I Seriously Need Some Expert Advice

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Guys.

I've been researching all of your posts and I truly believe I will LOVE expediting. I do have just 1 question as this subject is THE BIG MYSTEY in expediting.

I have no debt - no wife - no kids (love it by the way) - can stay out however long - will probably buy a truck for cash
(250000 miles or less - nothing fancy) - I will approach this as a business and work.
Even in these economic times, do you feel I have the ingredients to make at least 20 grand in my pocket after all expenses - (saving for my next truck - truck repairs - fuel -food taxes - etc)

Your quick-brief realistic answers will of course be GREATLY appreciated.

Larry The Giant

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It would be good to know what type of truck you are considering...CV, ST, TT?? You looking to run as a team or as a solo? Have to talked to recruiters form any particular company and of those which are you considering?

Those are just a few questiones that come to mind....

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking at D units - freightliners - APU - solo.
Recruiters to me- may be like salesmen - don't know how inflated their answers will be. I'm thinking Fed ex or Clark.

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
do you feel I have the ingredients to make at least 20 grand in my pocket after all expenses

Don't know. I know nothing about you.

Not trying to be a smarta** here, just being realistic. Can it be done? Of course. But, there are folks out there that make it sound like they can walk the walk, but in reality they can't cut it.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Talking to recruiters is only to gather income info...you eed to know which carrier is going to be a good fit for you as well as how well you fit into their system...The carrier you sign with can make or break your business more then you might think....

As Highway pointed out, it can be done, but people enter this business on a regular basis that just don't make it, either through their own shortcomings or because they don't fit with a carrier...

So you might beable to do just fine, but there are more questions then answers to your question...oh, and a solo will have a harder time of it, and it is only going to get harder on the solo's...And is there a reason you aren't considering driving for someone 1st to learn the ropes??

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
Well then , I guess my question is - what does it mean to truly "cut it" in expediting.
That will probably answer my question.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The answer to "cutting it" is different for everyone...we all have different needs and wants...yours aren't the same as mine....

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
Actually, I will definitely be working with someone first but is it important to work with someone in the company I'm intersted in or does that not really matter at first as long as I get to understand it....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
You will learn the business, but no carrier does things the same as the next..and those things are what can make or break a contractor..lol, while a company works for oe person it will not work for all...there is no one glove fits all...you ave to learn to work within a companies way of doing things, because they certainly are not going to change how they do things to eet your expectations....so yea, if you have a carrier you think you want to contract with, thats the one you might wwant to consider starting with....

By the way, do you have a business plan???

rf1712

Seasoned Expediter
My business plan is to not spend frivolously and bank the the rest. I have no big bills - just cell - internet and food.

Once I got outta debt I swore NEVER AGAIN!!!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As Highway Star said, your question is difficult to answer when nothing is known about you.

It's like trying to answer the question of a high school graduate..."If I go to college and then medical school, and apply myself and keep my nose clean, can I become a doctor and make lots of money?" The question itself suggests a yes answer but there is no way to provide an honest yes because even people who know you don't know if you will change over the years, actually keep your nose clean, make it through college, etc.

You might think about changing your approach. Instead of asking people how much money you can make if you do all the right things, try to identify people who are making money as solo expediters and find out from them exactly what it is that they are doing to make it. The question then becomes, "am I ready, willing and able to do what they do?" And the person to answer it is you.

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Your business plan is lacking a few details, If I was a bank I would pass on you.

Some questions you need to answer to yourself and to us to give the advise you are craving for.

Do you have a CDL? What endorsements do you have or are planning to get?

Do you have any previous driving experience?
What line of work are you doing now?
Do you have a perm address for your license, once you do go mobile?
What previous personal business experience do you have?

BTW, reading about experiences on the road and actually going thru them are two different things.

I will echo what the others have said.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't know where these things come from but it seems that asking the right questions may be better than making a stand about no bills, etc...

The first thing that comes to mind is why JD ?? and FedEx?

The second thing is how many solo straight truck drivers have you actually talked to?

I mean not the team drivers but actual people who do not have their spouses or friends drive with them at any time.

The third thing is there are no experts in this business.

Forth is what do you expect to be a fair price for a truck and why limit yourself to ~200K?

Fifth, it isn't as easy as many make it out as. It took me a long time to get where I'm at and I'm happy with it while others are happy with their situation.

Highway I think is a solo owner, I am and I don't know who else is.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
There are great answers here. I'm a solo ST and found it hard to do with the big boys, but I was blessed and fell into a great gig and couldn't be happier.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The truck (used), you are buying. How much do you think you will be spending on repairs and maint. Fuel? Solo in a straight truck needs to be closely looked into. You could die on the vine if you don't find the right carrier for your needs. Why the two carriers you mentioned? Have you concidered a Sprinter, (new)? first 100,000 miles cover the powertrain, fuel will be less, no logs no scales, less revenue, but bottom line could be the same comparing solo in straight truck to solo in Sprinter or Sprinter type van.

If you do this- jump in with both feet, it is a life style more than anything else. You are getting the same replies as most new folks get.... "team with someone to see if this life style is for you. Or, drive for an owner before jumping in. Save your money instead of spending it on a truck and so on..."

2005 I jumped in with a new Sprinter, 3500.00 start-up cash with more in the bank if I needed it. BTW 1st two weeks paid that back to myself.

I want to say this again- pick the right carrier for your truck size as a solo......

Good luck and hope to run into you out here one day.....

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Your starting position is good but your ending position is un predictable. You have some good things going for you but it is hard to predict how you will feel a few months down the road. Living in a truck, waiting for loads, crappy loads, naive dispatchers, unexpected expenses, fmcsa rules, and irregular schedule can take a mental and financial toll. And, when you seek answers, all you get is a bunch of vague dribble like I'm writting right now. The fact is you won't know until you try it. I would suggest you try to hold down expenditures until you know for sure the expediting life is what you want. Working as a solo is more difficult because HOS limit the the number of loads available to a D unit. Start with a small carrier with a good reputation for loading solo units and is willing to do a little hand holding. Verify and reverify all you hear from carriers. Ask for specific examples of pay rates, miles and deadhead. If a driver has had a bad experience with a carrier you will not get good information from them. Look for a consensus of opinion. Negativity is contagious. Try to stay optomistic and realistic at the same time. GOOD LUCK!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Working as a solo is more difficult because HOS limit the the number of loads available to a D unit.

Why do people keep saying this?

I mean HOS has never been a real issue with me because I am not looking at keeping the truck rolling 24/7. It actually helps out with sleep, I have no choice but to stop.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
The truck (used), you are buying. How much do you think you will be spending on repairs and maint. Fuel? Solo in a straight truck needs to be closely looked into. You could die on the vine if you don't find the right carrier for your needs. Why the two carriers you mentioned? Have you concidered a Sprinter, (new)? first 100,000 miles cover the powertrain, fuel will be less, no logs no scales, less revenue, but bottom line could be the same comparing solo in straight truck to solo in Sprinter or Sprinter type van.

If you do this- jump in with both feet, it is a life style more than anything else. You are getting the same replies as most new folks get.... "team with someone to see if this life style is for you. Or, drive for an owner before jumping in. Save your money instead of spending it on a truck and so on..."

2005 I jumped in with a new Sprinter, 3500.00 start-up cash with more in the bank if I needed it. BTW 1st two weeks paid that back to myself.

I want to say this again- pick the right carrier for your truck size as a solo......

Good luck and hope to run into you out here one day.....

Eddie has a great point. Even though you are debt free, do you have cash on hand to pay for, let's say transmission?? $5,000 give or take plus towing. (Join a road club and save the towing).
What works for some won't work for you. Like the chef said, who have you talked to that they're situation is about the same as yours??
I would also start with a smaller company and learn the rope's. The larger carriers will over whelm you and eat your lunch.:cool:

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
Why do people keep saying this?

I mean HOS has never been a real issue with me because I am not looking at keeping the truck rolling 24/7. It actually helps out with sleep, I have no choice but to stop.

I agree. HOS does help a driver stay rested which is essential. It also limits your paid miles a day to about 500 after the trip to the shipper. You can't drive 700 miles one day and rest the next day. Also the time spent looking for loads can be a problem when applied to the 14 hour rule.

Last edited: