stopped to unload and restarted. I drove about 5 miles at 25mph then I checked all fluids including transmission. Disconnected the battery cable and added 1 quart of atf. Still no power. Limped back to the dock and shut down. It set for about 30 minutes, I restarted and engine the light stayed off and it had normal power. I stopped 10 miles away at a shop and after restarting it turned the check engine light back on to stay. Their code reader showed an ABS relay They bled brakes since I had a spongy pedal and that turned on the ABS light. Then the code reader would no longer connect to the truck.
Any ideas? No one in the city, 150 miles away from home, has a code reader except them and I am looking at a $1000 tow bill to get it here!

If I'm not mistaken, you've got a button under the dash you can push to retrieve abs codes.

However, nothing in the ABS will turn on the check engine light.

No generic code reader that I'm aware of will get anything out of the engine.

showtimes2

Rookie Expediter
Ate the tow bill and the dealer has it and says that the actuator is bad and it needs a new turbo. He says they plugged in a new actuator and the light went off. Could this be a stuck actuator that needs antiseize that you mentioned in the past??? Turbo is $2600 + $240 install kit and labor and tax for a total of over $3900. ouch.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Ate the tow bill and the dealer has it and says that the actuator is bad and it needs a new turbo. He says they plugged in a new actuator and the light went off. Could this be a stuck actuator that needs antiseize that you mentioned in the past??? Turbo is $2600 + $240 install kit and labor and tax for a total of over $3900. ouch.
that's the one. Make sure the little heat shield on the front of the exhaust manifold still exists, or the new one will quickly fry.

Might check that labor cost, it only takes about 4 hours to swap. Unless a bolt breaks, which is entirely possible.

Bob Loblaw

Rookie Expediter
11-14 have the burner system. 11-14 trucks that are primarily on the highway have the least amount of problems. Rollbacks probably have the most issues due to long idle times and tons of stop and go driving. Quite a few of these problems can be mitigated by adequate driver training.

Can you give me some tips on driver training to reduce DPF issues?

Background: I own a shredding company with 11 mobile paper shredding trucks. They spend hours and hours at idle or running off of PTO. I have frequent problems with my trucks, especially DPF related issues.

So far my Hino trucks are running pretty well. (knock on wood.) I just had some injectors replaced on one (at 30k miles), but it was warranty. I'm worried about these trucks as they get older. (I also have Sterlings, Freightliners, and an International. ALL have DPF issues.)

What should I focus on in training?

Thanks for all your info you provide. You've been a great contributor to this forum.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Background: I own a shredding company with 11 mobile paper shredding trucks. They spend hours and hours at idle or running off of PTO. I have frequent problems with my trucks, especially DPF related issues.

So far my Hino trucks are running pretty well. (knock on wood.) I just had some injectors replaced on one (at 30k miles), but it was warranty. I'm worried about these trucks as they get older. (I also have Sterlings, Freightliners, and an International. ALL have DPF issues.)

Thanks for all your info you provide. You've been a great contributor to this forum.

With that screenname ,I figured you had a fleet of airport stair cars

Right now, there is no appoved method of doing a regen with the pto on. However, I'm sure it is possible. There are enough settings in the customization menus to set it up to do anything you want, and I'm sure there is a method to treat pto time as driving time and allowing what's essentially a driving regen while parked. I haven't figured it out yet.

In the meantime, have your dealer set the rental car flag from 0 to1. This will allow a parked regen at any time, even with the dpr meter at under three bars. This way you can do a parked regen whenever convenient, like during a lunch stop, even if the truck wasn't quite ready.

Bob Loblaw

Rookie Expediter
With that screenname ,I figured you had a fleet of airport stair cars

Right now, there is no appoved method of doing a regen with the pto on. However, I'm sure it is possible. There are enough settings in the customization menus to set it up to do anything you want, and I'm sure there is a method to treat pto time as driving time and allowing what's essentially a driving regen while parked. I haven't figured it out yet.

In the meantime, have your dealer set the rental car flag from 0 to1. This will allow a parked regen at any time, even with the dpr meter at under three bars. This way you can do a parked regen whenever convenient, like during a lunch stop, even if the truck wasn't quite ready.

lol we tried those, but we had too many hop-ons.

If we do that, how often should we regen? Maybe do it on an hours basis? And do other brands of truck have a "rental car flag" option? (Just curious if I should talk to my other dealers about doing the same thing.)

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
lol we tried those, but we had too many hop-ons.

If we do that, how often should we regen? Maybe do it on an hours basis? And do other brands of truck have a "rental car flag" option? (Just curious if I should talk to my other dealers about doing the same thing.)

Whenever the truck hits three bars, it will try to auto regen. If the vehicle comes to a stop, or the exhaust brake is used, or if its shut off, it will attempt it again when it once again starts moving. So you can either drive without coming to a complete stop for a few miles, or you can do a parked regen.

Id do a parked regen when its convenient, and before it hits five bars. Your drivers should be aware that driving to ten bars without allowing to regen will likely damage the dpf, and the dealer will be able to tell that it was driver vs equipment error. Depending on the people at your dealership, this may not be warrantable.

walemurphsprin

Rookie Expediter
One of our units came in today with complaints of black smoke and misfire at hyw speeds. The DPR leval was maxed out. We pulled the dpf and found the motor it smoking only if the exhaust brake is used. And the dpf had soot all the way through the outlet. The dpf is only 2 months old. Is the DPR still usable. And how can I test injector with rhino dx

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
One of our units came in today with complaints of black smoke and misfire at hyw speeds. The DPR leval was maxed out. We pulled the dpf and found the motor it smoking only if the exhaust brake is used. And the dpf had soot all the way through the outlet. The dpf is only 2 months old. Is the DPR still usable. And how can I test injector with rhino dx

Pm me your phone #. The answer is too long to type.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
We're doing an experiment on a customer's truck (with permission). There's a hundred different customization options with PTOs, regens with PTO running, etc. No official method on how to do a manual or auto regen with the PTO active, but I found a combination that works.

Will update when I get some feedback. This is mostly for rollbacks, trash trucks, and mobile shredders.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

Bob,

A local tow company brought a rollback in with complaints of having to regen too frequently. Like your trucks that sit running with the PTO on, rollbacks accumulate many hours sitting with the PTO in use, and do many short trips. We had set the truck up with the 'rental flag' set to 1, which allowed them to manually regen at any time. Still, the complaint remained.

I looked in the system protection data, the truck had done more manual regens than automatic. So they're using the feature, but about every hundred miles or so, the truck will want to regen, and since it's stopped all the time, it can't do it automatically. So 2-4 times a day they stop for 10-15 minutes and regen.

I started rooting around in the customization options and set three parameters to 1. Don't remember what they were called, but they had to do with regen with pto on. There are four of these options, but clicking the fourth made the truck regen as soon as it started. With the first three however, I was able to start the truck, turn on the pto, set the rpm wherever I wanted it with the cruise switches, and do a regen. I graphed the regen with the computer to make sure the DPF was running at the right temps, and it was right on the money. Changing the PTO/engine rpm did not affect it much. In other words, it worked great. If you'd like, I can look up these parameters so you can have your local dealer do the same.

Bob Loblaw

Rookie Expediter
Bob,

I started rooting around in the customization options and set three parameters to 1. Don't remember what they were called, but they had to do with regen with pto on. There are four of these options, but clicking the fourth made the truck regen as soon as it started. With the first three however, I was able to start the truck, turn on the pto, set the rpm wherever I wanted it with the cruise switches, and do a regen. I graphed the regen with the computer to make sure the DPF was running at the right temps, and it was right on the money. Changing the PTO/engine rpm did not affect it much. In other words, it worked great. If you'd like, I can look up these parameters so you can have your local dealer do the same.

So, basically it would allow the truck to regen while we are shredding, am I understanding that right?

That sounds great. I'd love the parameters to give to our mechanic.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
So, basically it would allow the truck to regen while we are shredding, am I understanding that right?

That sounds great. I'd love the parameters to give to our mechanic.

I'll have to attach the laptop to a truck of that era and look at the list. I'll get back to you pretty soon.

Bob Loblaw

Rookie Expediter
I'll have to attach the laptop to a truck of that era and look at the list. I'll get back to you pretty soon.

I forgot to mention this. We had brought up the idea about the rental flag setting and allowing us to do manual regens on our own in one of our cities. Our local Rush service guy there basically send that it's impossible and they won't mess with those settings.

Hopefully our guys here are a little more flexible.

Bob Loblaw

Rookie Expediter

One other question.

Our trucks do 20-40 stops a day. Is it worth it to shut the truck down for quick stops? We currently let the guys keep the truck running if it's going to be less than 5 minutes between leaving the truck and the shredder starting.

We've considered just having them shut the truck off every stop, but sometimes it seems silly when you might be spending 1 minute away from the truck.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I forgot to mention this. We had brought up the idea about the rental flag setting and allowing us to do manual regens on our own in one of our cities. Our local Rush service guy there basically send that it's impossible and they won't mess with those settings.

Hopefully our guys here are a little more flexible.

Looking at the list, it's really hard to figure out what the hell all the settings actually mean, since it's been translated from technical Japanese to English from Japanese interpreters who aren't technical. Lolz. It's the kind of thing that looks like you'll mess something up if you click the wrong one.

One other question.

Our trucks do 20-40 stops a day. Is it worth it to shut the truck down for quick stops? We currently let the guys keep the truck running if it's going to be less than 5 minutes between leaving the truck and the shredder starting.

We've considered just having them shut the truck off every stop, but sometimes it seems silly when you might be spending 1 minute away from the truck.

There is an option on the 11-14 trucks to set an automatic shutdown timer. Some companies want us to set them all at 1 minute. You could try that, maybe in the 5-10 minute range or whatever.

The starters are pretty hardy, and we don't have to change them very often.

Pretty much, the truck probably won't care either way, unless it's in the middle of a manual regen. In that case, let it run.

Bob Loblaw

Rookie Expediter
There is an option on the 11-14 trucks to set an automatic shutdown timer. Some companies want us to set them all at 1 minute. You could try that, maybe in the 5-10 minute range or whatever.

The starters are pretty hardy, and we don't have to change them very often.

Pretty much, the truck probably won't care either way, unless it's in the middle of a manual regen. In that case, let it run.

Cool. I think we'll set them at 1 minute. I'm wondering if reducing the idle will slow down the soot build up. I'd guess we could save an hour a day of idling. At least, we'll save some gas.

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Cool. I think we'll set them at 1 minute. I'm wondering if reducing the idle will slow down the soot build up. I'd guess we could save an hour a day of idling. At least, we'll save some gas.

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it.

No problem. I think in the system protection data, you can look at hours of run and idle time, and fuel used while moving and at idle. The fuel and hours at idle can be astonishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.