I need a new career.

prot

Expert Expediter
Happy New Year folks.

I have been working for the government the last 12 years, and need to get out!

I make 30,000 a year now, my medical is $175 a month. I support a wife & 3 children, & own a small house on that. So, I can't afford to earn anything less than that, anything more, well that would be a bonus, right?

I'm allready away from home a good part of the time so being on the road is not a huge issue, infact, the time alone in a cargo van may be exactly what the doctor ordered :)

Would Fed-Ex Custom Critical be a good fit?

I live 20 miles from Akron, Ohio.

Thanks all for any info advice.

Take care.

nelco35565

Expert Expediter
I certainly understand where you are coming from. I am in sorta the same situation. I am considering the cargo van route myself to see if I really enjoy it or not. Best of luck to you.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
I don't believe FedEx is putting any "B" units on right now. Better go get a real job for now. Do you have any skills from the military? Good luck for 2005.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Prot: If all the planets are in alignment with K-Pax during 2005 and you've done your homework well, you just might be able to equal your Govt net pay. And, your location would make FedEx Custom Critical a good fit. Since you are new here, let me offer a suggestion to which you give serious consideration. Talk to as many recruiters as you are able; visit the Mid-America Truck Show in Louisville, Ky this coming March and talk to all the expediting interests there before you make such a serious career change.

Consider the benefits of your Govt job will not likely be equaled by a rookie van owner/operator. ALL benefits you would receive as an owner/operator are paid for by you. Health care for you and your three kinder would be well in excess of $500 monthly. You get no retirement benefits, no sick pay. You get injured, you get broke. You will never enjoy the job security you now have.

The blue bird of happiness may well be with expediting but, I suspect, you have far greater opportunities with a change within the Government.

We wish you nothing but the best of luck with your job choices.

Terry

prot

Expert Expediter
I could cry just thinking about the bluebird. Wonderfull trilogy.

I have to get out of what I'm doing now, its too much, becoming overwhelming.

But, I also understand about job security and some of the added benefits that come with gov'mnt, but the risks outway them 1000 times to 1.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Then may I suggest the straight truck route. You'll make that much alot easier than with a van. And although you do have drawbacks, I believe the benefits vastly outway them. I would also suggest getting a co-driver if going with fed-ex in a straight truck. But if you're insistant on running single, stick with a local company.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Although fairly new at this myself I have to agree you are better off where you are. You won't make $30k a year and get insurance for "only" $175 a month in expediting in someone else's cargo van. Even in your own van you won't get insurance for a family of 5 for anywhere near that good a rate although you might do $30k in your own van.

Have you looked at lateral moves with the government? Are there other opportunities with them?

I also agree if you are determined to make the move then go to the expo and check it out thoroughly. Also consider a C or D unit.

Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
prot....
Please listen to these people...they are shooting straight.

You have a wife and three children, and you need to focus on them instead of yourself. They deserve the security and benefits your present job provides. You can deal with anything if you set your mind to it. And believe me it would be much easier for you to deal with whatever hardships you are presently facing in your job than the heartache of losing your house, and your pride.
There is nothing in this business that can provide the kind of security you now have with a government job. Wait until you get your 20 years in and are eligible for some kind of retirement, until your children are older, and you have fewer demands on you as the head of the house and provider for your family.
If you are having a hard time making ends meet, get a part time job.

I've been in the industry for 20 years, and I have seen others in your position lose their houses, cars and families thinking that this is an easy way to get ahead. This is not easy work, and it takes a special person to adjust to the lifestyle. Additionally you would have to know how to manage the income, which varies greatly form week to week.

Listen to the advice of others who are advising you to move into another area of government work... or just stick it out.
You family is depending on you... don't let them down.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Happy New Year folks.
>
>I have been working for the government the last 12 years,
>and need to get out!

If it's the federal government you are talking about, there is an important consideration before you jump. Federal government employees have THE BEST retirement and health care benefits in the nation. I base that statement on 11 years of professional financial planning experience in a previous career. Unlike most private sector benefit packages, the federal packages are indexed for inflation. That's huge and will be even huger (more huge?) in later life.

If you feel the need for a change, the governemnt is a big employer. Maybe you don't need out as much as you need somethng different. Does the government have truck drivers?

That said, my wife and I walked away from a nice state governemnt benefit package to become expediters. We're delighted with our decision and have not looked back. Of course, we have no children either. Leaving kids behind to take up life on the road is not something we would have done.

Being close to Akron is handy for FedEx adminsitrative purposes but the freight is found all over. No freight ships from the FedEx CC facility at Akron. But Akron is well situated in the freight lanes.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You need to do some of the old soul searching prot, which is not an easy thing to do when considering your family. Like Tom said, they are your #1 priority. I can understand what you are saying about the risks of going insane doing a job you cannot stand. But, I do agree with the others here in that I can't see how becoming an expediter will make your overall situation in life any easier, at least not immidiately and it would be very risky. It's the questions can I do this, pay the bills and support my family, get my sanity back, and have a long term career doing something I might enjoy? Perhaps. But I would think about it long and hard, and do some very thorough planning before a career change with your situation. The timing and family matters just don't make it sound like the right thing to do at this time when considering who you are working for now.
-Weave-

Tennesee Trash

Expert Expediter
Prot,
I will add some insight into what you say. I too was a Gov't employee, probation officer, and absolutely hated it the last four years I did it. I ,by law, had to give every probationer my personal phone #, and address,it had to be published in the phone book as well. I was basically on call 24/7 , 365. I could never go anywhere or eat at any of the local restaturants without running into someone on my case load who had a problem, that could wait ,interrupting my meal. I never had off time, had to make late night home visits where most people would never go into during the day,arrest violators by myself , be in court constantly,and make sure everything I did was asolutely perfect. It had to be perfect because as you know if you mess with a persons freedom, or money you better be right,"Every time"! I quit when my case load went to 166, all of whom I was suppose to see twice a month, once in office and once at his residence. The stress level was unreal, the pay low, and the hours long (no overtime)you had to work illegally off the clock just to survive. I know , "I would never work for "free" , you would if you had to get the job done and you wanted to stay employed. The gov't doesn't have any arbitration, unions,or employee relation dept's.
So Prot, I see where you are coming from. I have also this to add. I have no children at home, I have a very supportive wife who carries me on her insurance (HMO). I have few payments ( I knew I was getting away form the gov't), and have worked at whatever to keep going. I am now just getting my feet wet and testing the waters. I have found there are issues wherever you may go , fees to be paid, license needed, training to be had , and always the unknown "to you" factors.
Prot read these threads, then read them again , and then go for it if that is what you want to do. I am going into this with my eyes wide open and know I have made the right choice for ME. Just remember, steady pay is great until you get your ducks in a row ,no matter how painful it may get for now. Get advice on local needs, prices for equipment, # of people making a living at trucking in you area of interest. I would say one good source is to go to a truck stop find a trucker( in the vehicle type you want to drive, buy his meal and get all the info you can out of him. They are honest , and will set you straight every time.I did and never would have known what I do without their help. There is a wealth of info out there, research, and do your homework Before you jump off that "cliff", I did and who's to say I am right time will tell. I made a choice and am living with it. Good luck Prot. Tn/Trash

prot

Expert Expediter
Firstly, thankyou, thankyou all so much for the advise and information. Outstanding. Truly.

I understand the points you are all making, sounds like some of you have been in similar positions. The last couple of years have been just terrible, without going into finer details, my mind is made up when it comes to government work, I'm out.

I understand what I am leaving behind, pension wise, job security, a steady pay check and such, but morally and mentally I will gain so much more.

The decision is now what to do?

All these jobs have passed through my mind, any physiologists among you may find some kind of connection;

1. Lighthouse Keeper
2. Bush Pilot
3. Train Driver
4. Highrise window cleaner
5. Sheep farmer
6. Truck Driver

We are financialy very carefull, we live in a small house with a small monthly mortgage, we don't live expensive lifestyles, movies come from the public library etc. so expecting to earn vasts somes of money is not a driving factor, happiness is.

You are right to say be carefull, research etc. these boards are fantastic, a treasure trove of information.

Again, thankyou, please keep the info comming.

Hugo.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Best of luck to you Hugo. The choice you make is one you will need to hang with for a while so please-please-please for the sake of your family be sure.

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
>1. Lighthouse Keeper
>2. Bush Pilot
>3. Train Driver
>4. Highrise window cleaner
>5. Sheep farmer
>6. Truck Driver

Prot: Happy you're listening to all of the above. In response to the above:

1. There are no Light Keepers in the United States. Boston Light is the last of the manned lights and that is staffed by US Coast Guard people.

2. Bush already has a pilot; he's an Air Force Colonel

3. You'll need more experience if you are going to Train a Driver

4. I recommend you start as a low rise cleaner.

5. Ewe have enough kids now.

6. If you get serious about this, Take a vacation with your wife and go to the Mid America Truck Show (MATS) in March. Let us know if you're going and we'll send you free tickets. After you've read more of the archives at the site here, you'll be prepared to ask lot's of questions to expediting interests there. After that, you and your wife can make an informed decision to embark this career path.

Terry

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Terry you have sunk to new, er, um. Lows.

And I thought Tom and Louixo were bad...

:+

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

prot

Expert Expediter
Terry, first off thanks, you made me smile.

Looks like I have found a new home.

Is it ok if I just hang out around here until the truck show?

Again, thanks for the advice folks.

P.S. Terry, I have a way you can cut your fuel costs, very simple soloution, requires a small beam of light and............

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>I understand what I am leaving behind, pension wise, job
>security, a steady pay check and such, but morally and
>mentally I will gain so much more.
>
>Hugo.

I hope time has allowed you to reconsider your options. Morally and mentally will not keep the roof overhead and the table spread with food and the kids clothed and all the other requirements the way a secure job and steady paycheck will. They also don't provide you a comfortable retirement the way an excellent pension system does.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.